Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Peeled onions, eggs, garlic
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Esther23

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 5:11 am
Yes I definitely have heard of it, you may not leave a cut up onion overnight without the root attached because the gemarah says it's a sakanah.

[color=olive][I]threads were merged[/I][/color]

mirah2

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 11:41 am
Resurrecting this thread...

Out of interest, those of you who do know/keep by this sakanah (of not leaving peeled eggs, onions, garlic overnight) are BT's/gerim? Of those who are FFB's, what is your background in terms of Sephardi/Litvish/Hassidish and/or geographic origin (e.g. Polish, Hungarian etc.)?

Background to question - I learnt about this as part of my gerut from an Artscrollish guide to kashrut. I no longer bother with it because it isn't my in-law's minhag to do so - in fact, my FFB husband had never heard about it until I mentioned it (and my Rav FIL is now looking up sources because of a dispute in his kehilla over how the gefilte fish for the community have historically been prepared). So I'm just wondering how much of the 'spread' of this minhag is to do with the way that BT's/gerim are taught about kashrut, rather than families actually following their own minhagim...

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 12:16 pm
Scary enough, I am a BT who found out randomly because I was on a flight and my kosher food said that it did not have over night egg issues. So, I asked a MO Rav at my college what it was and he had no idea. The Chabad Rabbi on Campus did and couldn't believe that the other Rav did not. I don't know if that helps or not.

I have found that many, many people don't know about this sakana.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 12:36 pm
Didi wrote:
Now you all got me confussed. My husband will cut an onion in half use half of it or even slice it put it in a baggie in the fridge is that against Halacha????

not if you cut it in half from top to bottom as in half the root stays ...

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 12:38 pm
Yael wrote:
the uncovered water thing only applies if you will drink the water, right?
I know someone who covers their negel vasser overnight, the reason was like RG said it would be mekabel tumah. so this would be unnecessary?

& hopefully nobody will get thirsty enough to drink their negel vasser ... Drunken Smile

luppamom

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 12:41 pm
I heard of this growing up. Don't remember how or where. Maybe it was my mother? Remembering it mostly about onions but the other stuff makes sense. I asked my rav about it (litvish) and he said I can't use it. I have heard what Greenfire said and I also have heard that its OK mixed w/ s/t, but both of these not from a reliable source.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 1:16 pm
I'm an ffb, I learned it from my mom who learned it from her Hungarian mom.
I'm shocked at the poster who said her rabbi never heard of it.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 1:16 pm
We have Polish and Hungarian background.
We leave the root on the onion so that if anything is leftover, the root is still attached.
Raw eggs, chopped onions or garlic that need to be refrigerated overnight are either drizzled with oil or sprinkled with salt before being put in the fridge.
When we buy commecial food we are not machmir.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 1:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We have Polish and Hungarian background.
We leave the root on the onion so that if anything is leftover, the root is still attached.
Raw eggs, chopped onions or garlic that need to be refrigerated overnight are either drizzled with oil or sprinkled with salt before being put in the fridge.
When we buy commecial food we are not machmir.

Same here. Polish and Hungarian, and this is exactly what we do.

DH is FFB Hungarian, I'm BT Polish/German.

bandcm

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 1:37 pm
I was taught this by my mother, although I should be more on top of it in my kitchen.
I am always amused at the people who say, when they hear of a minhag/halocha/chumra in kashrus, "I asked my husband and he never heard of it." Why should your husband have ever heard of it? Unless he spent lots of time in the kitchen as a teenager on a regular basis helping his mother, or he is a practicing rav, when would men ever have learned these details?
Why are people so sure that men know all halochos better than women? Men don't learn halocha for all those years in yeshiva, you know, they learn gemora. And if they have come across this obscure gemora quoted at the beginning of the thread, why would it have stuck in their head along with the thousands of other bits of information and stories in the gemora?
Same with hilchos Shabbos, by the way.

Tweedy

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 10:47 pm
Esther23 wrote:
Yes I definitely have heard of it, you may not leave a cut up onion overnight without the root attached because the gemarah says it's a sakanah.

threads were merged

Only overnight? I thought even if you had a salad in the morning let's say , and then you want to use the other half for coking later on in the day ?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 7:35 am
seems to me some BTs (and some FFBs, but maybe more BTs?) will take the machmir stand as opposed to the relax one, like FFB will put some oil or leave some root etc to avoid the problem

mirah2

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 2:58 pm
bandcm wrote:
I was taught this by my mother, although I should be more on top of it in my kitchen.
I am always amused at the people who say, when they hear of a minhag/halocha/chumra in kashrus, "I asked my husband and he never heard of it." Why should your husband have ever heard of it? Unless he spent lots of time in the kitchen as a teenager on a regular basis helping his mother, or he is a practicing rav, when would men ever have learned these details?
Why are people so sure that men know all halochos better than women? Men don't learn halocha for all those years in yeshiva, you know, they learn gemora. And if they have come across this obscure gemora quoted at the beginning of the thread, why would it have stuck in their head along with the thousands of other bits of information and stories in the gemora?
Same with hilchos Shabbos, by the way.

I did say my FIL is a Rav (for the record, he has also been a mashgiach). My MIL also never heard of it. Anyone who has obtained a smicha worth its name would have learnt the practical halachot of hilchos kashrut/shabbat, so to me the fact that you have at least two Rabbis saying they never heard of this says something about its status as a chumra/sakana*

Incidentally FIL's family is Mitnagdish Hungarian and MIL's family is Polish/Litvish. So doesn't look like a geographic thing necessarily...

*Footnote - my FIL did more research on this (as I mentioned, it has become an issue in his local kehilla). The gemara this sakana is based on is a small comment by R' Shimon bar Yochai, and only mentions onions/garlic and NOT eggs. Neither the Shulchan Aruch or the Rema mention this sakana at all (unlike the one with meat/fish), neither do any major Rishonim he checked. The first mention he could find of this was with the Ba'al haTanya (Chabad) and the Arutz HaShulchan (for some reason preferred by Anglo communities over the Mishna Brurah). So, not universal!
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen