Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Serugim

elf123

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 10:55 am
We just discovered the Israeli show "Serugim" and we are obsessed with it! I don't see that anyone has started a thread about it yet, or have they? From what I've gathered, it's in its second season and for lack of a better description, it's like an Israeli "modern Orthodox" version of the show "Friends." From what I've read, although none of the actors are frum in real life, the creators/writers/directors of the show are. It takes place in Katamon which is like the Israeli version of Manhattan's Upper West Side. Has anyone else here seen it? You can watch it online, it's in Hebrew with Hebrew subtitles (?) and although we are watching it with one finger on the "pause" button, we are really enjoying it! Plus it's good for my Hebrew!

TzipG

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 10:58 am
new season starting jan 10th!!!! can't wait!!

I was totally obsessed last yr with this series.

and it definitely is great for my hebrew - I learned so much slang that I dont get from newspapers, books, etc.

elf123

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 11:02 am
So TzipG, is it the third season starting in January? And speaking of slang, we can't figure out what the word "Ahlan" (spelled in Hebrew Alef Hay Lamed Nun) actually means. It's used as a greeting so obviously is some form of "hello" or "hi" but what exactly is it?

Tamiri

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 11:12 am
I tried watching it online once and it seemed boring.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 11:25 am
where can this be watched online?

elf123

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 9:26 pm
Sorry, had to get the link from DH:

http://yes.walla.co.il/?w=1/7531

sequoia

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 9:27 pm
I've heard such good things about this show! Where can one watch it with English subtitles?

elf123

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 10:20 pm
As far as I know you can't watch it online with English subtitles, although we were told it might be available on DVD with them. Not sure where, though...maybe someone in Israel would know?

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:52 am
elf123 wrote:
So TzipG, is it the third season starting in January? And speaking of slang, we can't figure out what the word "Ahlan" (spelled in Hebrew Alef Hay Lamed Nun) actually means. It's used as a greeting so obviously is some form of "hello" or "hi" but what exactly is it?

Yes it's "hi". I's one of those Arabic slang-type words that got incorporated into Hebrew
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics