Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO crockpot potato kugel

mominisrael2

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 9:56 am
Anyone ever try to make a potato kugel in the crockpot? Looking for an easy recipe...TIA!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 12:08 pm
that's an interesting idea ! I made cake in there once - I mean, I tried to - and it didn't come out, but that does't mean that this won't !

mominisrael2

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 12:12 pm
Once I tried making something that kinda came out like potato kugel using latke mix and put it as the top layer of my cholent -- don't remember what I did exactly but it came out great, so I figured it might work by itself...

reed

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 11:51 am
Horizons recently had a crockpot article that suggested using your regular potato kugel recipe and layering it with pieces of meat in the middle. I don't remember the rest of the directions exactly, but I've been meaning to try it.

If anyone has tried this, or has any similar suggestions, please let us know. TIA!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 11:53 am
reed wrote:
Horizons recently had a crockpot article that suggested using your regular potato kugel recipe and layering it with pieces of meat in the middle. I don't remember the rest of the directions exactly, but I've been meaning to try it.

If anyone has tried this, or has any similar suggestions, please let us know. TIA!

My friend makes this often. I once tried it in the oven. It's good!

mominisrael2

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 11:57 am
reed wrote:

Can you post the recipe, sounds yum!!!

reed

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 12:28 pm
Has anyone tried it in the crockpot?

BTW, Family First had an oven recipe for potato kugel with pastrami slices mixed in. Same idea. Wondering if that would work in crockpot too. Either for dinner (6-8 hours, I guess), or for Shabbos lunch, which would be overnight +.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 1:27 pm
reed wrote:

I saw a recipe like this in either a Hamodia or Mishpacha yom tov section. You layer thin pieces of meat in the middle, cover, bake on high for an hour, then 300 overnight. But I don't know about baking it in a crockpot to start.

mosma

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 1:41 pm
my MIL makes kugel with flanken in it. it's AMAZING. kugel, then meat, then kugel.

hadasa

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 1:47 pm
I did it with a regular potato kugel recipe. It looked unappetizing, but tasted surprisingly good.

reed

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 3:47 pm
How long did you cook it for? At what setting(s)?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 4:52 pm
reed wrote:
How long did you cook it for? At what setting(s)?

My friend makes the kugel and meat/Yapsuk dish often.
What she does:
Place the slow cooker/crock pot on the #5 degree setting at 10:00am or 11:00am Friday morning.
Before candlelighting, switch setting on crockpot to the #4 degree setting, and leave to cook until the Shabbos morning meal.

It doesn't come out as firm as a kugel. If you want a kugel consistancy:
Divide your regular kugel mixture into two separate aluminum pans, and bake them in the oven for half the amount of time that you usually bake your kugel. Then place one potato kugel on the bottom of the crockpot, the meat on top of that, and the second kugel on top of that.

reed

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 6:20 pm
Thanks!

newwife14

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 4:43 am
I make a regular potato kugel in the oven. Then before shabbos I wrap it in aluminum foil and place it in the cholent. It is delicious when I serve it shabbos day.

lizard8

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 4:51 am
I put my cooked potato kugel in the crock-pot on top of the cholent. Everyone loves it that way!

MetroMom

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 4:59 am
My Father-In-Law makes it every single shabbos in the cholent. He makes the regular mixture, sets the cholent on a high setting so that the liquid is either boiling or close to it, and then he puts the mixture into the cholent, on top of everything. Because of the high setting it sets pretty quickly, at least the bottom layer of it, so that it doesn't fall apart and get mixed in to the cholent. Then he puts the setting back to whatever it normally is and by shabbos lunch, the kugel is served with the cholent. It's definitely a different consistency, but it must be really good because it goes pretty quickly by their meal. (I'm not a cholent eater so I don't eat the kugel either....)

MetroMom

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 5:03 am
Can anyone tell me what ISO refers to..... I must have asked so far about five times since I'm here, yet nobody has taken the time to answer me.... It's just a relatively minor curiosity so I won't go crazy if I never know, but if someone would kindly......? Please......?

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 5:05 am
MetroMom wrote:
Can anyone tell me what ISO refers to..... I must have asked so far about five times since I'm here, yet nobody has taken the time to answer me.... It's just a relatively minor curiosity so I won't go crazy if I never know, but if someone would kindly......? Please......?

In Search Of

Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes