Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Need Acne help!

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 10:53 pm
As a teenager (and until now) I had great skin naturally--I never went through the awkward teenage pimply stage....Until NOW! Help!
There seem to be sooo many acne-fighting face washes, scrubs, pads, etc. out there. Can anyone suggest one? It's basically patches--little areas of redness and pimples in a few spots on my face.
I'm looking just for an over-the-counter scrub or something.

familytime

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 11:33 pm
mario badescu makes a great drying lotion to apply on spots and you can try neutrogena clear pore face cleanser and mask Good Luck!

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 11:49 pm
And I'm assuming I just follow instructions on the package?
Is the face mask every day? Twice a week?
I'm completely clueless.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 11:31 am
you're not a teen anymore, though. adult skin is not the same as teenage skin.

you should be under the care of a dermatologist for adult acne. you don't wnt to dry out your skin and get wrinkles, do you ?

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 12:46 pm
Are your breakouts hormonal? Are they around your period? Or are they from stress?

Don't go with a scrub as that will just aggravate your breakout.
You could try a salicylic acid over the counter treatment. It works for some people, but not all. You can get a prescription for erythromycin with benzoil peroxide which dries out pimples. Just dab on a bit when you break out. (Be careful, it bleaches anything it touches while it's wet.)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 12:53 pm
I find Bare minerals powder hides it and also cures it.

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 4:48 pm
I'm allergic to benzoil peroxide actually.
Also, at this time I don't have insurance that covers prescription drugs...so I'm trying to avoid a dermatologist unless the situation becomes urgent.
Right now, it's not, just some "normal" looking acne in one or two spots.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 4:57 pm
a dermy can give you samples. bring a bag for them all !!! you can also get a $10 a month plan at cvs (and prob. other places too) so you can get the drugs you need.

Tapuzi

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 5:04 pm
I am also allergic to benzoyl peroxide. Cleanser is not so important because it gets rinsed off, does not stay on the skin but I use Cetaphil and then some sort of scrub a couple times a week- the cvs brand knock-off of clean n' clear or aveeno. The thing that works the best is to put something on nightly preventatively. I like the Neutrogena Anti Stress Treatment, it's not drying at all:

http://www.drugstore.com/produ.....21234

Then in the morning I use a moisturizer with salicylic acid. I used to use the Aveeno,

http://www.drugstore.com/produ.....21503

which I loved but I found that after I went off the pill my skin became oiler and I needed something even lighter so now I use the clean and clear and seems to be working pretty well.

http://www.drugstore.com/produ.....21503

And when I get a big zit I use the Mario Badescu drying lotion on just that area.

penina

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 5:49 pm
Try tea tree oil on your already existing zits, it will naturally dry them out.

Yocheved84

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 6:43 pm
You can get pimples from dry or non-exfoliated skin. Get a good exfoliant scrub (try the CVS brand) and use the new Aveeno moisturizer w/ anti-acne stuff.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 7:44 pm
penina wrote:
Try tea tree oil on your already existing zits, it will naturally dry them out.

it says right on the bottle not to put it full strength on the ace !

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 9:26 pm
I seem to have come out of this last pregnancy with a ton of what I am calling "post partum acne."
It's pretty obvious that this is hormonal and I have tried all kind of drugstore stuff, some more expensive than others and nothing worked.

I just started Yaz (birth control pills) two weeks ago and my skin has already started to clear!

luvshopping

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 8:55 pm
My fourteen year old daughter has HORRIBLE acne. DH and I suffered from it too so she has it really bad. I took her to a dermatologist and she has gotten tonz of medication. She tried zillions of over the counter stuff too. Anyone know of something specific that actually works? She has it also really bad on her back and chest area as well as her neck. She had a really scary procedure done also and it worked tremendously but it's new and dh is afraid to let her do it again cuz they don't know too much about it yet so in the long run it may be dangerous. Any advice?????

Mirabelle

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 9:04 pm
Did she try accutane? Sounds like her case might be severe enough.

Did she try proactiv?

amother

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 11:37 pm
I use cetaphil cleanser its really good and gentle.

I found exfoliating to be too harsh.

If you can get a prescription get CLYNDAMYCIN. It worked wonders for me and for anyone else I recommended it too. I now get my reg. doc. to prescribe it as I don't go to a derm anymore.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics