Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Splenda Packets vs. big bag

Chava Golar

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 2:46 pm
My husband asked me to ask whether anyone knows why the Splenda in the packets is sweeter then the big bag. Any ideas?

BLUEROSE

Post Thu, Jan 14 2010, 3:46 pm
Thats funny. my husband says the same thing.

oodlesofnoodles

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 7:35 am
You made me curious so I did some research-
Splenda packets and loose Splenda have different sweetening power. The loose Splenda (in the big bag) is less sweet than the packets and can be measured in exactly the same way as sugar. So, if you have a recipe that calls for 1/3 C of sugar, you can substitute 1/3 C of loose Splenda for the sugar. However, you can't substitute Splenda packets in exactly the same way, because each Splenda packet has the equivalent sweetening power of 2 tsps of sugar, even though the powder in the packet doesn't equal 2tsps (they add more sucralose to the bulking agents in the packets to make it sweeter). If you read the tiny writing on the back of the packet, it does say 1 packet=2 tsps sugar.

sky

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 8:07 am
that is very interesting because we buy both. I just started putting the splenda in its own dispenser to cut down on buying the packets - but dh has only been using 1 tsp, but normally uses 1 packet. I wonder if he notices a diff.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 9:09 am
So interesting!
I usually buy the packets because they are cheaper. If you are saying that the packets are sweeter than the loose form, it still makes the packets cheaper - as you will use up less splenda to sweeten things than when using the loose ones.

Thank you for informing us about this!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics