Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Does she have worms?

cinnamon

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 12:39 pm
for the past few nights my two and a half year old dd has been waking up at complaining that her "back side" hurts. I don't see anything there could it be worms? what should I be looking for if it is worms? what can I give her for it? What else could it be? I would appriciate any and all advice and ideas...
thanks!

Luvinglife

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 12:48 pm
is her backside area irritated and red?

you can search for pinworms yourself, if you are up to it.
otherwise, you can ask your pediatrician to prescribe vermox, it flushes the pinworms out of the body.
you can also make a paste of crushed garlic and vaseline and shmeer it onto the area.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 12:48 pm
Try lifting her legs up as if you were changing her diaper. Spread her cheeks apart. You may be able to see little squiggly wormy things that are skin colored. A flashlight helps. Pumpkin seeds help but if she has worms, she'll medication. My Dr's office has a home test that I can do & bring back to them for testing. Maybe yours has that & you won't need an appointment.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 12:58 pm
My 7 year old had this past Friday night. I had never even heard of it before, but she told me her back side hurt, I told her to show it to me, and I saw some small white thread-like lines. It was horrible, I didn't sleep all shabbos. I ran to the doctor first thing Sunday morning. Some doctor's believe that the whole family should take the Vermox since it's highly contagious. It's 1 dose, and then 1 more dose 10 days later. According to the articles I read up on, worms are also likely to return, so keep an eye out.

Luvinglife

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:10 pm
my 3 y/o DD has been suffering from pinworms since september.

I have tried Vermox, but it only helped for 2 weeks until we had reoccurence.
Once she starts complaining (and it is usually only after 12 AM), I do as shopaholic says, though her pinworms are not skin colored, they are actually white...

I have heard they homeopathic remedies are very effective.
Does anyone have info on specific remedies that I should ask for?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 2:12 pm
dveibel wrote:
my 3 y/o DD has been suffering from pinworms since september.

I have tried Vermox, but it only helped for 2 weeks until we had reoccurence.
Once she starts complaining (and it is usually only after 12 AM), I do as shopaholic says, though her pinworms are not skin colored, they are actually white...

I have heard they homeopathic remedies are very effective.
Does anyone have info on specific remedies that I should ask for?

You can't give the meds only once. Vermox you give once and then two weeks another dose to get rid of anything that hatched since then.

cinnamon

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 2:19 pm
Thanks so much everyone!
I tried to look but didn't see anything (thank g-d I would have totally freaked if I'd see worms) it isn't red either. Ped does not work on friday but if she complains adain tommorow night I will go first thing on sunday.

Luvinglife

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 2:43 pm
when DD started suffering from it, I did freak out when I saw my first pinworm.
It actually looks like the small worms that come out after a rain, slithering around in a an "S" shape...

but.. my DH makes fun of me now that it has become a thrill for me.
Nothing like the feeling of having your DD writhing in agony and then...
you pluck the worm out...
and...
RELIEF!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 3:12 pm
Worms? You mean pinworms?

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 3:34 pm
It could be strep.

lilacdreams

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 3:41 pm
when my dd's used to get them I never never found them in the backside area - but always in their privates!! when girls complain I might be worth while to check inside the vag area.

Get a q-tip andwet it with water then just dab it onto the worm and it will come straight off your dd.

Marigold

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 3:45 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
It could be strep.

Yes! I've heard of kids having back, foot pain and ended up having strep so definitely check it out.
Mostly, kids who have pinworms don't just complain but they writhe in agony. DD3 keeps having them and there's something in her screams (in middle of the night) that sets the alarm bells off that pinworms must be the culprit. They are usually either in the vaginal or backside area and the ones I have seen are white.(as dveibel said)
Pinworms usually come out at the beginning of the month to lay their eggs. Vermox does help for a bit however I've had many reoccurences. Since the last time she had it I have cut out all junk (her teacher is being very supportive) and orange juice and have seen remarkable improvement b"h. (fingers crossed)

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 3:50 pm
if it is worms you may be able to see it in her stool.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 4:56 pm
Pinworms need to be treated with an anti parasite,and most prob your dr will want to treat eveyrone in the house. You have to do a major washing, too.

new-here

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 7:04 pm
Paddington, why are you cutting out orange juice? what does that have to do with worms?
My doc recommended taking vermox for 3 days in a row, then again 10 days later for my ds because after being treated, he would be full of pinworms again 3 months later.
In my experience, if you are prone, it is just a constant battle and nothing helps. Its like children with chronic ear infections. you treat it, it goes away, and before you know it, its back. Only condolence is the they will outgrow it iy'h

amother

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 7:11 pm
If you have little thumb suckers you can expect to have to go through this again and again unfortunately. Don't freak out about it, my doctor says that at any given time half the kids in town have it and there's not much you can do about it other than encourage them to stop sucking their thumbs (or even get your orthodontist to put in a gate to stop the thumb sucking as I did) and to teach them to wash their hands with soap and water every time they pull their underwear down or touch a toilet seat. With my older kids focusing on cleanliness really helped but trying telling that to the little ones who can't keep their fingers or toys out of their mouths Exploding anger .

For instant relief put them in the bath with alot of sugar which attracts the worms and brings them out of the body. Then crush garlic very finely with a good garlic press and with a q-tip stick a tiny bit up their bottom (not too much or that can irritate too). They'll fall asleep instantly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics