Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Hot vegetables
1  2  Next

londoner

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 8:42 am
Ok does anyone have any ideas that survive blechs/ovens on friday night for a nice veg dish to go with meat and rice? I have done a green bean, tomato sauce and garlic dish but get bored of it. Brocoli with garlic, ginger and chilli sauce - not so good. Normal green veg with a bit of water - awful. Just looking for new ideas.

freidasima

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 8:51 am
Mashed sweet potato. Mashed pumpkin. If you are talking about keeping it hot overnight? That's about it, otherwise it melts...

londoner

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 9:06 am
no - just from when shabbat comes in till appropriate point of supper - abou 3-4 hours.

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 9:18 am
roasted peppers are good. or try a mixed veggie stir fry. I usually do sauted green beans with toasted nuts (almonds, pine nuts or sunflower seeds, not mixed, on their own)

londoner

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 9:27 am
What do you do for the liquid for roasted peppers? Just oil?

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 9:29 am
londoner wrote:
What do you do for the liquid for roasted peppers? Just oil?

olive oil. you can use other veggies too...peppers are expensive but they might need different cooking times.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 9:44 am
Bodek cauliflower or broccoli RAW with a little oil and salt on the plata before Shabbos.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 11:29 am
Garlic roasted vegetables are great. They get very soft, but they are still delicious.

sped

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 12:17 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Garlic roasted vegetables are great. They get very soft, but they are still delicious.

What is this?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 12:25 pm

Last edited by ra_mom on Sat, Feb 26 2011, 9:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

greeneyes

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 12:30 pm
I make lots of different vegetable side dishes, but I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the veggies to be not perfectly hot rather than getting all mushy. So I heat up the food in the oven before shabbos, turn off the oven & wrap everything in (special oven designated) towels and put the veggies in at that point or just a couple minutes before turning off the oven. This way the veggies are slightly warm & delicious, and not overcooked and mushy.

Some ideas: (If you'd like any recipes, let me know)
roasted asparagus (kbd entertains)
ratatouille style roasted veggies
Kosher Palette has a great recipe for roasted root veggies
roasted asparagus, mushroom, zuchinni, pepper medley with dill
balsamic roasted string beans - my current fave
sweet & sticky string beans (kbd short on time)

NativeMom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 8:02 pm
Cauliflower popcorn from KBD Entertains
The recipe is also posted on here
Roasted asparagus
and I second the veggie stir fry

OldYoung

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 9:13 pm
I second the Sweet and Sticky Greenbeans! I'm sure the recipe is on this site. If you're not crazy about sweeter dishes, there's a dijon greenbean recipe on here too.

I would do a greenbean or snowpea dish with rice...

londoner

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 9:29 am
Could I have the green bean and balsamic recipe? I'm not so keen on sweet things. Thank you very much for all the responses.

greeneyes

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 5:04 pm
Here's the recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/Roas.....29440 (I originally found the recipe in a Moosewood cookbook) I like to roast them longer than the recipe says.

p.s. These green beans are delicious at room temp. too or even straight from the fridge.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 7:41 pm
Thanks greeneyes, those look great!
When do you peel the garlic cloves? And do you serve the big pieces of garlic cloves and onions together with the green beans?

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 7:43 pm
another vote for ratatouille. Or you can just do stewed courgettes (either with tomato based sauce or just with a bit of water and parve chicken soup powder).

Would choucrute/sauerkraut/red cabbages count? Failing that you can always have tzimmes...

greeneyes

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 9:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks greeneyes, those look great!
When do you peel the garlic cloves? And do you serve the big pieces of garlic cloves and onions together with the green beans?

Sure!
I forgot to mention that I actually do peel the garlic. And I slice the onions thinly, rather than just cutting in quarters. (oops, my mistake - I didn't study that recipe closely enough, sorry) Yes, I serve the garlic & onions together with the green beans. (If you roast it long enough, the onions get carmalized & sooo good!)

londoner

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 4:07 am
Thanks a lot I think I'll do the balsamic green beans.

Chippies

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 10:59 pm
greeneyes wrote:
I make lots of different vegetable side dishes, but I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the veggies to be not perfectly hot rather than getting all mushy. So I heat up the food in the oven before shabbos, turn off the oven & wrap everything in (special oven designated) towels and put the veggies in at that point or just a couple minutes before turning off the oven. This way the veggies are slightly warm & delicious, and not overcooked and mushy.

Some ideas: (If you'd like any recipes, let me know)
roasted asparagus (kbd entertains)
ratatouille style roasted veggies
Kosher Palette has a great recipe for roasted root veggies
roasted asparagus, mushroom, zuchinni, pepper medley with dill
balsamic roasted string beans - my current fave
sweet & sticky string beans (kbd short on time)

Can I please get your recipes for ratatouille style roasted veggies. I make it once in a while, but it's never delicious. Also, your roasted asparagus with mushroom, zucchini and pepper medley with dill sounds good. Would it work with white asparagus? For how long do you cook it?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes