Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Internet service

amother

Post Sun, May 21 2006, 1:17 am
Broadband, dsl, dial-up, what's the diff.?

I have such sloooooow connection, my friend says she has broadband and it's so fast.

So I'm wondering what's the diff bet these terms?

And where can I get a good deal, in terms of $. My friend says she pays about $50 a month for broadband connection. Is that the going rate? Is there something less expensive yet faster than my sloooow current connection?

Thanks gals!

hisorerus

Post Sun, May 21 2006, 1:19 am
DSL is plenty fast. You don't need cable or broadband. I pay $15 a month as part of a discount deal with my phone plan, otherwise I understand it's more like $35.

cindy324

Post Sun, May 21 2006, 1:31 am
Yes DLS is great, but when I moved 3 blocks from my old house they told me it's not available at my new location!! So I signed up for Cable, and it's AMAZING!!! I honestly don't know how people deal with dial up.

I signed on for the Optimum triple play, but if you want just the double play (phone service , unlimited local and long distance also to Canada and Puerto Rico) plus internet, they have it for 29.95 a month for each for one year, then goes up a bit, don't know how much. If you wanna find out an dlive in NY, call 718-617-3500

cutiemom

Post Sun, May 21 2006, 1:46 am
Depends where you are located:
If you are in NY then the only way to get DSL is through Verizon and their phone service is VERY expensive compared to other plans. If you are not in NY you usually have more choices who to use for DSL.
basically in terms of speed it goes:
1. Dial up
2. DSL
3. Broadband

Dial up is the cheapest, and DSL and Broadband (depending where you are located) are similar in price range. Like someone said could be 15-20 if you get it with phone service or could be 45 and Cable/Broadband is about 50-60. But the speed is soooo worth it if you use the internet a lot.

Good luck

yrs1025

Post Sun, May 21 2006, 8:19 am
We have dsl and pay $12.99/month.

amother

Post Sun, May 21 2006, 2:21 pm
Thanks for all your responses.

Yrs1025, where do you get it for 12.99 a month?

I live in NY, and will keep looking out for additional responses.

Thanks a lot, folks!

yrs1025

Post Sun, May 21 2006, 5:56 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for all your responses.

Yrs1025, where do you get it for 12.99 a month?

I live in NY, and will keep looking out for additional responses.

Thanks a lot, folks!

In Ohio, it is $12.99/month if you sign up online.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 21 2006, 10:03 pm
a lot of people get it throu their cable company, but you first have ot pay for cable tv...

shayna82

Post Sun, May 21 2006, 10:13 pm
broadband is a term used for data transmission where a lot of information is sent all at the same time, which makes it go fast.

dsl stands for digistal subsriber service is a form of broadband, where one line is for the voice and one is for the information.

dial up-youget online through a modem that is connected to the phone line.

shopaholic

Post Mon, May 22 2006, 3:01 pm
We used to have dial up (UUUUUUCH!) & now we got cable from Optimum Online. Only internet, no phone or TV. DH calls DSL - Digital Slow Line. He says it's not that great.

queen

Post Tue, May 23 2006, 8:30 am
we have DSL and pay either $29 or $39 a month.... (dh would know as he's the bill payer)
DSL speed also depends on how strong they have your area connected, if at all. There still are some places you are not able to get DSL.

brooklyn

Post Tue, May 23 2006, 8:35 am
Not all DSL is the same. There are different speeds that the data transmits. Usually when Verizon offers those really great 12.99 rates it is for the slower service which is not much better than dial up. The faster DSL works fine and is pretty fast but nowhere near as fast as cable.

yrs1025

Post Tue, May 23 2006, 8:42 am
brooklyn wrote:
Not all DSL is the same. There are different speeds that the data transmits. Usually when Verizon offers those really great 12.99 rates it is for the slower service which is not much better than dial up. The faster DSL works fine and is pretty fast but nowhere near as fast as cable.

We have the dsl for $12.99. It is not slow. Much faster than dial up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics