Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
I NEVER do this - a Hachnasas kallah appeal
1  2  Next

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 2:58 pm
Okay I knwo that imamother is not a fundraising site and it gets annoying when people post appeals. I also know that very few people will read it, or even respond. Furthermore, I know that you are not well off and I don't expect more than five-ten women to respond. However, I am posting this everywhere I can - hashkafah, frumspace, my blog, and now here, hoping that SOME response will come in. Although I was practically killed on hashkafah becase people disagreed with the entire cause, I did net over $200 from their members, so the abuse was worth it. Hopefully I won't be abused here, but PLEASE dont feel obligated to respond if you can't.

here's the situation:

A dear, close friend of mine has a brother who was having a very very hard time with shidduchim. After a lot of heartache, he BH became a choson to a wonderful girl but it turns out that the other side is dirt poor and my friend's father has to pay for both sides and bring them over from Israel for the wedding (that was the stipulation before the shidduch happened). My friend is beside herself with worry; her parents are not rich to begin with and they have to raise over a ton of money! I'm terrible at fundraising but then I suggested that she hold a raffle, which is what my family did to raise money for a family member (which was really successful then). So she was able to get hold of four items (donated). None of them are terribly exciting but this is what she's got:

a 4 megapixel digital camera
a Braun food processor
a beautiful oil painting
a $150 gift certificate to S & S Furniture in Willy.

You get 1 raffle for $10, 3 for $18, 5 for $25, and 11 for $50.

If any of you are the least bit interested in taking part of this mitzvah, drop me an email at mindycl@gmail.com. I can either mail you a raffle form with a postage paid self addressed envelope. Or you can just choose the amount of raffles and which prize you're interested in, and I'll fill it out for you - you can mail it to me or paypal me with a credit card. If you don't want to partake in the raffle but jst want to give a few dollars, you can paypal the donation to MINDYCL@VERIZON.NET. (Different email for contacting me as for paypal.)

I realize that many of you are not well off or are not even working, and I really don't expect much of a response - but even if five people email me it'll be worth it. I don't really know where to turn - I'm gonna mail out raffle forms to my family members but I don't have many friends and I'm desperate to help this friend out. So if any of you are interested, please email me. Tizku lmitzvos!!!

P.S. Please don't take offense if you don't agree with the cause or don't want to contribute. I'm not obligating ANYONE - just throwing theh story out there to see if anyone wants to help. Thanks.

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 5:00 pm
Tizku Lmitzvos Mindy!

happyone

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 5:12 pm
The easiest way is to open a Paypal account. It'll be simple for people to send you money.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 5:53 pm
Mindy wrote:

and I'll fill it out for you - you can mail it to me or paypal me with a credit card. If you don't want to partake in the raffle but jst want to give a few dollars, you can paypal the donation to MINDYCL@VERIZON.NET. (Different email for contacting me as for paypal.)

I guess you didnt read my entire post, happyone. I have paypal and 6 people already utilized it.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 9:06 pm
Mindy, I sent money to your paypal account.

happyone

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 9:31 pm
Whoops Mindy, I did not see that part of your post.
Sorry.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 10:49 pm
its perfectly okay happy Smile

Btw the post generated no interest, save for sevensenses. thanks seven!

Mommy912

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 11:06 pm
Mindy, don't take this personally. Imamothers are not known for their willingness to donate. Just ask Yael.

Crayon210

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 11:09 pm
Mommy912 wrote:
Mindy, don't take this personally. Imamothers are not known for their willingness to donate. Just ask Yael.

shock

What a not nice thing to say!

shayna82

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 11:15 pm
ditto what crayon said. that was not nice

Mommy912

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 11:19 pm
It is just a fact here - I was letting Mindy know the reality so as to not take it personally. Do you remember how many people were willing to give Yael money to keep this site afloat? And how many people have paid to sponsor a month here?
This is not a personal attack on anyone who choses not to give, it is just a fact.
Feel free to prove me wrong!

Crayon210

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 11:24 pm
Mommy912 wrote:
It is just a fact here - I was letting Mindy know the reality so as to not take it personally.

Mindy seems to be a mature woman who wouldn't take something like that personally. Confused

Quote:
Do you remember how many people were willing to give Yael money to keep this site afloat? And how many people have paid to sponsor a month here?

And do you know how many people have trouble making ends meet each month? Or how many people have other financial obligations? Or how many people give tons of tzedaka to other causes that for whatever reason they choose to give instead of to imamother.com?

No...oh right, because most of us don't share our personal financial information with a bunch of strangers on the Internet.

Quote:
This is not a personal attack on anyone who choses not to give, it is just a fact.

There are a lot of facts that are unnecessary to share...like ones called lashon hara. Confused

Quote:
Feel free to prove me wrong!

No one here has to show you her bank statements to prove you wrong. Rolling Eyes

shayna82

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 11:32 pm
MIndy, according to your logic, I should see your name up there on a daily basis sponsoring. or better yet, under the announcments as a supporter of imamother.

big difference in giving money to a site, versus to someone who NEEDS to get married.

Mommy912

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 11:45 pm
Crayon, Crayon, I know it is a slow night here on Imamother, but this is not a controversial topic.
Let's not bring up old and sore subjects: I am not saying that anyone should or should not give, neither am I asking for detailed explanations or bank statements.
I am just saying that the crowd over here is not a crowd which tends to give money in response to requests. Advice is what we're good at.
You can amend my statement to read 'Imamothers are not known for their willingness to donate ONLINE' if it makes you feel better.
'Feel free to prove me wrong' means exactly that: if you think my statement is untrue and that you are amongst a group which freely donates in response to online requests, then by all means send Mindy your generous donation. It does not mean send me written and notarized proof.

Crayon210

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 11:48 pm
Mommy912 wrote:
Crayon, Crayon, I know it is a slow night here on Imamother, but this is not a controversial topic.

It wasn't controversial until you said something mean.

Quote:
Let's not bring up old and sore subjects:

I agree! Why did you bring something like this up in the first place?

Quote:
I am just saying that the crowd over here is not a crowd which tends to give money in response to requests.

And I'm curious how you know that: maybe people are really good at giving to lots of other causes, just not the ones that happen to appear here.

Quote:
You can amend my statement to read 'Imamothers are not known for their willingness to donate ONLINE' if it makes you feel better.

No, it wouldn't, since that's also not nice. How do you know where people give?

Quote:
'Feel free to prove me wrong' means exactly that: if you think my statement is untrue and that you are amongst a group which freely donates in response to online requests, then by all means send Mindy your generous donation.

Maybe some people have other obligations/tzedaka arrangements before Mindy's cause?

Mommy912

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 11:53 pm
Is this a discussion or a post-mortem?

amother

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 7:32 am
Mindy I will iy''h paypal money.
I read the thread on hashkafah and am shocked to peices. Is that what most people think about us, Chassidim, Williamsburgers, Satmar, whatever?
Please tell me that they are only a few leitzum who don't have a clue about us or who just want to jump on us at every chance they get.

I am so hurt by their hatred for us. How could people be so full of hate and RACISM. And some of their comments- Rolling Eyes makes me think who is really naive?

technic

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 7:57 am
omg why does this ALWAYS happen on here????...mindy wrote the most beautiful post, totally sensitive 2 other pples situations and demanding NOTHING - just gently offering pple the chance 2 participate in a wonderful mitzva IF and ONLY IF they choose 2 AND r able 2 - and its degenerated in2 an attack on the lack of generosity of imamothers!!! Sad

amother

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 7:58 am
Welcome to hashkafa.com. A bunch of cynical people who hate anyone who is frummer then them.
The most serious topics turn into jokes.
Every other thread turned into s-x.
My yom kippur resolution was to stop going to that site.

queen

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 8:16 am
can we get back on track ladies?
It's everyones own personal decision of particapating or not.

NOW LET'S MOVE ON WITH LIFE.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics