Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What to bring to hospital for surgery.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 10:31 am
my son is due to have surgery this week. He will be in hospital for a 2-3 days. I know what kinds of things to bring for him but for those who have done this, what do I bring for me. Its kind of like packing to give birth I guess but I want to make sure I'll have what I need. Especially since I'm not the patient I won't be provided for. Can anyone help me with this?

boruchhashem

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 10:56 am
Bring your personal things, for wear and shower. Food, depends if you are in ny, bikur cholim can bring that.

MetroMom

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 8:13 am
I've been there. Bring comfortable clothing, slippers or crocs, snoods or bandanas. Hoodies or something comfortable that's a bit warmer for the night as you may not have the best blanket situation. Bring a book or two, perhaps a book to read to him as well, a siddur with tehillim in it, 2-3 small prizes for him that he can play with in his bed....something small...a car, a pack of stickers, etc... Take food that's in small packages so that you don't leave food and bags everywhere. Small bags of snacks, smalls pkgs of cookies, pretzels, bananas, nuts,.. whatever it is you snack on. You'll be able to get water at any time of day there. Depending on the hospital that you're in, if Bikur cholim has a presence there then they may provide you with some meals but don't rely on it. I would take along some tradition soups just in case or something like that. You can definitely get hot water there. Don't take too much food with you. The clutter will drive you crazy as you'll probably have a very small space. I'm assuming that you'll have at least one or two visitors so you can always ask them to refill your supply if you need....

Good luck and hatzlochoh with the surgery!

MetroMom

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 8:24 am
.....and I forgot, of course all your basic toiletries....
Toothbrush, toothpaste, brush, ponytail holder/clips if necessary, lens solution and case if necessary, q-tips, some makeup if you want, perhaps you use a daily facial cleanser, etc.... Try to think along those lines, go through your morning and night routine in your mind and pack all your necessary items that you would not want to be without for a short visit. And with all that, bear in mind that it's always more pleasant, in my opinion, when you pack light.

If he's going in for something that isn't extremely traumatic then you might want to bring a camera. Perhaps he'll enjoy seeing a picture of himself later on in the hospital, in a hospital gown, etc.. It's his battle wounds...

Just a thought.....when we were there my son wanted to bring home his tiny little hospital gown. For some reason it was important to him to show his sister (he's a twin) and friends. We were able to bring one home for him. And now when my kids play hospital, such a long while later, they can have a 'real' patient. Even though he barely can remember anything about his hospital stay he still has a tremendous amount of pride that the hospital gown is his.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 8:30 am
Thank you so much Metromom and baruch hashem. Unfortunately there is no bikur cholim to count on here. Since we have other kids I'll probably be there alone for quite a while and not able to get things to the hospital.

I like the picture idea but I think 1st I'll have to see how bad he looks 1st a lot of the incisions will be in visible places and he might just look scary for him.

Thanks a ton for the responses. Very Happy

momstaxi

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 9:17 pm
Just wondering ...
How you are coping?
How is he recuperating?

Hope all went well!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics