Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Recycling leftovers
Previous  1  2

Tefila

Post Sat, Jan 21 2006, 6:03 pm
Anymore recycables ideas anyione . Or am I the only one who does it Twisted Evil

SMG

Post Sat, Jan 21 2006, 7:09 pm
Chicken can be turned into chicken pot pie, as can any cooked veggies and some kugels. Potato kugel work well as a bottom layer for the pot pie. I am not a fish fan in general, but you could probably do something similar with the fish.
Re leftover gefilte fish- do you always have leftovers? A lot? I used to cut the loaf in half or thirds with a really good knife as soon as I brought it home. I'd freeze the parts in a freezer bag and then I only made what I needed each week.
Cholent can be turned into chili- add some ground beef or salsa and other kinds of mexican flavoring, some diced tomatoes, etc and reheat. Serve in tortillas or taco shells.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Jan 21 2006, 7:33 pm
smg, I make chicken pot pie, too. My huband and I are not chicken people, so I usually don't serve the leftover....but this, WE EAT!!! You can add potatoes, carrots, some vegetable soup mix and water....just too bad that the crust is so fattening!
I've even added a little bit of cholent into it once! mmmmm

queen

Post Sat, Jan 21 2006, 7:41 pm
that's funny smg... I was about to post about chix pot pies!

I made a huge pot of chix soup last week, and then used the soup chix for pot pies. I now have 6 weeks worth of chix soup in my freezer and 3 big chix. pot pies that I can have for suppers.

My chix pot pie recipe (sorry..... no exact measurements)
================================
placed chicken in a soup bag (in my chix soup) in order to easily remove the chicken after the soup was done cooking.

sauteed onions, carrots, celery and potatoes... added some frozen vegies.... and then shredded (by hand) the chicken and added to pan.

added a couple Tablespoons of flour and some water.
salt and pepper.

let it simmer a little... about 20 minutes on a low flame.

pour into pie shells and cover with flaky dough.
I used a fork to prick holes to let the steam back through......
brushed the top layer of dough with egg whites in order that it would come out of the oven looking shiny. Smile
bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.

(I bought ready made frozen pie shells that came three in a pack.... and then bought some extra flaky dough which I used to cover the pies, and make a small design ontop. nothing fancy.... just a couple leaves and berries)

queen

Post Sat, Jan 21 2006, 7:44 pm
sarahd wrote:
My mother is queen of the cook-ahead.

I TOOK A DOUBLE TAKE THERE, LOL!!!!
my daughter is too young to be on this site

zigi

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 11:31 am
I also make stir fry with cooked chicken, add veggies and a teriyaki sauce, or 2 tbs cornstarch, 2 tbs molasses, and 2 tbs soy sauce, mix togther then have a sauce, you could also add peanut butter, ginger and soy sauce, I don't know exact measurements but play around with it, my father puts chicken canned tomatoes and canned corn together with beans its pretty good, chicken salad, make it like tuna, add grated carrot and celery, and onion with mayo its very good, I also use the sauce for chicken pot pies and I pour it over noodles.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen