Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
What can I make with Zucchini for Shabbos side dish?
1  2  Next

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 12:41 pm
I have a lot of zucchini that I would like to use up. What side dish can I make with zucchini besides kugel? Thanks!

Motheroftwins

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 12:44 pm
Zicchini Kugel.......Fry a lot of onions until brown. Boil zucchinis in water until soft and then mash them with the onions, spices, some seasoned bread crumbs. put in frozen pie crust and sprinkle corn flake crumbs on top. bake

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 12:48 pm
Sounds delish! No eggs in recipe?

Motheroftwins

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:04 pm
oops, sorry about that

I never made it myself but ive had it and its delish...I asked the person who made it for me and I will let u know as soon as I hear back

key

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:15 pm
my favorite zucchini kugel!!

5-6 Large zuchhinis thinly sliced and sauteed in oil

in a seperate bowl mix together:
1 cup mayo
1 cup water
1 package matzah ball mix
1 tbsp onion soup mix
5 eggs

add the sauteed zucchini and put in a 9x13 sprinkel with cornflake crumbs and bake for 45 min on 350

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:25 pm
I don't know if any of you realize, but the OP specifically asked for recipes OTHER THAN kugel.

During the summer, when our zucchini crop was out of control, I'd make roasted zucchini, cut lengthwise into strips, drizzled with olive oil and sea salt.

I'd also make a sweet and sour zucchini:
Zucchini
diced sauteed onion
chopped tomato
celery
green olives
vinegar
sugar
salt
pepper
My usual go-to is just stir fried zucchini with onions and seasoned with salt and pepper.

You can also shred it and put into ground beef for meatballs, shepherd's pie, or meatloaf.
You can shred it and put it into cakes.

Last edited by DefyGravity on Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:29 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I don't know if any of you realize, but the OP specifically asked for recipes OTHER THAN kugel.

During the summer, when our zucchini crop was out of control, I'd make roasted zucchini, cut lengthwise into strips, drizzled with olive oil and sea salt.

Zucchini
diced sauteed onion
celery
green olives
vinegar
sugar

My usual go-to is just stir fried zucchini with onions and seasoned with salt and pepper.

You can also shred it and put into ground beef for meatballs, shepherd's pie, or meatloaf.

Thanks for realizing that I didnt' want kugels. Sweet and sour zucchini sounds great! Is it a salad or a side dish? Do you stir fry this zucchini also?

nicole81

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:30 pm
not a side dish, but I make cinnamon zucchini cake from this site for dessert/saturday morning.

just search for zucchini cake... it uses only 3 though.

you can also make stuffed zucchini... scoop out the insides, mix with breadcrumbs, olive oil, and spices, and bake till ready. this is also really good with cheese on top.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:31 pm
It can be served hot or cold. Yes, you stir fry the zucchini as well. First sautee the onions and celery so they're soft, then add the zucchini. I can't remember where I got the exact recipe, but this is the best I can remember it.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:32 pm
Oh yeah, you can also make oven baked breaded zucchini - it's even more delicious if you fry it Smile

Or moussaka with zucchini instead of eggplant.

Tehilla

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:35 pm
Here's two things we do:

Sesame Zucchini Strips
(can be served hot or cold)

VERY lightly sautee zucchini strips in olive oil with salt, pepper, sesame oil, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. This recipe is light-tasting but yum. I'd like to tweak it a bit so if anyone has ideas please add to it! So far the guests have helped themselves to more though Smile .

----------------------------

Breaded Zucchini Coins

Cut into circles, dip in egg, dip in flour mixture, lightly fry.

Flour mixture is flour, salt, pepper, paprika, oregano.

I do all these lightly because we like it crunchy. These recipes were all developed in the spur of the moment necessity lol, so it's not exactly gourmet cooking. LOL

Tehilla

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:36 pm
nicole81 wrote:
not a side dish, but I make cinnamon zucchini cake from this site for dessert/saturday morning.

just search for zucchini cake... it uses only 3 though.

you can also make stuffed zucchini... scoop out the insides, mix with breadcrumbs, olive oil, and spices, and bake till ready. this is also really good with cheese on top.

Hey I posted that recipe!! Very Happy Glad you like it!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:36 pm
or ratatulle

Tehilla

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:39 pm
Also sometimes my MIL very sweetly brings tons of produce (thank you MIL!!). She'll get these bargains and bring like 10 huge zucchini.

Make it a Shabbos of zucchini.

Put some in your soup.
Make a side dish.
Make a cake.

LOL, next thing you know you've used it all up.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:56 pm
TriesToBePerfectMom wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

Zucchini
diced sauteed onion
celery
green olives
vinegar
sugar

Thanks for realizing that I didnt' want kugels. Sweet and sour zucchini sounds great! Is it a salad or a side dish? Do you stir fry this zucchini also?

How much sugar and vinegar do you put into this recipe? We have olives. This sounds like something my Israeli husband would like!

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:57 pm
I kept adding a little bit of each at a time until it had the flavor I wanted.

See my edit, I forgot that the recipe also has tomatoes. I think I usually leave out the celery.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:59 pm
Sorry if this is a dumb question, do you also saute the olives?

rydys

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 2:13 pm
we like roasted zucchini

cut lengthwise into slices 1/4 inch thick, leave the peel on
lay on cookie sheet and spray with olive oil spray
sprinkle with salt and pepper and garlic powder
bake 15 mins, then turn them over and repeat above

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 2:20 pm
TriesToBePerfectMom wrote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question, do you also saute the olives?

You saute everything. Onions first, then add the zucchini, then add everything else. If you use the celery, add it after the onions.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 2:27 pm
I love Italian zucchini (sauteed with onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes