Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Soy formula vs milk based formula

amother

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 12:10 pm
Is there a problem with feeding a baby soy formula ( long term, not bf at all) vs feeding milk based formula. I heard that soy is not good to be ingested on a regular basis... something to do with affecting the hormones.
does anyone know more about this, please?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 1:22 pm
I heard that too much soy can cause infertility

caringarden

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:52 pm
I think when you stop the soy formula the infertility will wear off.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:58 pm
do you have a source for soy effecting fertility? ive never heard that before, but its either very frightening or a very big bubamise'

Rodent

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 3:49 pm
Soy contains natural components that mimic estrogens. As part of a balanced diet they are fine. The general recommendation is that unless there is a specific reason to avoid dairy (allergy etc) then soy formulas shouldn't be used "just because". There is minimal research on the effects of SOLEY soy diets but I did read of some unusual cases of toddler boys developing breast buds etc as a result of the estrogen levels and also some girls having early puberty. From what I read, it is more concerning with baby boys than baby girls and I think the worry with infertility is with boys not developing properly due to the hormone imbalance early on so I would imagine that could be permanent? I'm guessing that last part. I've never heard of it having any impact on female fertility, in fact it is supposed to help with menopause by supplementing the hormones that aren't being produced so I would have thought it would be positive if anything??

I can't show links, I didn't save them. But I did look into it when we needed to put our first on formula as we only have 3 types available here and I thought soy being parev may be a plus despite that brand being hard to find. But after reading around, well we have 3 boys and I would only use soy formula if I was desperate. Older with substantial solids I have no issue, in fact #2 has dairy issues now that he's older and has soy milk and numerous other soy products, but not formula.

Most Jews here with babies on formula use the soy though and I haven't heard of any issues. And I think issues in general are small but I just didn't want to chance it when milk based formulas are closer to human milk nutritionally anyway.

Atali

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 4:08 pm
I know I am going to get bashed for this, but...

I used soy formula for all three of my kids since I was more concerned about the negative spiritual effects of eating chalav stam then the possible unproven negative physical effects of soy formula. In addition to the fact that in Australia (where I lived when my boys were babies) the dairy formula is very questionably kosher.

With my youngest I started with the soy since the CY formula is difficult to find in Baltimore. However, when I tried getting her milk-based formula for pesach I discovered that she is allergic to dairy, so back to soy it was.

Last edited by Atali on Thu, Dec 31 2009, 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Atali

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 4:13 pm
Oh, and neither of my boys are even remotely feminine

amother

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 6:33 pm
I really did not appreciate reading this thread. Both DH and I have fertility issues and we finally had twins after a long wait. For various reasons I can not nurse. Unfortunately, they react very badly to dairy formula, so soy formula it is Sad. Both DH's and my type of infertility are genetic, so I am worried enough about my kids as it is...
Atali, I was pleased by your response at least.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:
I really did not appreciate reading this thread. Both DH and I have fertility issues and we finally had twins after a long wait. For various reasons I can not nurse. Unfortunately, they react very badly to dairy formula, so soy formula it is Sad. Both DH's and my type of infertility are genetic, so I am worried enough about my kids as it is...
Atali, I was pleased by your response at least.

Don't feel bad. As parents, we all have choices to make. And we have to make the best possible choice that we have; we don't always have the option of the "perfect" choice.
I too had to make a decision, and my child ended up on soy formula from age 6 months until past age 1.
Amother, if the soy option really bothers you, speak to your doctor about other formula choices. There are some more options out there, besides for milk and soy. They are expensive though. I know that some people have WIC though, and I heard that with a note from the ped, it can be covered by that program.
Good luck, and please feel confident in your decisions, whatever they are.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 9:19 am
Soy is very high in estrogen, it is recommended to limit it especially in small boys. It can effect fertility if a male consumes A LOT of it at an age where he is trying to have children. The good news is, if it is limited, Fertility does return. I would not think too much into soy formula as a baby and a boys future fertility.

Soy and dairy have very similar proteins, Many babies who cannot have dairy react badly to soy as well. Soy is many times not the answer for allergic children. Both dairy and soy are in the top 8 allergen categories.

Atali

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 9:30 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Soy is very high in estrogen, it is recommended to limit it especially in small boys. It can effect fertility if a male consumes A LOT of it at an age where he is trying to have children. The good news is, if it is limited, Fertility does return. I would not think too much into soy formula as a baby and a boys future fertility.

Soy and dairy have very similar proteins, Many babies who cannot have dairy react badly to soy as well. Soy is many times not the answer for allergic children. Both dairy and soy are in the top 8 allergen categories.

Some children are just allergic to milk and not to soy, however. My DD who is allergic to milk does just fine with soy. It depends on the child.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 3:51 pm
Atali wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:

Some children are just allergic to milk and not to soy, however. My DD who is allergic to milk does just fine with soy. It depends on the child.

did you read my post? nowhere, does it say ALL babies...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics