Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Looking for someone that gives haircuts for toddlers

hardworkingmommy

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 2:21 pm
My almost 2 year has hardly any hair on her head & it doesn't look like its growing. I was told by a few ppl. to cut it which it will make her hair grow more, so I’m looking for someone that's experienced in working with children that will give what ever hair she has a small trim in Boro Park/ Flatbush area. Any recommendations?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 2:24 pm
Mini Mode on 16th Avenue

(I have a similar issue with dd and though I thought I would go to someone to have her hair trimmed, I now do it myself once a month to try to stimulate the growth.

hardworkingmommy

Post Sat, Jan 09 2010, 11:19 pm
Ra_mom is there someone specific you use at mini mode?
Do I have to make an apt. or can I just walk in?
Thanks!

BinahYeteirah

Post Sat, Jan 09 2010, 11:24 pm
I hate to be discouraging, but isn't it a myth that cutting the hair makes it grow more or thicker? It's not as if the hair follicle knows that the hair growing out of it has been cut.

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 09 2010, 11:31 pm
I've heard if you shave the entire head it will grow in thicker ... unless it's a myth

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 09 2010, 11:44 pm
hardworkingmommy, I don't know who to recommend at Mini Mode since I decided to cut dd's hair myself. But I know people who used Mini Mode.

BinahYeteirah, it's a myth that cutting the hair makes it grow thicker. (Mom used to take me to have my hair cut every 2 months and my hair didn't end up all that thick.)
But it's not a myth that the more you cut, the quicker it grows. Dd's hair grows much quicker now that I started trimming the ends every month or so.

greenfire, about shaving: the hair definately becomes thicker if you shave. Do you shave your legs? Smile

BinahYeteirah

Post Sat, Jan 09 2010, 11:46 pm
It is my understanding that it is a myth. It just seems thicker, because the blunt ends of the hair look thicker than the naturally tapered ends of hair that has been growing for a while without cutting. Hair often seems thicker after a trim, too.

Maybe a haircut will help the hair look better, though, so continue with the discussion!

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 12:03 am
My previous post was in response to Greenfire.

I think both the thicker and faster ideas are myths. First, how could it be? How can cutting the hair affect the hair follicle? Second, it only looks like it is growing faster/thicker, even on legs. When the hair is allowed to grow without shaving the hair looks thinner (and often actually gets lighter), because the hair naturally tapers and lightens as it is exposed to friction and light. On the other hand, recently shaved hair looks thicker due to the blunt ends. It also appears to grow faster. As hair gets longer, weak parts break off and growth is less noticeable. Cutting hair removes more damaged parts and can make longer lengths easier to achieve by maintaining the condition of the hair. The hair itself, however, does not actually grow faster after a cut. On legs, individual hair do not usually grow past a certain length. They fall out after a time and new ones grow in, so after the maximum overall length is reached, it appears as if the hair is not growing at all. The hair actually growing at the same rate as recently shaved hair does, it simply appears static because individual hairs go though their growing cycle at different times, giving the whole leg a uniform look. If the leg were shaved you would only see the hairs in an actively growing part of the cycle, leading you to think that the hair is growing faster.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 12:07 am
BinahYeteirah, even nails grow quicker and become stronger/thicker the more you cut them. My nails can attest to that. (As can my cuticles. Sad I have to trim them so often now, because I used to get manicures regularly. Sad)

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 12:14 am
Okay, if you say so. LOL Personally, I find regular nail trims help nails stay in better condition so that they look better and not break off, but I never noticed that they actually grow faster.

4ofus

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 3:18 pm
BinahYeteirah wrote:
It is my understanding that it is a myth. It just seems thicker, because the blunt ends of the hair look thicker than the naturally tapered ends of hair that has been growing for a while without cutting. Hair often seems thicker after a trim, too.

Maybe a haircut will help the hair look better, though, so continue with the discussion!

You are completely correct. I went to beauty school and that is what I was taught.

4ofus

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 3:20 pm
I cut my 2 year old daughters hair and cut hair and wigs all the time in my house. If you'd like, I can cut your daughters hair. I'm located in Flatbush.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries