Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Terrible diaper rash - which cream?
1  2  Next

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 9:56 pm
My DD has a terrible and painful diaper rash which really got bad today. It's been red the whole week but today got even worse. It's a rough elevated red marks on her bottom. A few open sores. I put mupirocin, miconozole, and nystatin on it. What would you recommend? Please answer ASAP!

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 10:01 pm
Maybe it's a yeast infection?

Marigold

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 10:03 pm
I've heard olive oil topped by corn starch works wonders.
I've been extremely successful with essention oils like melrose and lavender.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 10:04 pm
I would take her to the ped.!

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 10:05 pm
First of all, Lotimin is stronger than Nystatin. It's over the counter, the generic is Clotrimazole, it works wonders.

I invented my own method of treatment when dd used to get terrible yeast infections. (BTW, red dots means a yeast infection.) I would alternate- one diaper change Lotrimin, one diaper change bacitracin. Once that was rubbed in, I would put on a lot of A&D creme- the white one. The first cream fights the infection, the A&D protects the skin so it won't get worse.

Good luck.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 10:14 pm
Def take the baby to the ped.
I use Lotrimin 2x a day - only on the parts that need it. Triple paste on the rest of the area (and all over during the other diaper changes throughout the day). Everything sealed with corn starch.
I am sure that you are changing baby's diapers very often.
When babies have rashes, or are prone to rashes, the only diapers you should be using are Pampers Swaddlers and Cruisers. They are best at keeping the wetness away from the skin.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 10:26 pm
Thanks so much for all your replies. I'll try the Lotrmin and see how it works. Unfortunately my ped is out tomorrow due to the New Years. Yes I'm changing my 2 year old DD's diaper very often. She has been making a lot of dirty diapers lately. I just woke her up and changed it. I believe I have Lotrmin in the house and have heard of it but never knew it could be applied to diaper rashes.

pinkbubbles

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 3:15 am
If no creams help your DD it could be the actual diaper, try changing brands or getting organic diapers. My nieces had the same problem and my sisters have to use Earths Best diapers ONLY.
It could also be something you (if breastfeeding) or your DD is eating. In the case of DS he gets a bad rash when he eats eggs. It gets worse until hes not eating ANY eggs. It took me weeks to figure it out. Poor guy Sad

atlastamom

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 8:50 am
my ds gets the same. my ped gave me a "recipe" for a great cream, mix mupirocin (bactroban), nystatin, a little bit of olive oil, a little bit of mylanta, with a lot of balmex or desitin. apply that 2 times a day (at least). this really works. my ds is so sensitive. he always has diaper rashes like you describe and b"h this has really helped.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 9:21 am
I have found that different diaper creams work differently for different babies at different times and it's good to have a variety in the house. Overall though, for the absolute worst imaginable diaper rash, I have found that castor oil works better then any cream. That said, if this is a yeast rash and not a regular diaper rash, you will need something special, so take your baby to the doctor.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 9:25 am
I use green clay-rainbow green clay

it works wonders

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 9:41 am
I use Lotrimin if it's fungal, and mix on an anti-bacterial if I think it might not just be fungal, and seal it with aquaphor for a good moisture resistant/retaining coat.
I would not put on starch, especially on a girl.

Rivky

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 10:09 am
I used desitin. It worked wonders.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 10:29 am
Ask your ped for perscription for Nystatin Powder it really works great

MetroMom

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 11:36 am
I would definitely not go to a ped for this if it were for my child. I work in the nursing home business and I am extremely familiar with many stages of rashes. There are many excellent creams and ointments to use for this even if the skin is already broken. Balmex and Desitin are more like a shield. They allow the skin to heal itself while shielding the skin from future urine, etc... They're both excellent, but when you're at this point already you want to do something to heal the skin as well. I do in-services in nursing homes all the time and I teach them how to avoid rashes but also how to treat them if necessary.

*Apply Zinc Oxide Ointment on the rash in a thin layer throughout the day. (this is the main ingredient in most diaper rash creams) Zinc Oxide is gentle enough to prevent diaper rashes on healthy skin.
*If you can allow your baby to spend some time without a diaper that would be extremely beneficial! If you can, then after you change your baby, let him/her go 'bare bottom' for some time and then when you have to diaper him/her then apply more ointment at that time.
*If the rash is really bad like yours sounds then you should apply Hydrocortisone Cream 1% 2-3 times a day. Try to gently rub it into the rash as much as you can without irritating the skin. The rest of the day you can use zinc oxide. As soon as the skin is healed and not broken anymore, the color has returned to normal, etc, discontinue the hydrocortisone and switch back to only zinc oxide. Try to get the cream and not the ointment as the cream dries and allows the skin to breathe, but the ointment creates a true barrier and does not allow the skin to breathe. In order for the skin to heal it needs to breathe.
*Something else you can do to speed up the process or also to prevent rashes is after you clean your baby with wipes, you can use some water, either from a squirt bottle or with a soft washcloth, gauze pad, cotton balls, and then just pat dry with a dry towel. It's an extra step but it just takes 10 seconds and it really makes a tremendous difference. At least do it when there is a rash there already, if you won't incorporate it into you're daily changing routine.
*If your baby gets rashes often then apply Zinc Oxide or Petroleum Jelly during each diaper change.
*Also, word of advice, any time your baby goes on antibiotics, take extra precautions for rashes, as babies will be much more prone to rashes! I would use lots of Balmex BEFORE it's needed rather than after.
Some Don'ts:
*Make sure your wipes are alcohol-free.
*I read in an earlier post to put corn starch over the ointment, etc. I didn't even take notice of who wrote it, so no offense but it is my understanding that this is definitely the incorrect thing to do.
*Make sure not too close the diapers too tightly. It will limit the amount of airflow to the affected skin.

After seeing ADULTS with horrible diaper rashes on a regular basis, I was extremely an-al about my kids and bli ayin horah I followed these guideline and I can count on my fingers how often we got rashes b'h. We got out of diapers not too many years ago so I know how difficult it can be too add an extra step or too to the routine. But I also know that even one or two rashes saved makes it all worth it!!!

Good Luck! Refuah Shelaimah! Feel free to PM me if you need extra info. Good Shabbos...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 11:39 am
FWIW, Desitin Overnight has a higher percentage of zinc oxide than the plain zinc oxide I found in stores.
If it's not fungal or bacterial, I would use that with Aquaphor.

Tehilla

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 11:41 am
You totally don't have to rush to the doctor.

It sounds yeasty. I second the recommendations for using Clotrimazole. I usually smear that on generously, and change the diapers extra to avoid irritation. Once it starts to improve you can alternate with Balmex/Desitin type stuff also.

French Green Clay is amazing, as someone mentioned.

athomemom

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 11:53 am
I have the same problem with my baby. thanks guys for all the ideas

workingmom3

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
I use green clay-rainbow green clay

it works wonders

Was going to say this- works amazingly well and is great as a face mask as well!

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 12:05 pm
Girls - Thanks so much for all your advice. I tried the Lotrimin, and it is already much better! I didn't even bring her to the ped! What would I do without Imamother.com???? Have a great Shabbos all of you!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics