Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Finger slammed in hinge, nail falling off

challi

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 8:17 pm
So my kid slammed their finger in a hinge and smushed it pretty badly. This was a few wks ago. Now the nail is hanging off starting al the nail bed all the way to the end. It is only attached on one side at the cuticle. I can't remove it because its pretty firmly attached at that one cuticle, but the rest of the nail is completely unattached on all other ends.

1) Is this something I need a dr. to look at (Ive been treating it with antibiotic ointment and up until now its been ok, now its a bit red)
2) should I try to detach it or will it fall off on its own? My kid is in a lot of pain since the part that is usually under the nail is very sensitive
3) Is this normal? The whole thing had anyone ever had this happen where a finger gets squished and then the nail does this.

Its just gross. Looking at it reminds me of something dead. ughhhhh!

Tehilla

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 8:29 pm
ugh, we're in the same situation except the nail isn't off yet. this happened to my husband's toe at Sukkos, and my 3.5 year old's finger a few weeks ago.

we were told not to pull it off, but also that there is a special machine by the doctor or podiatrist that they can remove it if necessary.

my husband has to go back to the podiatrist cause the new nail underneath split Sad and my daughter's fingernail is discolored and bumpy (the new nail growing) but hasn't come off/grown out yet.

Tehilla

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 8:31 pm
I just saw number 3...yes, with my daughter her finger got slammed but it's the nail that is affected (once the awful swelling went down).

refuah sheleima!

(the same thing happened to my middle finger when I was a kid, and I vaguely remember the doctor having to remove the nail. the new nail was and is nice and whole though, B"H)

kitov

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 10:36 am
Baby, or toddler, I shall say, is just recovering from this too!

Though he did have a ruptured ear drum at the time, and the nail bed was infected, so the ped opted for augmentin, which I'm supplementing with probiotics.

The nail fell off two weeks after the slam.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics