Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
My sister's keeper - the movie & the book
Previous  1  2

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 9:59 pm
it was a lifetime movie, I got it from netflix. I had a 1 month membership and couldnt think of a movie to watch, as Im not a movie watcher. so I took this. it wasnt a waste of 2 hours. I have a thing for Amish books. are there any other amish films?

cookielady

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 10:04 pm
I bought the book in the airport. It was so invovled in the book, I was sorprised when we landed. It was excellent.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 2:01 am
luv2cook4eva wrote:
in the book- the younger sister (the keeper/donor) gets brain damaged due to a car accident. the lawyer wins her case of emancipaiton and gets POA (power of attorney). he decides to donate the kidney. the sick (older) sister lives and the younger one dies.

in the movie- the younger sis doesn't give the kidney and the older sister dies but it becomes clear that it was all planned by the older sis in order for her to be able to die in peace.

I have never read the book and thought the movie was absolutly amazing. what I wrote here is what I've heard from friends so I can't garantee it's 100% accurate but it is pretty much the gist of it.
not exactly. in the book, the healthy sister ends up in a car accident and she ends up giving her kidney as she does not make it, she dies, so the sick sister gets the kidney in the end and the healthy sister is gone. it was a sad ending, but very powerful. the movie was very slow I thought and did not capture the book very well, although each character's own monologues I thought were great, it gave it a little bit more umph. but overall, books are usually better than movies.

and yes, I agree with mamabear, my favorite was also plain truth. I read that such a long time ago, before she became a big author.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics