Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Health Net Health Insurance

str

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 1:10 am
The company where I work is changing insurances. They are offering Healthnet as of January 1.
Does anybody know if its a good insurance? I won't be reimbursed for doctors used out of their network.
Does it have a good network of doctors?

STovah

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 9:51 am
As far as I know, they have a very good network.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 11:02 am
I've been on it for about half a year now, and so far so good

str

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 9:23 pm
STovah and Twizzlers thanks for responding

yersp

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 10:48 pm
same here! then again DH''s company is switching insurances AGAIN because healthnet is merging with united healthcare and it'll become a bit more expensive.

Kaybee

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 12:00 am
The network is pretty decent. What do you have now for comparison purposes?

nicole81

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 12:01 am
I had cigna, then empire, then healthnet, then ghi and I never have had to switch my doctors once so I guess their networks are comparable for better or for worse.

blahblah

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 12:11 am
Health Net is a reputable insurer. If it's a "good" network or not is all dependent on if your doctors participate in it or not. They have a decent number of physicians and one of the better claims resolutions services, but if your doctor doesnt participate and it's an HMO, then the other factors are irrelevant to you.

I am a bit surprised that you are changing as of January 1. How big is the employer? someone mentioned that they are merging with Oxford...that's not exactly accurate. They are simply pulling out of the market and Oxford bought the right to renew membership. The deal is yet to close but it has already been filed with the state and they hope to close before the end of the year so there would be no new policies as of somewhere around april, and there will be no renewals after June I believe (again, all contingent on the state approving the withdrawal). So that's why I'm a bit surprised that your employer is switching to them as of Jan 1, being that it means they'll have to switch again next year. but their rates, especially for employers under 50 have been very competitive.....

this all being said, my employer has been with health net for years and we have a very high level of satisfaction. we are staying with them for this last year (despite a 40-60% increase depending on the plan.....it was still more competitive than other insurers!), and personally I'm very happy about it. most of my providers don't participate (treatment for a certain condition where none of the docs take any insurance) and health net has one of the best out of network reimbursement arrangements available.

if you have other options available to you and would like to pm me, feel free (I do this for a living....)

Motherof7

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 11:42 am
I had health net at one point and for the most part everything was fine. I did have an issue with them approving a certain prevententive medicine for the baby that the doctor said was needed. It was such a pain and the approval process with the appeal process was terrible. They ended up denying the appeal as well and then we were switching 1/1 to Oxford which approved it right away. I am sure every company has its issues, but it bothered me that because their doctor who is reading paperwork about a child was arguing with my doctor. Never once did they call my doctor to discuss it, just denied.

MommytoB

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 2:32 pm
Healthnet was bought by united healthcare, not oxford. Whenever a contract is up with healthnet, it will roll over to united if the participants choose to continue. Healthnet is ok if you go in network and just need regular care. If you go out of network, depending on your plan, sometimes they flat out cover 70% after detuctible, sometimes you need pre-approval. You can do another level of appealed for denied services -- an external appeal. If you get the right language written down from your doctor healthnet's decision can be overturned.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries