Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
New HS in Brooklyn that does CLEPs not Regents

L K

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 3:05 pm
Any info on the above? TIA

happy12

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 3:43 pm
Possibly Bnos Bais Yaakov. Its located on Ave I and Coney Island.

shev

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 3:48 pm
oh wow! I think thats great Thumbs Up

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 3:49 pm
Are you sure?
a CLEP is much broader than a Regent, but you technically have to study way way more material.
Also I don't see how it's possible to be Regent accredited without taking taking Regents.
What's the point of having college credits from a CLEP, if you don't even have a HS diploma?

L K

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 6:34 pm
happy12 wrote:
Possibly Bnos Bais Yaakov. Its located on Ave I and Coney Island.

is it the one that is unofficial HS for Bnos Yisroel girls?

L K

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 6:36 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Are you sure?
a CLEP is much broader than a Regent, but you technically have to study way way more material.
Also I don't see how it's possible to be Regent accredited without taking taking Regents.
What's the point of having college credits from a CLEP, if you don't even have a HS diploma?

As far as I understand, you can have a non-regent HS diploma, something called local diploma or the like.

lech lecha08

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 11:02 pm
L K wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Are you sure?

As far as I understand, you can have a non-regent HS diploma, something called local diploma or the like.

I went to high school in NY and got 2 diplomas: high school and Regents diploma. Not everyone in my class got a Regents diploma

L K

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 2:34 pm
lech lecha08,

what HS did you go to?

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 2:45 pm
L K wrote:
lech lecha08,

what HS did you go to?

Bat Torah but it's since to moved NJ (or so I've heard) so no more Regents I guess.

nylon

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 12:58 am
lech lecha08 wrote:

I went to high school in NY and got 2 diplomas: high school and Regents diploma. Not everyone in my class got a Regents diploma

Local diplomas were abolished in 2008 and even then, for the past few years you still had to take Regents (I can't remember when they abolished RCTs for non-special ed students).

I believe private schools are permitted to skip Regents though. Some very fancy prep schools do that because they say the exams are too easy.

merelyme

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 2:41 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Are you sure?

Once you have a college degree or even college credits, most places don't ask you for your HS diploma.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 6:14 pm
merelyme wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Are you sure?

Once you have a college degree or even college credits, most places don't ask you for your HS diploma.

If a student in this school applies to a college after HS, they would definitely need her HS transcipts, if not her diploma.
Although she has accumulated a few CLEP credits, she doesn't have a degree, and they will not just accept her based on the fact that she took some CLEPs during HS.

(I should also add that some college programs don't accept CLEPS at all, such as most nursing programs.
If a NY student in this situation applies to a well known* nursing school, on what basis should she be accepted? She has no Regent diploma, and her CLEP credits aren't worth anything...)

*Some nursing programs will let you register with just a GED, therefore I made a point of mentioning "well known".

Basically, I don't see what this school is gaining? I think CLEPS would be a great idea IN ADDITION to Regents. I don't see why they cut out the Regents altogether.
Anybody have any more info on this?

L K

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 12:47 am
bump
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries