Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Rabbi Levin is 100% RIGHT about Maimonides Hospital!
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Mevater

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 10:42 am
Rabbi Levin is 100% RIGHT about Maimonides Hospital!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArsyMWiE1zQ

Ive spent months there lately with an elderly relative and heard hundreds of tales of woe from others there with relatives, and aside from the Bikur Cholim volunteers and some devoted doctors and nurses, who go above and beyond anyone's expectations, the place is one big nightmare.

To the administration and the Board, its only money. They either don't care at all or care very little about patients' suffering.

Rabbi Levin might have a negative reputation to some of being a hysterical alarmist on some other issues, but with this topic hes 100% on target!

The more people who hear this message, the better.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 10:52 am
Unfortunately many hospitals are exactly that.

Quote:
heard hundreds of tales of woe from others there with relatives, and aside from some devoted doctors and nurses, who go above and beyond anyone's expectations, the place is one big nightmare.

They either don't care at all or care very little about patients' suffering.

Mevater

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 11:10 am
My relative in her nineties on a respirator, with difficulty breathing, and many other issues, and in immense pain was shipped off from Maimonides to a nursing home to die as soon as her temperature became normal. They couldnt care less about the patients suffering. The doctor said its the hospitals decision and the hospital administration said its the doctors decision. This happened over and over, the nursing home sending her to the hospital, when they bfelt they couldnt deal with the issues, and the hospital admitting her, keeping her in the Emergency Room for usually about a day (while relatives had to STAND at her beside throughout and while she got nothing to eat because she had to be under observation first, even though they had just released her a few days earlier) until she could get a room, only to send her back when she had a normal temperature. This happened over and over. Back and forth, back and forth!

Trust me, if the patient had been an administartion member's relative, they would have treated her differently.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 11:19 am
Pardon my ignorance, who exactly is Rabbi Levin?

I'm not going to add anything to this conversation as I never stepped foot into the hospital ever (despite growing up in Brooklyn) so the only things I've heard are second-hand...

Last edited by manhattanmom on Mon, Dec 14 2009, 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

iriska_meller

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 11:23 am
Before everyone comes running and throwing rotten tomatoes at Maimonides, let me say something. Do you realize how crazy busy that place is? It serves a gigantic very densely populated area, with tons of people who don't speak a word of English. There is a limited number of beds, nurses and other personnel. If your relative spent day (or 3) in the ER before being admitted to the floor it is because there was no bed for him/her to go! If your grandma in her 90's on a respirator was discharged, it is because there are 500 people in the ER waiting to get a bed!

I did my internship in their ER, and I do not recommend going there as a patient (at least for adults, peds ER happens to be quite nice). The reason is they are too busy, and its likely you'll spend a day there regardless of the reason you came. But I'll tell you what. There are nurses who care more and those who care less. But even those who don't give a rat's bottom (emotionally), work their behinds off to relieve pain and suffering and many times a day save lives. In that place people CODE (that is ,stop breathing or their heart stops) several times a day, EVERY DAY. So yes, you have to prioritize.

In terms of the elderly lady on the respirator... how do I put it nicely... Her prognosis was poor. It is obvious that she will not get dramatically better. In fact, every time her temperature spikes, it is probably her body's attempt to die. But her family made a choice to "do everything" and that's why instead of spending shorter time in more a comfortable and dignified situation surrounded by her family, she spent longer time being tortured by various futile medical interventions and being shipped from hospital to nursing home and back.

Mevater

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 1:41 pm
iriska_meller wrote:
..... But her family made a choice to "do everything" and that's why instead of spending shorter time in more a comfortable and dignified situation surrounded by her family, she spent longer time being tortured by various futile medical interventions and being shipped from hospital to nursing home and back.

Wrong. It was a Rov who gave the Psak. Family had zero say.

In any case, I know of many who died because of carelessness there. Prob. more than in NYC hospitals.

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 1:44 pm
Yups, smae here.
I know of a few cases of negligence there.
Any Klausenbergers on board? Correct me if I'm wrong.
I remember hearing that the Klausenberger Rebbe told his Chassidim that they should not use Maimonidies.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 1:52 pm
my sil's father nearly died there. he is one of the examples mr levin talks about in his rant. bh he is healthy and well thanks to being spirited out to Mt Sinai in middle of the night.

Mevater

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 2:06 pm
A close relative lost a preemie, who was taken off a respirator because the doctors felt the baby was doing fine and no longer needed it. Not sure of the exact details, but baby died immediately.

As far as the overcrowded ER, they have a huge multi-million Cancer building that is relatively empty and underused, specifically for the purpose of raking in the cash. Theres more moolah in Cancer cases than in ER cases. They also own loads of buildings in the area. They can definitely expand the ER if they chose to do so. Its ju$t not as economically gainful as other areas. Ask anyone who is familiar with the hospital's real estate holdings in the area. They have more than enough space, and cash, to build a new ER.

Mevater

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 2:18 pm
manhattanmom wrote:

I'm not going to add anything to this conversation as I never stepped foot into the hospital ever (despite growing up in Brooklyn) so the only things I've heard are second-hand...
Not one person in your family living in Brooklyn, ever needed an ER really quickly- broken arm/ leg/ sudden unexplained pain/ very high fever/other distress. Wow. B"H - Chasdei Hashem.

iriska_meller

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 3:31 pm
Mevater wrote:
iriska_meller wrote:
..... But her family made a choice to "do everything" and that's why instead of spending shorter time in more a comfortable and dignified situation surrounded by her family, she spent longer time being tortured by various futile medical interventions and being shipped from hospital to nursing home and back.

Sorry, in that case it is even sadder...

In terms of "moolah"... Well, hospitals need money. They need that cancer center income to cover for all the care they provide to the uninsured for which they do not get reimbursed. Hospitals do not print money. It has to come from somewhere. Otherwise they would have to close ER along with labor and delivery, which also is usually a money-losing department.

Build another ER? That means put millions of dollars into something that will require millions more a year to maintain with 100% guarantee that it will loose thousands of dollars on a daily basis? That is quite a decision to make.

Finally, I'd like to say that in NYC we B''H have our choice of hospitals. Unless somebody collapses in the ambulance bay of Maimo ER, they or their family can usually choose where they will go. Don't like Maimonides - take your business elsewhere. No need to paint a whole establishment and all its workers black.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 3:42 pm
Mevater wrote:
manhattanmom wrote:

Not one person in your family living in Brooklyn, ever needed an ER really quickly- broken arm/ leg/ sudden unexplained pain/ very high fever/other distress. Wow. B"H - Chasdei Hashem.

Nope. Actually, about 6 weeks ago when my son was rushed to the hospital after an accident and was admitted for 2 weeks, my parents realized how boring of a family we were growing up. None of us had major emergencies--broken bones were always during the day when the orthopedist's office was open...

But still, nobody answered my question--WHO is Rabbi Levin???

mammala120

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 3:48 pm
iriska_meller wrote:
Before everyone comes running and throwing rotten tomatoes at Maimonides, let me say something. Do you realize how crazy busy that place is? It serves a gigantic very densely populated area, with tons of people who don't speak a word of English. There is a limited number of beds, nurses and other personnel. If your relative spent day (or 3) in the ER before being admitted to the floor it is because there was no bed for him/her to go! If your grandma in her 90's on a respirator was discharged, it is because there are 500 people in the ER waiting to get a bed!

I did my internship in their ER, and I do not recommend going there as a patient (at least for adults, peds ER happens to be quite nice). The reason is they are too busy, and its likely you'll spend a day there regardless of the reason you came. But I'll tell you what. There are nurses who care more and those who care less. But even those who don't give a rat's bottom (emotionally), work their behinds off to relieve pain and suffering and many times a day save lives. In that place people CODE (that is ,stop breathing or their heart stops) several times a day, EVERY DAY. So yes, you have to prioritize.

In terms of the elderly lady on the respirator... how do I put it nicely... Her prognosis was poor. It is obvious that she will not get dramatically better. In fact, every time her temperature spikes, it is probably her body's attempt to die. But her family made a choice to "do everything" and that's why instead of spending shorter time in more a comfortable and dignified situation surrounded by her family, she spent longer time being tortured by various futile medical interventions and being shipped from hospital to nursing home and back.

well guess what , may be maimonides needs to be less judgemental and hire more decent nurses even if they are young married jews. I applied to the hospital 2x to work as a RN and was never called back to get interview results. and when I did contact the recruitors the answer was.."sorry we don't have a spcce to hire you at this time.." which means that they are happy with number of nurses they have. the less nurses.....less they have to pay and more patients revolving back means more income since hospital get paid usually per admition and not after couple days of stay.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 4:01 pm
I've had my own bad experiences in Maimonides as well, but I dont think that gives me, or anyone the right to stand up and make a youtube clip that thousands of people see to badmouth a person/business. You dont like it, go elsewhere. There are plenty of other hospitals in Brooklyn.

IMO Rabbi Levin has a reputation of making public speeches about what he thinks is evil. I dont think this is the proper way for a yid to behave, and this is why I will disagree with him even if his actual point is valid.

chavamom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 4:06 pm
Mevater wrote:
iriska_meller wrote:

Uh, while it might be a the choice to listen to the rav's psak, the family is the ONLY one with a legal right to make those decisions. Who they consult with is their decision, but let's be honest. The family made the choice to ask a rav but ultimately the rav DID NOT make the decision. The rav has no legal standing or power to make any decision other than that of a consultant the family chooses to listen to.

Mevater

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 6:12 pm
chavamom wrote:
Uh, while it might be a the choice to listen to the rav's psak, the family is the ONLY one with a legal right to make those decisions. Who they consult with is their decision, but let's be honest. The family made the choice to ask a rav but ultimately the rav DID NOT make the decision. The rav has no legal standing or power to make any decision other than that of a consultant the family chooses to listen to.
We're going off on a tangent here, do you ask a Rov about Kashrus questions and then choose to do as you wish? Why ask in the first place? I'd like public opinion on whether it was unique of my family to consult with a Rov on life/death issues and F O L L O W T H R U on his Psak, with the understanding that whatever the Rov says, goes, whether we like it or not. It was actually one of the Feinsteins that we asked. They're definitely Gedolim in many people's eyes and are consulted all the time on life/death issues.

I D O N T thnk we're unique at all.

chavamom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 7:32 pm
You are missing the point. No one "makes you" ask a rav or follow his psak. No one is holding a gun to your head. You are making a *choice*. The family *chose* to ask this rav and follow his psak. That you chose to follow halacha makes you a frum Jew, but you equally have a choice to not do so. Understand what I'm saying? It bugs me when people say "we had no choice". Yes, you do. To say otherwise denies that you have free will.

gold21

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 7:37 pm
maimonides is a second rate hospital. the nursing staff is overworked, under-educated, lacking social skills, and they look like they hate their jobs. there are some very decent doctors there, but they too are usually overworked, snappy, etc. its just not a pleasant place to be. I was yelled at by my anesthesiologist when I was in active labor with DS1 for requesting more anesthesia. why did he scream? probably cuz he was overworked, just yelled at by someone else, etc. its a cycle of negativity there. the place has negative vibes.

marina

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 7:43 pm
Is he that guy who constantly rants about gays? Just listening to him makes me want to go out and sin with people of my own gender and I'm not even gay.

chatz

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 7:49 pm
Am I the only one who had a pleasant experience in Maimonides? L&D - fine, not that pleasant, but, hey, I was in labor. And maternity ward was nice & pleasant (recently renovated). I appreciated the fact that all the food there is kosher.

A relative of mine worked in the peds dept in Maimonides. His wife gave birth there and had some complications. He totally recommended it (at least for babies & kids).

If you don't like it, don't go there. Maybe try to do some constructive changes. But don't blast the whole establishment.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries