Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Gluten Free Challah Recipe
1  2  Next

Gsanmb

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 11:58 am
I have gone on a gluten free diet and need a good, relatively simple, and not too big challah recipe. Thanks!

mandksima

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 3:05 pm
I have one for you made out of special GF oat flour, I'll try to find it but I haven't used it in a long while.

mandksima

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 3:19 pm
3 C special GF oat flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4+ C sugar
1 pkg yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
2 tsp hot water (not boiling) from 3/4 C total
2 eggs, room temp
1/4 C soy/ricemilk
1/4 C oil
2 1/2 tsp xantham gum

Dissolve yeast in 2 tsp sugar (from the 1/4 C or additional if you like it sweet) and the 2 tsp of water. Set aside. Mix all dry ingredients, add oil and mix. Beat and add in rest except yeast mix, eggs last. Pour yeast mix in and mix 5 min. It will be sticky in the end. Cover and place in warm area for 1 hour. Mix by hand 5 min. Divide into rolls or small loaf and rise and cover. Bake at 200 C/395 F for 15-20 min (rolls) or longer for loaves, maybe 40-60 min.

From what I remember, it was edible and it was hamotzei but wasn't like regular yummy challah, unfortunately!

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 4:04 pm
xanthum gum? Will I find this in the baking section of a normal grocery? I'd really like to try and make this for my son.
Also, do you think I can substitute another kind of GF flour? I have this all purpose GF baking mix. Think that would be okay?
I'm not much of a baker so baking GF seems even more intimidating. But I really need to come up with something edible for my son. The stuff I have purchased is just awful.

mandksima

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 1:57 am
MiracleMama wrote:
xanthum gum? Will I find this in the baking section of a normal grocery? I'd really like to try and make this for my son.
Also, do you think I can substitute another kind of GF flour? I have this all purpose GF baking mix. Think that would be okay?
I'm not much of a baker so baking GF seems even more intimidating. But I really need to come up with something edible for my son. The stuff I have purchased is just awful.

Xantham gum is necessary for the bread to come out decently and they sell it in any health food store and probably not in a grocery. Any other GF flour will be shehakol and not hamotzei. If you want a weekday bread recipe, I have that but it is not good for Shabbat. Ask your rav if your son needs to have hamotzei (maybe just get special pesach oat GF matzahs for him for that) and maybe make rolls that he can have in addition that are shehakol.

Taliaville

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 8:28 pm
I know this is a little late, but I got this from mishpacha. It is excellent. Really fluffy and light and delish. A mix between egg and water challah.

4 tbsp yeast
1 ¾ cups warm water
2 tbsp sugar
4 eggs
1 cup oil
1 cup soy milk
6 cups oat flour
1 ½ tbsp xanthan gum
2 tsp salt
½ cup sugar
½ cup tapioca flour

Proof Yeast and Warm Water and 2 tbsp sugar.
Preheat oven to 375
Mix eggs oil and milk, combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add 2 cups at a time to liquid egg mixture. Mix on high 10-15 minutes. Spoon into 12 cupcake tins, let rise 30 minutes, then top with an egg wash of 1 egg yolk and 1 tbsp water, bake 35 minutes. Challah will look darker than usual.

rivka6

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 5:23 pm
4 tbsp? you mean 4 tablespoons? that seems like a lot.
As a person with celiac, I am always looking for the perfect challah recipe. I'll try it, I just want to check the yeast amount.

Taliaville

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 6:29 pm
Yea. The out flour is very heavy and rises quickly, so it needs lots of help rising and getting fluffy.

rivka6

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 6:46 pm
Thanks! I'll try it, b"n, after pesah.

ArthurDent

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 1:41 pm
I'm going to try this too. Please post how yours came out. Any GF moms know where to get this stuff in Baltimore? Do you just order all your ingredients online? Where?

Taliaville wrote:
I know this is a little late, but I got this from mishpacha. It is excellent. Really fluffy and light and delish. A mix between egg and water challah.

4 tbsp yeast
1 ¾ cups warm water
2 tbsp sugar
4 eggs
1 cup oil
1 cup soy milk
6 cups oat flour
1 ½ tbsp xanthan gum
2 tsp salt
½ cup sugar
½ cup tapioca flour

Proof Yeast and Warm Water and 2 tbsp sugar.
Preheat oven to 375
Mix eggs oil and milk, combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add 2 cups at a time to liquid egg mixture. Mix on high 10-15 minutes. Spoon into 12 cupcake tins, let rise 30 minutes, then top with an egg wash of 1 egg yolk and 1 tbsp water, bake 35 minutes. Challah will look darker than usual.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 1:48 pm
IIRC you can get basically everything at Whole Foods.

rivka6

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 2:14 pm
For those GF moms far away from whole foods, Bob's Red Mill has a reliable hesher per my rabbi, and is on line, too.
I prefer the first of the 2 GF challah recipes too, though they both worked. It is so nice to "motzie" again.

ArthurDent

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 3:02 pm
Trying this recipe right now. Boy is my kitchen a mess!!! The challahs are in the oven and baking. It smells heavenly!! I have to say though, that this recipe makes way more than a dozen challahs. I've got 14 in the oven right now, and I'm even using jumbo sized muffin cups. I tried to smoosh as much of the batter as possible into the 12 tins, but they're rising in the oven to probably double the size.

This recipe could have easily made 20 challahs. Next time, I'll halve it.

Can't wait for them to come out to taste it!

ArthurDent

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 3:31 pm
Just tasting the first one. Not bad! They're exactly as you've described them, sort of a cross between egg and water challah. Slightly sweet; with a spongy, moist center.

ArthurDent

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 8:27 pm
Sad

DH did not like it. Any other oat challah recipes you guys can recommend?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 7:59 pm
Bump

Anyone else have a recipe to share?

ArthurDent

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 10:29 am
I've looked all over for an oat based challah recipe; there aren't too many out there.

But I did have luck adjusting this recipe. Instead of 6 cups of oat flour, I use 4 cups oat flour and 2 cups brown rice flour. It lightened up the challah muffins considerably. I still only think that the challahs are edible when very warm, though. My 4 yr old dd who's eating gluten free love the challah though, and that's good.

We heard from multiple rabbonim that the halacha regarding whether we can make ha-motzi on an oat flour based bread is whether it retains its oat flour. (We were asking whether or not mixing the dough with rice flour to dilute the oat would change it to mezonos.) They said that, in theory, you could even have more rice (or some other) flour than you have of the oat flour in the dough, but so long as the challah still TASTES like an oat bread, then you can make ha-motzi on it. I still keep it a majority oat flour though to play it safe.

However, this means that you can probably experiment with all sorts of gluten-free bread recipes and throw in a bit of oat flour and make a challah out of it.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jul 25 2010, 12:19 pm
In case anyone is interested- I tried mandksima's recipe last week. I decided to throw it in the bread machine, so I did the usual order of wet ingredients-dry ingredients-yeast in flour. I also subbed water for soymilk, since I didn't have any, and used egg replacer instead of eggs. With all that, they came out pretty good. I ate the challah with dips, and it was definitely a good base for that. The flavor is good, texture was kind of interesting, and they looked funny, but overall, not bad at all. Worth making again, imo.

mandksima

Post Sun, Jul 25 2010, 3:22 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
In case anyone is interested- I tried mandksima's recipe last week. I decided to throw it in the bread machine, so I did the usual order of wet ingredients-dry ingredients-yeast in flour. I also subbed water for soymilk, since I didn't have any, and used egg replacer instead of eggs. With all that, they came out pretty good. I ate the challah with dips, and it was definitely a good base for that. The flavor is good, texture was kind of interesting, and they looked funny, but overall, not bad at all. Worth making again, imo.

I'm glad!

ArthurDent

Post Tue, Aug 03 2010, 11:55 pm
I tried this new recipe for the first time last week and I loved it! I think I'll try it again this week, only try to dilute the oat flour with a bit of rice flour. The challahs, as is, were fluffy and delicious.

Ingredients: Needs to be prepared in a bread maker
1 2/3 cups of very warm water
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vinegar
10 squirts honey (I used agave syrup)
1 ½ tsb salt
4 eggs plus 1 white
½ cup sugar
3 ¾ cup oat flour (I've also successfully diluted/substituted part of this with 3/4 cup of brown rice flour; since oat flour is so expensive)
3 tsp xanthan gum
1 Tbs yeast

Directions:

Follow directions for your bread maker when adding ingredients. Some models require dry ingredients be put in first while others require liquids.
Select dough only mode. When finished dough can be placed in any size or shaped pan. Use extra egg yolk and pastry brush to coat the top of challah, add poppy seeds if desired.
Bake at 375 for approximately 20 minutes (depending on size of pan) or until bottom brown.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads