Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Rochester, NY
1  2  Next

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 12:10 pm
Is anyone familiar with Rochester, NY? What is available kosher there? I know there's no restaurants, but is there a kosher bakery? If not, are pas yisroel bakery products available to purchase any place there? What about cholov yisroel (milk as well as cheese, yogurt, etc.). Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

hello

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 12:30 pm
try shamesh.com they should give you all kosher places there. I was actually there 2 summers ago there were 2 or 3 places that sold kosher products, I don't remember any names but you can check on the site I gave you.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 12:37 pm
Thanks. I know about shamesh.com but have found to be sure the places exist and are under hashgocha as listed you need to call to be sure. I was looking for someone who might know the current information.

Lefty

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 12:38 pm
What's there to do in Rochester?? Never heard anyone vacatoining there.

hello

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 12:43 pm
I'll find out for you exactly where we ate (good thing I keep a journal)

hello

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 12:45 pm
Jewish Home of Rochester Cafeteria we ate here its a home but the food is not bad. (if you want you can contact the local Rabbi & find out exactly whats kosher on the shamash list).

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 12:58 pm
Lefty wrote:

Family simcha.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 1:05 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Lefty wrote:

Family simcha.

I think niagara falls is not too far away if you are in the area.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 1:08 pm
Raisin wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
Lefty wrote:

Family simcha.

I think niagara falls is not too far away if you are in the area.

You're right, but we won't be doing touring -- just need to deal with the food for the time we'll (large group and don't want to put the baalei simcha out to do more than they already need to do) be there.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 1:10 pm
you should call the chabad shluchim there, since they will be familiar with what pas yisrael and chalav yisrael foods are available.

Enjoy the simcha!

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 1:13 pm
Raisin wrote:
you should call the chabad shluchim there, since they will be familiar with what pas yisrael and chalav yisrael foods are available.

Enjoy the simcha!

Thank you. I know I can call them and others (there is also a Chofetz Chaim Yeshiva there I can call).

I am just asking if anyone here already knows the basic information before I need to make further inquiries.

pobody's nerfect

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 1:46 pm
I live in rochester and can help you with anything you need.

we do have one kosher pizza shop, open sun-thurs. there is a great selection of food and it is all very good quality.

the bakery here is not under reliable supervision and most of the frum community will not eat there. same for the butcher shop, though we all do get packaged food there. they sell cholov yisrael cheese, but I'm not sure about yogurt or milk. they also have packaged meats, some bread and cookies, and frozen foods. as well, the local Wegmans grocery store and Tops grocery store both have fairly nice kosher sections.

if you want any other info, feel free to ask or PM me!

p.s.- who are your relatives who are having the simcha?

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 1:49 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:

we do have one kosher pizza shop, open sun-thurs. there is a great selection of food and it is all very good quality.

the bakery here is not under reliable supervision and most of the frum community will not eat there. same for the butcher shop, though we all do get packaged food there. they sell cholov yisrael cheese, but I'm not sure about yogurt or milk. they also have packaged meats, some bread and cookies, and frozen foods. as well, the local Wegmans grocery store and Tops grocery store both have fairly nice kosher sections.

if they don't normally stock it, ask the store to bring in some cy milk for you.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 2:53 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:

Thanks for your help. I'm not ready (at least yeat) to say who my relatives there are as I've been trying to stay anonymous here (I'd have even posted anonymously if I could have in this section) since I've posted some sensitive things.

Is the pizza shop you refer to to one in Chabad?

Where do you buy bread from -- the butcher, Wegman's or someplace else? Is it pas yisroel? And is it readily available or needs to be ordered? Where is the best place (and most reliable selection) for packaged deli (Empire is fine) and cholov yisroel cheese?

Also, do you know anything about the Strathellen Hotel? It was recommended as the closest place for us to stay (not dealing with Shabbos), but reviews on the web for most of the place (other than 2 floors that have been rehabbed) are pretty awful. It seems hard to find hotels not too far from the frum neighborhood that have connecting rooms (we have some large families with a lot of small kids to house).

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 2:54 pm
Raisin wrote:

if they don't normally stock it, ask the store to bring in some cy milk for you.

I have been told I can order it through Chabad.

pobody's nerfect

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 3:13 pm
Thanks for your help. I'm not ready (at least yeat) to say who my relatives there are as I've been trying to stay anonymous here (I'd have even posted anonymously if I could have in this section) since I've posted some sensitive things.

Is the pizza shop you refer to to one in Chabad?

Where do you buy bread from -- the butcher, Wegman's or someplace else? Is it pas yisroel? And is it readily available or needs to be ordered? Where is the best place (and most reliable selection) for packaged deli (Empire is fine) and cholov yisroel cheese?

Also, do you know anything about the Strathellen Hotel? It was recommended as the closest place for us to stay (not dealing with Shabbos), but reviews on the web for most of the place (other than 2 floors that have been rehabbed) are pretty awful. It seems hard to find hotels not too far from the frum neighborhood that have connecting rooms (we have some large families with a lot of small kids to house).[/quote]

a- eh, there aren't simchas here too often. who knows, I may just meet you at the simcha! I'm the one with the really adorable baby Smile

b- yes, the pizza shop is in the Chabad house. it is only a few months old, and is a real pizza shop and cafe (run by someone non-chabad who just rents the property), as opposed to the once-a-week pizza that Chabad used to have.

c- we use non-pas yisroel bread, available at every supermarket. I know that both Wegmans and Lipmans (the butcher) carry Zomicks challah and rolls. Wegmans carries a full selection of Empire meats, but I'm not sure if their cheese is cholov yisroel. (I'm not makpid, so I don't pay attention if it's millers or whatever.) My husband says that Lipmans used to carry cholov yisroel milk, but he isn't sure if they still do. I live in the building next to it and need some things anyhow, so if I'm brave enough to go out in this weather I'll check and let you know!

I don't know anything about hotels... sorry.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 7:57 pm
Thank you so much pobody's nerfect, I really wanted to hear the story from someone who knows first hand.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 10:17 pm
My BFF lives in Rochester.
She is less than thrilled but tolerating it well.
She did mention it is COLD.
Not cold as in "wear a scraf and hat... it's nippy out today."
I'm talking eyes- tearing- and -freezing- on -your -cheeks type of cold.

Bring layers and bundle up!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:29 am
hello wrote:
Jewish Home of Rochester Cafeteria we ate here its a home but the food is not bad. (if you want you can contact the local Rabbi & find out exactly whats kosher on the shamash list).
Speak to the local rav about eating there; it's not somewhere everyone will eat at.

realeez

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:36 am
They just recently opened a small restaurant I believe in the Chabad house there. I have relatives there who I will ask. They have a fabulous children's museum there too! FTR, Niagara Falls is like 1-1.5 hours away. It's a small community but the people there are really nice.

ETA: I see that Pobody's Nerfect (love your name Wink ) posted abt the restaurant in the Chabad House. Sorry for missing that! I wonder if I met you when I went to Rochester - I was at little get together there of ladies reading Tziporah Heller's book and discussing it!

Last edited by realeez on Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics