Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Need advice from moms of kids with many not-serious issues
1  2  3  Next

gold21

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 11:17 pm
omigod, sorry long thread title. anyhow my 16 month old has had the following: reflux, almost-incurable eczema, allergies, enlarged adenoids, very overweight (like 120th percentile), im probably forgetting something. his reflux and eczema went away when I took him off of dairy. his weight is more normal now (just above 100th percentile) as I am able to differentiate bet when hes hungry and thirsty, as he talks now. (hes always been insanely thirsty and I used to think he was insanely hungry. adenoid related issue, nothing serious BH) no ok he must sound like nuts with all these issues, but he's a normal bright active little guy, and no doubt all these issues are somehow related. but...my question is, how do you coordinate your diff doctors so everyone is on the same page? its really difficult! I know he has other allergies, and hes got the adenoids. I am looking for advice from moms whove been in similar situations.

rainbow

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 11:26 pm
The first few symptoms you mentioned made my gluten-blinkers go off.
Have you tested him for gluten antibodies? Ask the pediatrician for antigliadin antibodies, IgG and IgE or IgA, not sure.

See what that shows.
You can also order a stool test, which is more accurate than the blood test, but more expensive and not sure it's covered by insurance. EnteroLab does them. They're in the three hundred range. the pediatrician did a stool test for gluten but it came back negative. So I chose to pay out of pocket for EnteroLab's because I heard they do the real good testing.
When I tested my son's antigliadin via blood it came out lowish, but then I did the stool test and it was more accurate. it gives you exact numbers. Getting off gluten has resulted in no more excema, no more stomachaches, no more fatso, and can't recall what else, it's been so many years.

My youngest one has been complaining of general not feeling well, especially after food and at night. I was sure it's emotional.
I could not afford EnteroLab's stool test so I suggested that he get off gluten for four weeks and we'll see if it helps. We saw results immediately. I have not heard a word of complaint about 'not feeling well' since two months ago. He does not want to get back onto gluten because he feels so much better.

It's different in your case, as you're talking about a real young one. On the other hand, it's easier because you choose which foods to put on the table.

gold21

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 11:43 pm
would a regular scratch test or blood test show gluten allergy? not that I know of a competent allergist, so far 3 strike outs... Not one suggested to take my son off dairy, despite severe eczema at the point and constant runny nose. WHY?

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 11:53 pm
with a child like that I'd go the homeopath route. they can work wonders if you go to the right person (like fraidy weider) but be prepared to shell out $$$...

rainbow

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 11:58 pm
Trying a gluten free and dairy free diet is the least expensive. After 2-6 weeks you ought to see if it's working.

pina colada

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:06 am
rainbow wrote:
Have you tested him for gluten antibodies? Ask the pediatrician for antigliadin antibodies, IgG and IgE or IgA, not sure.

See what that shows.
You can also order a stool test, which is more accurate than the blood test, but more expensive and not sure it's covered by insurance. EnteroLab does them. They're in the three hundred range. the pediatrician did a stool test for gluten but it came back negative. So I chose to pay out of pocket for EnteroLab's because I heard they do the real good testing.
When I tested my son's antigliadin via blood it came out lowish, but then I did the stool test and it was more accurate. it gives you exact numbers. Getting off gluten has resulted in no more excema, no more stomachaches, no more fatso, and can't recall what else, it's been so many years.

My youngest one has been complaining of general not feeling well, especially after food and at night. I was sure it's emotional.
I could not afford EnteroLab's stool test so I suggested that he get off gluten for four weeks and we'll see if it helps. We saw results immediately. I have not heard a word of complaint about 'not feeling well' since two months ago. He does not want to get back onto gluten because he feels so much better.

It's different in your case, as you're talking about a real young one. On the other hand, it's easier because you choose which foods to put on the table.

Isn't the child severely limitted with what they can eat on a gluten free diet?

Perhaps you should try taking the child off wheat first?

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:08 am
His weight issue might be related to the excema/allergy issue. I've seen it up close. I think in such instances I'd DEFINITELY go the natural route first. I've seen kids who developed asthma from trying to get the allergies/excema under control without a proper 'health plan'.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:09 am
Also try specialfrummoms for advice!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/.....moms/

Isramom8/Elana

rainbow

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:13 am
pina colada wrote:
rainbow wrote:

See what that shows.

Severely limited? Not when you get used to it.
I am gluten free and have plenty to eat.
Almost anything that's available is available in gluten free.

pina colada

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:18 am
rainbow wrote:
pina colada wrote:
rainbow wrote:

See what that shows.

Are you taking shaklee products? I know lots of people who went off of gluten once they started taking shaklee products

Tamiri

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:35 am
I had a celiac child visiting for Shabbat. The no gluten wasn't a big deal, besides for challa, which he didn't eat.

gold21

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 1:09 am
ok thanks for advice so far! im just so frustrated with doctors that dont have advice for me, and dont coordinate with each other, and everything is one big stupid mess, and my bright active full-of-personality normal 16 mnth old is dealing with all these weird issues. I know im posting at a weird time, maybe ill bump this up tomorrow. I have considered homeopath route b4, but the only issue is that im not quite loaded monetarily. maybe I should just go for it anyhow. I have solved some issues on my own, no help from anyone, by going of dairy.

gold21

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 1:22 am
also theres always this little part of me that says "if homeopathics is so awesome, why isnt it mainstream?" anyone ever wonder this? I guess im just one big nervous wreck and dont want to submit my kid to just anybody for treatment.

Happy Mom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 1:37 am
Gold, good for you for taking matters into your own hands! I'd definitely recommend cutting gluten and dairy. Though taking dairy out should show improvements within three days, it can take months after removing gluten for the benefits to be evident; it's retained for that long within the body. If you take it out and it helps right away, that's great, but if it doesn't, it doesn't mean that your child isn't benefiting.

A book that might be helpful is - Healing the New Childhood Epidemic: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies - by Dr. Kenneth Bock (an allopathic MD).

As to the question about if something is so great, why isn't it mainstream? Let's just say there are different paradigms about health, different realities about training and insurance, and people tend to think whatever they're familiar with it good and anything different is 'woo woo'. So keep looking for what will help your son, and be willing to look outside the box, because when it comes to health, that's very,very often where the true root of the issue is addressed.

Health is a Virture

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 1:55 am
it's a bit early to check if he has celiac or not but I would also recommend going the more alternative route, at least for now. you can take your baby off of gluten, soy, milk, and sugar for 6 weeks. if you see improvement then slowly add back in foods that have gluten, but are not wheat. (you may want to not have baby not eat all those foods for a few months to give him a break and then slowly start adding things back in.) in the end, we realized that my ds is very sensitive to wheat. as soon as she would eat wheat, she would snore (adenoids)

rainbow

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 1:59 am
pina colada wrote:
rainbow wrote:
pina colada wrote:
rainbow wrote:

See what that shows.

Are you taking shaklee products? I know lots of people who went off of gluten once they started taking shaklee products

I don't take Shaklee products; some of them actually contain gluten.
There's a very simple and inexpensive way to know if someone has gluten sensitivity: gluten-fee diet.
In each of my gf kids we saw results within 2 weeks to six weeks.
If the eczema doesn't clear up you know it's not a gf issue.
I'm gf and dairy free, and sugar free as well, and I have plenty of food to choose from.
If you tell me his favorite foods I can help you with a menu, etc.
BTW, if your kid has gluten sensitivity, most often either on or both parents have the gluten sensitivity as well.

gold21

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 2:09 am
my husband has some food sensivities, but by him they cause stomach aches and stomach cramps, not eczema, adenoids, etc. we dont really know what his sensitivities are at this point, tho carbs and dairy are suspect. but my dh isnt ready to give up those foods! so we dont really analyze his eating habits too much. my ds likes to drink a lot of rice dream, apple juice, and water. he eats yogurt sometimes (I am nervous to let him have too much of it, tho BH he doesnt seem to react to it when I give him once in a while), he likes corn niblets, breaded fish, avacado, breaded chicken cutlets, rice cakes, rice with ketchup, pasta with ketchup, omelettes, and nosh.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 2:13 am
gold21 wrote:
ok thanks for advice so far! im just so frustrated with doctors that dont have advice for me, and dont coordinate with each other, and everything is one big stupid mess, and my bright active full-of-personality normal 16 mnth old is dealing with all these weird issues. I know im posting at a weird time, maybe ill bump this up tomorrow. I have considered homeopath route b4, but the only issue is that im not quite loaded monetarily. maybe I should just go for it anyhow. I have solved some issues on my own, no help from anyone, by going of dairy.
I found with such situations, that it's almost like finding a Shidduch. What works for one child, doesn't work for another. Be it a homeopath, or other naturally inclined doctor. I know that my sister had luck with a health doctor with her kid who didn't even roll over at the age of 15 months due to terrible excema (they were considered third degree burns) etc... In the end, with that doctor, her child was literally a changed child within a short 3-4 months and the excema was totally gone. Yet someone else I know had no luck with that doctor.

rainbow

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 2:18 am
In every person the gluten sensitivity manifests in different symptoms, so can't compare one person's symptoms to another's.
rice dream- they make a gluten free version
apple juice is gf
yogurt is dairy, not sure you want to eliminate dairy at this point,
avacado is gf
breaded cutlets, I make them a often, instead of bread crumbs I use potato starch or tapioca starch;
ketchup is gf, rice is gf;
you can make breaded fish with tapioca or potato starch instead of bread crumbs. I've given up on breaded fish because I used to buy them from the frozen section in the supermarket, and never got into the habit of making my own.
rice cake is gf, but check the label, because some of them have wheat in them
omelets, as in plain eggs? that's gf,
pasta is available in gf version in the health food stores or online. I use tinkiyada brand. Takes at least forty minutes to cook so give it time. I cook it often. I boil the water, add some salt and oil (so the pasta doesn't 'stick') and when water is bubbling add the pasta and cook for about 45 minutes.

Would love to help you so post with any questions.

gold21

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 2:19 am
yes that is probably true. I havent had great mazal so far in finding a great doc for my son, but im still searching. 3 allergists and 2 dermatologists and 3 ENTs so far. the last ENT was great, but didnt take my insurance. bummer. dr jay dolitsky by the way, hes great! the allergists I have seen were awful, for me, and are beloved by others. now im waiting for appt with another ENT. maybe homeopath is the right route.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics