Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Please help me put my baby on a schedule!
Previous  1  2

intel

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 4:42 pm
im still trying to get my almost 7 month old on a sleep sched. she was sick last two weeks so e/ time I think it will happen now s/th else happens. Sad this thread is very helpful. she has been waking a little earlier than usual and more times at night since shes sick. so whatever sched she did have was disrupted. my husband wants me to put her to sleep later so she wakes up later. any truth to that or will she wake up same time if she goes to sleep earlier?

also one thing I don't agree w above is that no baby can be up for more than 1-2 hrs. may be true for newborns but not older babies.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 7:18 pm
Op again:

So, this is what I tried today and how it played out:

Woke him up 10:30am.
Napped from 2:20-4:30
Slept from 7-9:20.
Now he's up.

HELP! I hope and pray that he'll go back to sleep for the night, but I have this sinking feeling that since he slept from 7-9:20, and didn't stay sleeping, he's going to be up VERY late tonight.
Sigh.

pobody's nerfect

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 7:50 pm
just wanna share my success-- my baby self-regulated to a schedule, but he was going to sleep for the night way too late for my liking. (between 1030 and 1230).

I wasn't going to do anything about it, but this thread inspired me!

tonight, I did not let him sleep at all when he tried to fall asleep around 7 (usually I'll let him go 10-20 min if it's that late).

then at 8:15, I put him in PJs and sang shema/hamalach while in the rocking chair in the dark. I tried to feed him but he only ate 2 oz instead of his usual 4. he passed out while still eating and I transferred him to bed. (well, to the bouncy seat where he sleeps these days.)

he woke up at 9:30, but I just rocked him for a minute and gave him his paci and he was fine. I think he just needed the paci, but since I didn't hear him right away cuz I was using the food processor he got much more upset and needed the rocking.

it's almost 11 now and he's still sleeping!! I'm debating whether I should try to feed him before I go to sleep. that way I'm ensuring at least 3 hours of sleep for myself, whereas if I don't feed him he could wake up 20 minutes after I fall asleep. any advice on this?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 7:56 pm
OP

Lucky you, Pobody!!
My baby is up and is charming as ever. I wish he took a pacifier. I've tried persistently to get him to take one, but to no avail.

I would humbly suggest not waking him up, as you never know, he might sleep longer than you think. G'luck!

pobody's nerfect

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 8:05 pm
thanks, amother.
but I know that he doesn't have to wake up to eat. I can give him a bottle while he's still in his bouncy seat, and he doesn't need to burp on his new formula. so.... should I do it?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 8:09 pm
Go for it!

supermama2

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 8:14 pm
A few of mine would NOT take a paci either.

On the sleeping schedule..why do you wake him at 10:30?? That seems like a late waking time..w/ my 5 mo. old, she'll take a power nap around 6 for 30 min. or so then I work to keep her up till around 9. It's hit or miss on when she wakes..sometimes midnight or 2 or as a bonus lately she'll sleep 'till 4:30 then after nursing go back to sleep till 6 or so ( I'm up by 5:30 to start the day ). Ok so off my soap box here I think you can get him up earlier in the morning and work to bed earlier in the evening.

intel

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 8:51 pm
pobod, idk if still applies but if ate so little I would feed again in his sleep since he is probably empty.

my baby was so good and fell asleep (after being pushed in the carriage for a while) at such a nice time! around 8:30 and got up a little bit ago. I fed her but she didn't go back to sleep. she is UP and trying to charm us into playing and laughing at her which of course worked eventually since she wasn't going to sleep anytime soon anyway. Sad (and she was acting SO funny!)

DS

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 9:50 pm
I havent read the other replies but I swear by GOOD NIGHT SLEEP TIGHT by kim west.

pobody's nerfect

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 4:59 am
ok so here's how my yitzy fared:

I opted not to feed him in his sleep but to see what he'd do naturally. so he slept from 8:30 til 12:45 (of course, right after I'd gotten into bed he woke up!), ate 4 oz, slept til 5:00, ate 3 oz, slept til 6:30. at that point, I think he was ready to start his day, but since I wasnt I just took him into my bed for as long as I could. at 7:30, he got really annoyed so we got up, but he wasn't hungry. just awake!

hooray! he slept SO nicely! and in his own bed the whole night! (I don't like to co-sleep but do it when I'm desperate)

thank you for inspiring me, mommies! let's just hope we can do this again tonight.

pobody's nerfect

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 5:00 am
ok so here's how my yitzy fared:

I opted not to feed him in his sleep but to see what he'd do naturally. so he slept from 8:30 til 12:45 (of course, right after I'd gotten into bed he woke up!), ate 4 oz, slept til 5:00, ate 3 oz, slept til 6:30. at that point, I think he was ready to start his day, but since I wasnt I just took him into my bed for as long as I could. at 7:30, he got really annoyed so we got up, but he wasn't hungry. just awake!

hooray! he slept SO nicely! and in his own bed the whole night! (I don't like to co-sleep but do it when I'm desperate)

thank you for inspiring me, mommies! let's just hope we can do this again tonight.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 8:35 am
OP here:

Pobody, I'm jealous! I feel like mine (and the above poster Smile )is the only baby who simply will not go to bed early. But, I have to keep telling myself that it's only the 2nd day trying to schedule him, and it will take some time to get there. It's a good thing he's so cute...
The reason he's up so late in the morning is b/c he goes to bed so late. So by 7am, I'm sooo tired, I can't even get up to wake him up. I'm going to try getting him up a half an hour earlier each day, instead of all at once. We'll see how it goes!
Again, thanks all of you for the great advice.

MommytoB

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 7:45 am
OP -- keep at it. Good plan to go 1/2 hour earlier every day. It is really hard to set a schedule but so worth it. And for a 4 month old, one two hour nap a day is not enough. That sets up for an over tired baby who cannot sleep because they are too wound up. What do you do with him when he wakes at 9pm? Make sure lights are off, no noise, no eye contact so he knows it is nighttime. Feed him, change him and put him right back in the crib. If he fusses for awhile, go in and nurse again (if you are nursing) but keep it dark and quiet. Don't take him out of his room!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics