Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Yerushalmi Kugel
1  2  3  Next

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 12:23 pm
I haven't made yerushalmi kugel part of my repertoire because although I've made it twice, and I can't say it failed, it wasn't super either. Does anybody have a recipe for yerushalmi kugel which gives measurements for the seasoning, and it comes out peppery (not sweet) and dark brown?

In other words, does anybody have a recipe for the real thing?

and another thing, the purple Lub. cookbook has a recipe for 12 oz. of noodles and 6 eggs, another cookbook I have says 14 oz. noodles and 3 eggs! It's so different (I think these are the two that I tried)! What are the best proportions?

zuncompany

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 12:32 pm
motek- I make two different ones. The one in Kosher by design. It is sweet and Zu likes it better. And I make an adapted version from the purple book. I use the same number of eggs, oil, noodles, and sugar. However I put in a whole ton more pepper and I don't follow their directions. I boil the noodles, than dump them in a bowl. While still hot I add the sugar and oil (I use olive oil cause Zu is allergic to other oils). Than pepper (a whole ton of it... never measure though. sorry!). When it has cooled down some I add in the eggs. Throw it in a pan, in the over uncovered. I let it cook until it is as dark as I want it. My Israeli friends love it and always want more.

sara

rydys

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 5:53 pm
I make the one in the Lub cookbook. the color depends on how long you cook the sugar before adding the noodles. I usually put in 1-1.5 tablespoons of pepper, but you really have to experiment to your taste.

Tefila

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 7:14 pm

This is my favourite recipe for sure!!

Tila

Post Mon, Jan 31 2005, 1:17 pm
I also make the super easy recipe in Kosher by design!! If you do not have the cook book please say so and I will post it!! This is a great cook book to have!

Tila

Post Thu, Jun 16 2005, 12:10 pm
This is a big hit with my kids and any guests. It is so easy to make! DO NOT COOK THE NOODLES BEFORE!!! Follow recipe exactly the first time and make changes if you wish the next time around!

4 1/2 cups of water
1 tsp of pepper (no less)
2 tsp of salt
1/4 lb of parve marg
3 tbsp of oil (corn)
1 cup of brown sugar
16 oz of fine egg noodles
2 eggs, beaten

in a large pot mix together water, pepper, salt , marg, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Turn heat off. IMMEDIATELY add noodles stir to moisten cover with lid let stand at LEAST 10 mins. Sir noodles again. Add about 1/4 cup to eggs and mix vigoursly add to main pot and mix quickly to combine. Puor into a greased 9 x 13 pyrex pan bake for 50 mins if you intend to reheat for shabbat. Recipe says 1hour.

tzivi

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 6:44 am
Thankyou, Tila!
This recipe is so easy and yum!! Very Happy

Tila

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 11:54 am
I love it, and my kids cannot get enough of it!! I am so glad it is a hit! LOL

tzivi

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 11:56 am
My husband and kids LOVE Yerushalymi Kugel. This recipe just saved me heaps of time, because I didn't have to pre-cook the lockshen... and it was just yum!! Very Happy Thanks again!

buba123

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 12:20 pm
A very similiar one is in Kosher By Design.

RivkaS

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 1:25 pm
this is the first yerushalmi kugel recepie that sounds so easy that I might try it... do you believe it I NEVER MADE IT.... but I can buy it easily and guess where... in yerushalayim *big grin*

ohbaby!

Post Fri, Sep 08 2006, 1:16 pm
Anyone that made Tila's yerushalmi kugel... could u help me out here? im not sure if the water that u boil and add the lokshen after, do you drain all that water? do u keep the water to bake? isnt it too much water?im in middle of making it- and im stuck here!!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 08 2006, 1:26 pm
has anyone had a fire when they carmelize the sugar, or is it just me..........

mom1/2dz

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 12:22 pm
Question

willow

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 12:25 pm
yes

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 1:20 pm
I do it all the time.

Annie

Post Fri, Sep 22 2006, 1:03 am
yep, just make sure it's cooled off (so it won't sweat and get frost), and then put it in a ziploc or cover the tin with foil.

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 9:22 pm
another freezing question to you balabustas:

can I freeze a sweet potato pie (in crust)? I made it for R"H but never got around to serving it...
:arrow:

mom1/2dz

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 10:40 am
Smile Yes-I know someone who does it all the time, and I just made 2 for RH and froze one for future use. I probably would put straight into the oven from freezer as opposed to thawing out first b/c I would think it would get soggy that way.

tzatza

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 4:31 pm
My husband really loves this one. I made it for RSH, but wasn't really happy with it. Any good recipe ideas for it? Thanks
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes