Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Dishwasher questions

momtomany

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 1:24 pm
Hi,
I am buying a new dishwasher and I am debating between 2.
my question is if the dishwasher has the silverware basket in the door does it wash as well as having it in the regular rack?
also is having a stainless steel interior much much better or not really any difference?
is a dishwasher kasherable between meat and pareve (I wouldnt change it for milk or pesach) if its steel?

thanks for your help.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 3:30 pm
munchkin wrote:
Hi,
I am buying a new dishwasher and I am debating between 2.
my question is if the dishwasher has the silverware basket in the door does it wash as well as having it in the regular rack?
also is having a stainless steel interior much much better or not really any difference?
is a dishwasher kasherable between meat and pareve (I wouldnt change it for milk or pesach) if its steel?

thanks for your help.

The silveware basket on the door is great. You can't fill it too full though. I ony use it for knives and peelers and stuff that's not too dirty. I got something extra to kep in the body of the machine for real silverware.

According to the Star K and the OU, it's allowed to kasher a dishwasher for Pesach, and it's HEAVEN to have that extra hand. I didn't realize how dirty/dingy our stuff was until we moved to an apt with a dishwasher. Our stuff fit into about 3 loads and everything was gorgeous after being washed via dishwasher !!!!

elmos

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 2:43 pm
Ask your lor but I was told that my stainles stell interior dishwasher had to be clean and not used for 24 hours can than be used for parve and it is a life saver.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 3:38 pm
That's a long time to leave dirty stuff out. I run ours almost every day. that would be a real hardship for us.

curlytop

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 3:44 pm
I am really surprised to hear about Kashering dishwashers.. I really didnt think that it was allowed.
Anyways, I have 2 dishwashers, one w/ the rack on the door, and one with the rack along the side interior.
The rack on the door is DEFINITELY a lot smaller (I have it for dairy so its OK).
Aside for that, I bought my Fleishegs one a much better machine, about 2x the price of the milchegs one, and I dont see a major difference.. but I have them for less that a year so I cant tell you long term.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 4:53 pm
curlytop wrote:
I bought my Fleishegs one a much better machine, about 2x the price of the milchegs one, and I dont see a major difference

Oh, I know. I see those with many bells and whistles - pot scrubber option, glass only option - I don't like dirty things left around so I doubt I'd use any of them. I'm just happy to have a machine that helps me !

sky

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 7:05 pm
I have the rack in the door. I don't like it because when I do put in a lot of cutlery it sometimes opens and all the cutlery spills out. I also think I heard that in that setting there is less place for dishes - but I'm not sure about that.

In regard to the stainless steel we had an expensive stainless steel dishwasher in our house when we moved in. We spoke to a few rabbanim and all said there were ways to kasher the dishwasher but none would give us a definite answer. I remember it depended on how hot the dishwasher heated the water, because then it is a kli rishon and harder to kasher, and if there was any plastic in the dishwasher, like the soap dispenser or tracks. In the end we just got a cheaper dishwasher and got rid of the one that came with the house. We decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Ask you own LOR. I know people who kasher plastic dishwashers (if they were not used for a year)

sky

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 7:07 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I got something extra to kep in the body of the machine for real silverware.

Where did you get that?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 7:22 pm
It's a chrome basket, for like $3. On Kingston or BBB.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen