Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Work out music suggestions needed

elisecohen

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 7:44 am
I need ideas of music to jog to--singles I can download on iTunes or from cds. I want music that either has a good beat or that makes me smile--right now I have (secular music alert!) Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride (yes, Lilo and Stitch), Two Princes, Galileo, One Week, 1985, Monarch of the Sea (yes, Gilbert and Sullivan), Call me Al, Sloop John B, We Didn't Start the Fire....does this give you an idea how eclectic my tastes are? LOL

So any great ideas? What would make you run happy?
Thanks!

cuzimdamommy

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 9:27 am
I have a thing for country music personally, some of it has a great beat, then again, I also live in the midwest!
maybe we could find a way to cyber-work out together???

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 9:43 am
doesn't cardio work need a certain amount of beats per minute?

Frumom

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 10:45 am
I use the Jewish dance mix cd's. They're good for aerobics, might be too fast for jogging. Sometimes I use the Jewish J Walk cd for jogging.

Frumom

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 10:45 am
SaraG wrote:
doesn't cardio work need a certain amount of beats per minute?

enough to get your heart rate up

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 11:22 am
I can't remember all the music we use at my step class, but I know that the teacher often plays:
high-tempo (if that's the right word) Abba
a great Broadway workout cd
Walk Like an Egyptian
Candy Girls - I Want Candy
Destiny's Child - Independent Women part 1
Some Eminem, can't remember specifically which songs.

cindy324

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 11:39 am
Go to www.dynamixmusic.com/ they sell music cd's made especially for workouts. Whatever genre you like, whatever tempo u want they got! They even let you sample the cd's, and they tell you the BPS (beats per minute), so you know how fast it is. For jogging you'd prob. need 130 BPS or above.

Or you can search by workout.

elisecohen

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 12:28 pm
Thanks--but I don't really want "workout music" per se--I want regular music. I'm out jogging and keep my pace no matter what the music does, though music I really enjoy or find uplifting can help me pick it up when I'm flagging. That's why I have some slowish but happy stuff mixed in like Rockappela's Let's Get Away and Kingston Trio's Sloop John B; I find it's funny so I keep going apace.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 12:33 pm
if you're jogging on a treadmill at home, you can watch vhs tapes or dvds too. I even have some jewish ones if you want to borrow them.

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 12:02 am
I recently discovered Sarit Hadad. Great Israeli singer. She has a lot of faster songs that I find perfect for walking. I do a lot of walking with my ipod, and try to collect all different songs that are approximately the same speed.

chavamom

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 1:07 am
Elise - I ordered exercise videos at one point from www.collagevideo.com. They sell a lot of audio cd's and tape collections of 'real music' with a certain beat for walking or aerobic instructors (like 'Beatles for Walking', things like that). Maybe take a look and see if you get some ideas from their collection if you don't want to buy the whole cd.

OK - (SECULAR MUSIC ALERT), I looked it up - here is one 'collection' -

Quote:
WAdd a little "disco fever" to your walking workout. This is a sizzling collection of #1 disco hits. All vocals. By Sports Music. 140-145 beats-per-minute. 60 minutes.

SIDE ONE
"Ladies Night"
"Sing A Song"
"Jive Talking"
"Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel"
"Night Fever"
"Pick Up The Pieces"
"Never Can Say Goodbye"

SIDE TWO
"Kung Fu Fighting"
"You Should Be Dancing"
"Happy Radio"
"Boogie Woogie Dancing Shoes"
"Shame"
"Did You Boogie With Your Baby"

Anywho - might be some ideas there.

elisecohen

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 6:32 am
Thanks, Chava and everyone. I don't think I'm that disco oriented (a relief) but I've bought videos over the years from Collage and it's a good idea to check their tapes for what songs they suggest. I just don't want to get too bored with the same stuff over and over--I've got like 25 songs on my iPod, and I go through about 9 everytime I jog, so it can get repetitive pretty fast.

OTOH, I might start giggling if I heard "Kung Fu Fighting..." and get out of breath...

queen

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 9:28 am
SaraG wrote:
you can watch vhs tapes or dvds too. I even have some jewish ones if you want to borrow them.

you mean there is something you are NOT giving away for keeps???? Very Happy

chavamom

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 9:40 am
I think "Ku Fu Fighting" might put me over the top too LOL Check it out though, there are many 'themes' - '60's', '70's', 'disco', 'beatles' - and different ones have a different BPM.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 9:59 am
Kung Fu Fighting is a real earworm. PLEASE don't get me started!

yes, the jewish dvd's I have, I want for my husband when he goes on the exercise bike.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics