Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
PJ Pants Continued = POLL!
1  2  3  4  5  Next

lucy

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 8:02 pm
Okay I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly 'cause its my first time posting a poll so here we go embarrassed !
This topic is getting interresting so lets run a poll for 4 days and get some feedback?
Feel free to add your own childhood experiences and how they effected your position on this now and general tznius. Tongue Out

What is your view on girls wearing PJ pants to sleep? Do you think it is tznius or not? At what age would you stop the pants? Do you still wear pants to sleep now?

Tefila

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 8:20 pm
Quote:
What is your view on girls wearing PJ pants to sleep? Do you think it is tznius or not? At what age would you stop the pants? Do you still wear pants to sleep now?

Nonething wrong to sleep in, so why should I stop my daughter. But would tell her to wear a robe ontop when she leaves her room. But for now she hasn't even turned 3 yet so all this is theoretical . Wink

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 6:11 am
no girls in pants in my house (this is also theoretical). only tznius nightgowns. I dont think girls should be comfortable in pants...

proudmom

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 6:29 am
My girls wear pants to sleep. I also do and that is the way I was brought up. I cant wear a night gown I feel tangled in it. RG would you ever put pants on your girls or only dresses?

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 7:07 am
I would let her wear pants under 3 because thats the age the Rebbe says a girl should start wearing completely tznius clothing. I am not against girls under 3 wearing pants to sleep but I see this is a very very hard habit to break and once you start, it is very easy to go back to.

I was brought up with nightgowns, and when I got older because of peer pressure turned to pants. when I got past that stage I went back into nightgowns and was able to sleep comfortably in them.

my theory is when wearing something different that usual, you just have to get used to it and then youll be comfortable.

same thing happened to me with short socks vs. knee socks. I couldnt be comfortable in knee socks once I started wearing short socks, but once I got to used to knee socks again, not only is it comfortable but I cant wear short socks because now those are uncomfortable...

thats my theory. so personally I wouldnt want to start with pants or short socks for my girls...

on the other hand, if you know you will quit cold turkey after a certain age, I have no problem with it.

I also have no problem if you think pants are tznius to sleep in as an adult, because technically youre covered. or if you decide to wear short socks, as long as you are covered properly. it is a personal choice, and as long as we are covered properly, I think the actual details of short/long, slit/no slit,... get silly. except of course for the detail that people do consider pants beged ish, although some people dont...

so as long as we are covered the way we know we should, I have no problems. but when I see a lady on the street that looks like...., I have a big problem with it.

actually one time I was waiting outside school and there was a lady there dressed quite innappropriately who was picking up her child. someone else passed by me and asked, "do you know why theres an isha zonah outside of the yeshiva building?" I was very embarrassed for her because I knew who she was, but I must admit... that is exactly what she looked like... Confused

anyway, I didnt mean to change this topic into a general tznius one... so back to pajama pants...

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 7:23 am
yes to pj pants and pants under skirts in cold weather!!!!

Sunshine

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 10:25 am
This is also theoretically for me now, but I want to know what those of you do that live in cold climates. If you don't let your daughters wear PJ pants what do they do to stay warm at night? You see I grew up in warm climate and recently moved to a very cold climate so I am still getting used to the whole cold climate mentality and 4 seasoned weather. Any ideas on how to keep them warm at night besides PJ pants? Please don't suggest turning up the heat really high because it isn't healthy and I get very caustrophobic and stuffy if it is on high during the night.

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 10:37 am
extra blankets?

are your windows drafty? you can cover them with plastic, works wonders and saves on heating bills...

Tefila

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 10:39 am
What about outside RG in minus 40! Pants under a skirt you still wouldn't do? Confused I.e. leggings Confused

Last edited by Tefila on Wed, Jan 26 2005, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 10:53 am
leggings to me are not the same as pants.
I would do layers of thermal underwear, leggings, tights, and thick socks and warm boots.

(you wouldnt find me living in alaska so fast.... Very Happy )

mommy2

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 5:37 pm
delete

Last edited by mommy2 on Wed, Jul 05 2006, 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 5:51 pm
mommy2- I had the same thing with nightgowns at overnight camp. it is awful what girls do to each other at that age. I really would not know which camp to send my girls to, because although they have tznius rules about no pants for sleeping, I have yet to see a camp that keeps to their own rules...
I really would not want to put any young girl in the same position I was stuck in...

zuncompany

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 7:37 pm
I wear PJ bottoms. When I wear nightgowns I literally wake up with it wraped around my neck over my chest. Not snious. When I am a niddah I wear PJs under the nightgown.

Sara

lucy

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 8:32 pm
Firstly I want to just thank everyone for their replies. Very Happy
As for what to put your daughters in in really cold weather.....well I live in a 4 season climate where winter IS WINTER so thats a tricky one. I don't know really what to say.....For the past few days I've put my daughter in snow pants but she's just three, though for next year I (a real Jewish mom shopper!) bought my daughter a long warm coat and she'll have really warm tights (i.e.pants under skirts in cold weather )
When it's -30 degrees, I would probably put snow pants under the coat or a snowsuit I don't know yet, it's hard to decide. When you live in a climate that is cold for a good few months (not that I want to be laid back on tznius) it's somewhat of a different issue, because it becomes not necesssarily halach rather warmth!

lucy

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 8:34 pm
Foreveryoung: so you let your girls pj pants, always or are you planning on switching to nightgown sometime ?

hadasa

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 10:22 am
Both I and my daughter wear pajama pants under a nightgown. I think this is the best way, Tzniuswise. When my daughter sleeps without pants, she ends up with her legs totally exposed.

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 11:02 am
when am I going to make a switch? Confused

I will go with the flow - she is little now, we shall see where the tide will take us. She likes nightgowns & skirts, so probably I will get her nightgowns for the warmer weather.
And I would rather she wore pants w/ slips or robes during the colder seasons - She sleeps on top of her blanket, and I'd like her to be warm.

I do not have a policy.

And we also asked our Rav & he said that at 3 girls don't have to be dressed tzniusly; only when we take her to shul.

Last edited by ForeverYoung on Thu, Feb 17 2005, 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

lucy

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 12:23 pm
Quote: And we also asked our Rav & he said that at 3 girls don't have to be dressed tzniusly; only when we take her to shul.

I have heard this from a few ppl. (this is absolutely not to be taken as an insult to your Rav) why do pple feel that children should dress one way in shul yet elswhere differently it doesn't apply?
If you feel, for example, that your daughter should be tzniusdik in shul then why not walking around outside of shul? It's like the whole theory that ppl have the cover thier hair only outside of their home, but once inside there could be ppl walking around and they don't?
I don't know I'm trying to understand it.

lucy

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 12:24 pm
Both I and my daughter wear pajama pants under a nightgown. I think this is the best way, Tzniuswise. When my daughter sleeps without pants, she ends up with her legs totally exposed.

Seems like a good solution. Smile

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 7:04 pm
Quote:
why do pple feel that children should dress one way in shul yet elswhere differently

I think this has to do more with respect to others -
if I bring my daughter to where all kind of people daven,
I have the responsibility of making sure it will be acceptable by everybody.

Also, my girl is rather tall, she looks 4.5 @ 3.

Another point: it's like out of respect for Shabbos you dress differently.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers