Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Please give me a source....segulah
Previous  1  2

entropy

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 2:55 am
Yes. but your answer to OP was wrong. It is not halacha to take challah in the 9th month.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 3:01 am
I didn't say it was. I said I didn't think it was a Segulah because it is Halacha to take Challah WHENEVER you make dough over a certain amount.

entropy

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 3:13 am
I don't understand how the existence of the halacha negates the segulah.

(Of course I agree with you there there is no segula in making bread for the purpose of receiving the reward of easy childbirth, I just don't follow your logic)

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 3:26 am
entropy wrote:
I don't understand how the existence of the halacha negates the segulah.

(Of course I agree with you there there is no segula in making bread for the purpose of receiving the reward of easy childbirth, I just don't follow your logic)

We do Mitzvot because we are obligated to do so. Hashem said do/don't do, we obey. Part of this relationship we have with Hashem is as long as we follow His rules, He will take care of us.

When a woman goes to the Mikvah in her 9th month as a segulah for an easy labor/delivery, it's a segulah because she is not Halachically obligated to do so.

Part of the 'points' a woman gets for going to the Mikvah when she is Niddah is Shalom Bayit. It's not an added Segulah, it's part of the Bracha of the Halacha.

(Again, I'm not saying that this IS how it is, this is all my own observation WRT Halachot vs Segulot.)

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 3:36 am
Let me phrase it a different way...

"I am doing Hafrshat Challah because Hashem commanded me to do so" = Mitzvah.

"I am doing Hafrashat Challah to ensure an easy delivery" =... well, to me it sounds an awful lot like Avodah Zarah.

entropy

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 4:03 am
Now you're talking my language Wink

The question is, do you think there is a difference between who is super careful about challa but seldom bakes more than a kilo vs. the woman who takes every opportunity to make 2.5 kilo batches to maximise her brachos?

Compare: what if I stop nursing now in order to reap an extra "al hatvila"?

Marion

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 4:08 am
Entropy, a better comparison:

What if I stop nursing now so I can start going to mikvah again and get an extra "al hatvila".

I never bake more than a kilo, but because I'm in my 9th month I'll davka make sure I "overbake" and use at least 2.5kg.

entropy

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 4:10 am
Marion, aren't we making the same comparison?

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 4:28 am
entropy wrote:
Now you're talking my language Wink

The question is, do you think there is a difference between who is super careful about challa but seldom bakes more than a kilo vs. the woman who takes every opportunity to make 2.5 kilo batches to maximise her brachos?

Compare: what if I stop nursing now in order to reap an extra "al hatvila"?

When I bake my Challot, I will make the 2.5 kilo of flour batch, which means I bake every other week. I do it in order to do Hafrashat Challah. I figure as long as I'm already baking, I might as well get a Mitzvah out of it.

I don't see how stopping to nurse so I get my period so I can go to the Mikvah compares. If I'm nursing and getting my period that's another thing.

entropy

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 4:35 am
YESHASettler wrote:
If I'm nursing and getting my period that's another thing.

Again I don't follow the logic. I meant taking action in order to invoke the need to go to the mikveh, when you have the option of keeping TH without doing so.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 4:42 am
The Mitzvah isn't 'I must have my period', it's if you get it then do XYZ.

Do you go out of your way to buy Shmitta produce to fulfill the various Mitzvot tied to Shmitta?

Why don't all women wear Tzitzit?

Why do we buy already Kashered poultry and meat rather than Kasher it ourselves?

entropy

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 6:21 am
Right I agree with you. (I'm just confused about the last sentence I quoted about nursing during period)

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 5:58 pm
I don't think it's a segulah, but rather an inyan. There are many women who don't bake challos at all, or especially when highly pregnant, as it gets to be too difficult. It is an inyan to do it at least once during the 9th month. Doesn't negate halacha.

cubbie

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 1:35 am
I was told to take challah at least once a month throughout the whole pregnancy.

penguin

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 4:59 pm
Quote:
IMO, because a Segulah is not an obligation whereas a Mitzvah is, I don't think it is logical to place added 'Segula status' to a Mitzvah...

Well, doing the mitzvah of shiluach hakan is known to be a segulah, and you certainly have to go out of your way to do it nowadays.

I think (don't have energy to look up the parsha now) it's next to the mitzvah of making a ma'akeh on your roof & Chazal say one who does the mitzvah of shiluach hakan will be zocheh to build a house. From there I suppose came the idea that it's a segulah for children to fill up the house. I can look for sources later if anyone cares.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions