Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
My sister's keeper - the movie & the book
1  2  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 5:03 pm
I just finished watching my sister's keeper. I also read the book. the book, even though it was very sad, was very good.
the movie was almost like the book but the ending was entirely different and I thought that because if that, it was terrible.

has anyone else read the book and seen the movie and thought the same thing?

Tova

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 5:11 pm
I read the book but have no plans on watching the movie. Can you please let me know (via PM if you don't want to spoil for anyone) how they ended it in the movie?

fiddle

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 5:12 pm
I dont remember the movie nor the book, but I remember thinking at the time that the movie while it was nicely done, did not do justice to the book.

workingmom3

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 5:32 pm
fiddle wrote:
I dont remember the movie nor the book, but I remember thinking at the time that the movie while it was nicely done, did not do justice to the book.

I always find the book better than the movie so have just stopped watching movies based on books that I have read. This book was excellent but heartbreakingly sad!

sruth1

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 5:42 pm
I was also upset that they changed the ending. This book and movie were particularly hard for me because as a child a had a brother who was sick and died of cancer. So regardless of the ending the book and movie were both extremely powerful but the movies ending was a little more believable, while the books ending had a stronger message.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 5:44 pm
sruth1 wrote:
I was also upset that they changed the ending. This book and movie were particularly hard for me because as a child a had a brother who was sick and died of cancer. So regardless of the ending the book and movie were both extremely powerful but the movies ending was a little more believable, while the books ending had a stronger message.
correct, I guess just because I knew how the author ended the book, it was a very big letdown to have the movie end sooooo differently.

workingmom3

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 7:06 pm
how did the movie end? please share or pm me if you dont want to ruin it for others who might watch the movie.TIA

sparkling

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 7:10 pm
I read and watched it..... the endings were differant... they were both amazing!! taught me a lot!!
I rocommend it to all of u

mother48

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 7:36 pm
I loved, loved the book!! don't know about the movie, but the book is highly recommended

skymile

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 8:21 pm
in the book- the younger sister (the keeper/donor) gets brain damaged due to a car accident. the lawyer wins her case of emancipaiton and gets POA (power of attorney). he decides to donate the kidney. the sick (older) sister lives and the younger one dies.

in the movie- the younger sis doesn't give the kidney and the older sister dies but it becomes clear that it was all planned by the older sis in order for her to be able to die in peace.

I have never read the book and thought the movie was absolutly amazing. what I wrote here is what I've heard from friends so I can't garantee it's 100% accurate but it is pretty much the gist of it.

sruth1

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 8:27 pm
luv2cook4eva wrote:
in the book- the younger sister (the keeper/donor) gets brain damaged due to a car accident. the lawyer wins her case of emancipaiton and gets POA (power of attorney). he decides to donate the kidney. the sick (older) sister lives and the younger one dies.

in the movie- the younger sis doesn't give the kidney and the older sister dies but it becomes clear that it was all planned by the older sis in order for her to be able to die in peace.

I have never read the book and thought the movie was absolutly amazing. what I wrote here is what I've heard from friends so I can't garantee it's 100% accurate but it is pretty much the gist of it.

In the book the girl only died after she won emancipation and I believe that it became apparent in the book also that the older sister did not want the kidney from her sister, but did take it after her sister died in the car accident.

pgk

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 8:37 pm
If you liked this book, try "Handle With Care" by the same author. I thought it was even better.

sruth1

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 8:44 pm
pgk wrote:
If you liked this book, try "Handle With Care" by the same author. I thought it was even better.

All of her books are amazainf, she also wrote eighteen minutes, also very powerful.

Tova

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 8:46 pm
Nineteen Minutes Wink

energy11

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 8:49 pm
All Jody Picoult's books are fantastic!!
I read about ten of them.

brbs

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 9:00 pm
I also didn't like the movie but for a different reason. I don't buy Cameron Diaz as a mom. I thought that role was very poorly chosen...

fmt4

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 9:01 pm
I thought the book had a very intriguing premise, and the ending was very powerful. However, I found parts of the book to be boring and not that well written.

I didn't see the movie, but Cameron Diaz in the main role doesn't sound very promising.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 9:24 pm
Plain Truth was my favorite of her books. There is a lifetime movie I saw on DVD (when I was still watching DVDs) and it was also not so wonderfully done, as it's only 2 hours for such a huge book, but Mariska Hargitay as the lawyer was pretty believable.

catonmylap

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 12:24 am
I liked the book better too, and was disappointed that the movie ended differently...

the movies was also so so slow....

Marion

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 12:54 am
The movie was just another sob-story (reminded me of A Walk to Remember). The book was fantastic. I felt very let down by the ending of the movie.

MamaBear, I didn't know there was film done on Plain Truth. Hmmm...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics