Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
JJ Cole Bundle Me

amother

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 10:37 am
someone lent one of these to me for my newborn, but I'm not sure what to do. I got it secured inside the catseat but does the baby need a hat or jacket?
Wouldn't something like the Babba Cover or Posh Pouch be better? I feel like the baby's cold because her head & sholders are exposed?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 10:44 am
Can you please take a few minutes to read up on why you shouldn't use it in a carseat? I know it's helpful, and all, but carseat covers should only go OVER the carseat, not in between baby and straps...
It's great for a stroller though Smile

Your second link is PERFECT -- goes over the carseat, and covers baby up adequately.
I got a similar one as a gift for a neighbor last year and she loved it (is still using it for her small just turned 1 year old this year)...

amother

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 10:49 am
So if it's not safe, what does this mean?
JJ Cole Safety Statement

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 10:55 am
"Many companies also offer thick car seat covers that act like a bunting for babies in the winter. Parents should avoid buying any car seat cover or car seat bunting that threads through the harness straps of their child's car seat. Often the packaging of these covers states that the product meets all federal car seat safety guidelines. However, there are no federal guidelines governing after-market car seat accessories. These extra car seat covers and buntings could interfere with the function of the car seat harness, and many car seat manufacturers will void your car seat warranty if after-market accessories are used. " (from babyproducts.about.com)

1. Basically, any aftermarket product has not been tested with carseats in crashes, and you can't know it's safe, despite their safety statement. There is no such guidelines to meet!

2. What happens in a collision, CH"V, is that material between child and straps gets compressed, making the straps looser and possibly unable to restrain child properly. My children do not wear thick coats in carseats. They wear fleece for warmth if they are over the age of using an infant seat cover.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 10:58 am
So the poshpouch is better? but it doesn't even touch the baby? isn't she going to be cold?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 11:01 am
Yes, or you can look for the kiddopatamus brand (something like that) which is a bit cheaper (around $20 at burlington I think?)

Definitely keeps baby warm -- snuggled in there, and overheating is not a good thing either!! You're going to have the heat on in the car as well, and overheating is more dangerous than being a little cold. A little cold is not going to make a baby sick (contrary to all the worried grandmothers out there Smile) but overheating can be fatal, R"L.

There is fleece on that cover that keeps baby warm, and it's like being under blankets in bed...

amother

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 11:05 am
OK, I hear you. Thanks for taking the time to explain...sometimes I feel so dumb with all the hype out there about all the newfangled baby products designed to make your life easier but that are really not as safe as the conventional ways...Thanks again.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 11:09 am
Don't get me started about newfangled baby products and how everything becomes a "necessity" that we forget about lower key ways of raising our kids Tongue Out

amother

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 11:19 am
Something I'm beginning to understand... Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics