Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Reusing dry pullups?
1  2  Next

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 8:33 pm
My son sleeps in pullups and he wakes up dry most of the time. It feels like such a waste of money to keep throwing those out, when a pack of pullups costs 18 dollars for 19 pieces!!!! Is it terribly unhygienic to reuse a totally clean, dry pullup? what do you think?

Tehilla

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 8:37 pm
I wouldn't, but that could just be me--I'm particular about that kind of thing.

what about investing in a few cloth diapers if he's dry so much? I was thinking of doing that with one of mine who is day-trained, and like yours, dry most nights. never did cloth diapers before.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 8:38 pm
I think it's a bit yucky (although I do understand what you mean about the cost)! Would you want to reuse a worn pair of underwear? Probably not! If he is waking up dry most nights, try having him sleep without one...putting a waterproof pad on top of his sheet. You can also find really cheap, generic pull-ups, since he is waking up dry anyway!

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 8:42 pm
I used to always throw them out thinking that it's just gross to reuse them. But after a while when I was throwing away so many dry ones it seemed like such a waste and they're really expensive (even with coupons). So I started reusing them and ds gets really excited when it's dry and he can set it aside for the next night.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 8:46 pm
My son is also always dry but once in awhile......... so I reuse them if they are dry.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 8:47 pm
Maybe I look at it differently, cause my girls are the only ones I've done this with so far. The anatomical differences make it seem not so good to me, in terms of bacteria/yeast/moisture type stuff. Could be more practical for boys...

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 8:56 pm
I definitely don't keep on reusing them for a week but for a couple of days it's fine. I haven't had any problems.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 8:59 pm
nah, I didn't think you did! I just meant for girls it's a little different. whatever. Very Happy

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 9:02 pm
clothe diapers for a 43 pound 4 1/2 yr old? nah.
I dont want to risk putting him to bed without one, as he does get up wet 2 or so days of the week. I'm not ready to night-train him yet.
I'd love to buy generic no name pullups!

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 9:02 pm
Yeah, I can understand the girl issues. Hey - I'm a girl too! Smile

Tehilla

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 9:04 pm
HAPPYMOMMY wrote:
Yeah, I can understand the girl issues. Hey - I'm a girl too! Smile

LOL, I sure hope so! Tongue Out

Tehilla

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 9:05 pm
Mama Bear, I can buy you some generics and bring 'em into town for you if you want.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 10:20 pm
my mil used to do the following when my bil was being night trained:
to sleep he wore a pair of underpants, and a pullup on top. this way, she was comfortable using the pullup multiple times if it was dry since it never touched his body. if he was wet, so she just had a pair of underpants to wash.

Mirel

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 10:38 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
to sleep he wore a pair of underpants, and a pullup on top. this way, she was comfortable using the pullup multiple times if it was dry since it never touched his body. if he was wet, so she just had a pair of underpants to wash.

Brilliant!
or how about using good ol' size 6 diapers? And if that doesn't fit Pampers comes in size 7 now!

msym

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 11:18 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
My son sleeps in pullups and he wakes up dry most of the time. It feels like such a waste of money to keep throwing those out, when a pack of pullups costs 18 dollars for 19 pieces!!!! Is it terribly unhygienic to reuse a totally clean, dry pullup? what do you think?

I used to reuse all the time. my son is the same age as yours (he is night trained now for a while though- BH)I used to reuse them about 2-3 times . personally I dont think its that gross.. especially if it was completely dry

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 12:28 am
Twizzlers wrote:
not a bad idea!

whoever suggested size 7 pampers - theyre not much cheaper than pullups. and why put a 4 1/2 yr old into a diaper? t hat's so humiliating. he's a 'big boy!' plus this way we know if he's dry.

NativeMom

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 12:29 am
My DS is basically potty trained but I still have him wear pull ups at night. Sometimes if we're running to my parents house in the morning and his pull up is still dry I'll get him dressed and bring a long a pair of underwear to change into. I don't think it's so bad if your putting them on before bed, it hasn't been 24 hours yet and they're clean, no signs of urine whatsoever. After 24 hrs I throw them out, but that's just me.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 12:35 am
(1) MamaBear, how did he get to be 4.5? Wasn't his upsherin yesterday?
(2) As noted, boys' anatomical diff make it less yucky to reuse
(3) The underwear idea is brilliang
(4) Pishing at night is no big deal for boys, even older than MB's son.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 5:45 am
I don't buy Pull-Ups, they're too expensive. He sleeps in plain old pyjamas. These days I just do lots of laundry. (And he sleeps on a wipe-off mat on top of the sheet.)

geemum

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 7:55 am
Yes I reuse the pullups. When they're not on offer I but non-branded ones. I'll reuse them one MAYBE twice.

MY DS is so excited tthat he's dry and he'll put the pullups away for the next night.

The idea of underpants first is really clever - wonder if my DS will agree ?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics