Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Scam?

rainbow

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 6:12 pm
Is this the latest scam? I received this email from 'yahoo department'

GRANTS/PRIZE AWARD DEPTREF:YAHOO7/315116127/27
BATCH:15/623/UK.

We happily announce That the draw (#568) of Yahoo Online Lottery Raffle Draw. Your e-mail address attached to ticket number: 883734657492-5319 which subsequently won you the Yahoo Financial Promotions cash Prize. You have therefore been approved to claim a total sum of Ј1,000,000(One Million Great Britain Pounds Sterling) in cash credited to file KTU/9023118308/03. To file for your claims, please contact our claims director Mr.Nicholas Brown who is incharge of the claims office in UK. Contact him for the claims of your One Million United Kingdom Pounds. You are to contact the claims officer with his office email address provided in the below details:

Mr.Nicholas brown
REMITTANCE DIRECTOR YAHOO PROMOTIONS.
UK44 Moorfields London
EC2Y 9AL United Kingdom
Email: n_brown2200@hotmail.com

VERIFICATION FORM.
(Fill and send to the Claims agent).
FULL NAMES*
CONTACT ADDRESS*
COUNTRY*
relations*
AGE*
MARITAL STATUS*
OCCUPATION*
NATIONALITY*
TELEPHONE NUMBER*
EMAIL ADDRESS*

HAVE YOU A PASSPORT OR LICENCE (identification on delivery)*

Once again on behalf of all our staff, CONGRATULATIONS!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Yours Sincerely,
Mr Donald Dunn,
Online Promotions Manager,
Uk Administrative Unit.
New Year Winning Notification.

3Qts

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 6:21 pm
Yes!!! I get such emails at least once a day!!
Today I got this new one!

Hi,

I write this with tears in his eyes, I came here to London, England for a short vacation and I was robbed at gunpoint last night in the park of the hotel where I stayed all cash, credit cards and cell phones were stolen from me.

I am still here because of the hotel, the hotel manager will not let me leave until they paid hotel bills out.So now I'm scared I have limited access to emails for now, please I need to borrow a little money for me to arrange return and now I am full of panic, the police just asked me to write a statement about the incident and directed me to the embassy, talked to the embassy here, but are not responding to the issue effectively, I return the money to you as soon as I get home, I'm so confused right Now.I not injured because they comply immediately.

I'll be waiting to hear from you since I can not access the Internet forever....

Best regards.

happy chick

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 6:22 pm
sounds like a scam. no one gives away a million buck for nothing. I would be wary

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 6:24 pm
those things have been going around for years. never respond to one of those.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 6:27 pm
3Qts wrote:
Yes!!! I get such emails at least once a day!!
Today I got this new one!

Hi,

I write this with tears in his eyes, I came here to London, England for a short vacation and I was robbed at gunpoint last night in the park of the hotel where I stayed all cash, credit cards and cell phones were stolen from me.

I am still here because of the hotel, the hotel manager will not let me leave until they paid hotel bills out.So now I'm scared I have limited access to emails for now, please I need to borrow a little money for me to arrange return and now I am full of panic, the police just asked me to write a statement about the incident and directed me to the embassy, talked to the embassy here, but are not responding to the issue effectively, I return the money to you as soon as I get home, I'm so confused right Now.I not injured because they comply immediately.

I'll be waiting to hear from you since I can not access the Internet forever....

Best regards.

Someone in Nigeria hacked into an old email account of my husband's. They sent out a nearly identical email to his entire contact list. He has a buddy in tech & computers and they were able to track the ISP & location.

He was locked out of his own email...B"H no one fell for it.

rainbow

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 6:36 pm

Last edited by rainbow on Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total

chatz

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 6:40 pm
If you google it, a bunch of anti scam sites pop up.

Like they say, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 7:35 pm
I assume so

Mini Cookie

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:09 pm
yup according to snopes "real scam which can cost the victim between $300-$2000"
they also talk about the Nigerian scam there, Tehilla
click here to read more

Tehilla

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:14 pm
Mollys Mama, this wasn't the Nigerian scam, which I have seen versions in my email. This was a person in Nigeria who stole/hacked my husband's email and then sent an email falsely "from my husband" stating that he was in the UK, had been mugged, and needed money to get home.

First off, chas v'shalom to all that nonsense--ya know B"H it wasn't true. But people DID respond to the email since they knew my husband but asked for more details.

As I said previously, B"H no one fell for it and my husband was able to work with his tech friend to recover access to the email and send out a second email saying the previous was fake...

Mini Cookie

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:19 pm
shock oy! I had someone on my contact list with a similar story recently! That's scaaaary!

Tehilla

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:23 pm
Yeah, my husband was really upset.

PAMOM

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:39 pm
YES--this is a scam. And do NOt call anyone back who leaves a hone number about a lottery prize--there are [one numbers that will cost you 1000's of $ for a few minutes if you call (also a scam). And more: computer programs used by scammers are now good enough that your emails can be scanned and a Jewish name (Shloime, Yakov, and Yoni are 3 that I recently got) will be used in the subject heading sometimes to drw you in.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 8:43 pm
It's scramming scam!

susan11230

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 2:26 pm
of course a scam never reply Emailes that ask you for your personal info or bank acount
Or emails saying like, Dear Madam I am the son of king Babuta , My father died a few month ago and left me 40 million dollars in my bank account I cannot keep this bank account beacuse his second wife my step mother wants to claim it as her own, I need your help so that you should put the money in your bank account for me I will give you half of the amount , please send me your bank account route number and account number so that I can put the funds into your account as soon as possible. Some stupid people full for it and send thier bank account number only to find thier bank account empty out the following day.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 2:41 pm
This thread is from 2010. OP has probably figured out the truth by now.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 3:37 pm
I'm just wondering who out there in email land seems to think that I need a "bigger p*nis". shock

I get those emails in my spam folder at least 3 or 4 times a week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics