Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Yerushalmi Kugel
Previous  1  2  3  Next

TammyTammy

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 1:37 pm
tzatza wrote:
My husband really loves this one. I made it for RSH, but wasn't really happy with it. Any good recipe ideas for it? Thanks

Page 214 of Susie Fishbein's book has a wonderful Yerushalmi Kugel recipe that I make all the time. My family loves it.

Tammy

faigie

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 2:34 pm
tammy which book, or can you please post the recipe? ive tried so many of them, but ive yet to get one with a great balance of salt sugar and pepper.

TammyTammy

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 2:45 pm
faigie wrote:
tammy which book, or can you please post the recipe? ive tried so many of them, but ive yet to get one with a great balance of salt sugar and pepper.

Kosher By Design: Picture Perfect Food for the Holidays and Every Day.

I'm not keen on posting a recipe from a book that I paid for, as it may constitute a copyright violation. But it's a good kugel. Buy or borrow the book, if you can.

Tammy

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 3:15 pm
if it's any consolation, it's not an easy kugel to make....I would concentrate on what I make well. and eat that at simchas or kiddushim.

shlumzmum

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 3:26 pm
can u please post the recipe as I dont have these recipe books, would love to make it for yom tov

greentiger

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 3:30 pm
I was just told about a syrup that you can buy to make an easy yeru kugel.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 3:33 pm
called?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 3:58 pm
TammyTammy wrote:
Page 214 of Susie Fishbein's book has a wonderful Yerushalmi Kugel recipe that I make all the time. My family loves it.Tammy

How do you caramelize the sugar without making a fire?

greentiger

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 12:26 am
I'm really not sure. My friend just told me about it and said she's rarely seen it besides in her supermarket.

Anyone else heard of this syrup?

tzatza

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 5:58 am
Tammy, I am not sure that typing up a recipe on the forum will constitute the copyright violation. anyhow, it's just MVHO. I would love to see that recipe though...(wink wink)

spinkles

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 6:08 pm
It hasn't come out for me in the past. Thought I'd try again tonight. Can someone tell me exactly what color the sugar/oil mixture should be before I pour it into the lukshen? I have over-caramelized and under-caramelized in previous attempts....

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 6:25 pm
I have questions too, when I've tried it, the carmelized sugar hardened into pieces, as I mixed it into the lukshen. How do you get that right?

any Yerushalayim experts to the rescue? Help

Chani

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 6:38 pm
I always put on medium heat and stir constantly just until all of the sugar is completely melted. Also, you want your noodles to still be hot when you pour the sugar/oil mixture over them.

SingALong

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 6:49 pm
I saute onions in sugar till sugar is melted. then I add it to noddles and mix in eggs, salt nd pepper. is this the way to do it? I know my DH likes it this way so that's how I do it

spinkles

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 7:01 pm
Quote:
stir constantly just until all of the sugar is completely melted.

Should it bubble at all? I've heard conflicting views on this.

Quote:
I saute onions in sugar till sugar is melted. then I add it to noddles and mix in eggs, salt nd pepper. is this the way to do it? I know my DH likes it this way so that's how I do it

Doesn't sound like Yerushalmi kugel, but does sound yum!

yikes!

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 7:53 pm
fabulous recipe:

2 packs lukshen (for kugel)
2 cups sugar
2/3 cups oil
12 eggs
2 T salt (flat)
1 T Black pepper (flat)
2/3 cups sugar (again)

10 x 16 pan

caramelize sugar in oil
boil water add lukshen
drain lukshen.. caramelized sugar MAKE SURE LUKSHEN IS VERY HOT SINCE YOU DON'T WANT THE SUGAR TO GET LUMPY ALL OVER
add rest of ingredients
350 covered for like 1 hr and 15 min then uncovered for like 20 more minutes

Momof2kiddies

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 8:48 pm
I was so bothered by the fact that I just couldn't seem to master yerushalmi kugel. I figured I would try 1 last time. I put the sugar and oil in a pot on a medium flame and after 1/2 hour it changed colors slightly but not to anything productive. I was so fed up so I decided to cover the pot and turn up the flame. I figured I might as well. Well...it worked! I never read to do this anywhere but I tried it again and it worked again. This time, I mixed them and kept it on a medium flame for a few minutes and mixed a couple of times. Then I turned it up, covered it and stood there (it goes fast) while mixing a couple of times until it was bubbling and a dark brown color. your noodles need to be warm when u mix it in and u need to do it immediately or it will turn to caramel. good luck! sorry it's lengthy!

Purplehair

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 9:05 pm
My DH uses an extremely easy recipe from Susie Fishbein's Kosher by Design.
It always comes out fabulous when he makes it (I've never tried).

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 9:13 pm
Can the kugel be fried? My oven doesn't work. (miriam nechama, now that your new oven has arrived, mine has quit. LOL ) and since all the keilim are fleishig, I'd rather not bake it in the parve oven.

Squash

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 9:34 pm
here is THE easiest (one pot) recipe for yerushalmi kugels that gets rave reviews from my true blue yerushalmi cousin every time (I got it from my mil):

3/4 c. oil
1 c sugar

brown this on med/low flame till really dark but not burned. remove from flame.

add in

6 of the 7 oz cups water (I know, weird measurement, but that's how my mil gave it to me) and bring to a boil

1 (10 oz) package thin lokshen
salt and pepper to taste (depending on how spicey you like it)
cook till water gets absorbed
then add:

2 eggs beaten with a fork

mix the mixture with the eggs and put into 9X13 pan

bake at 350 for 1 hour.

this is a pretty fail proof recipe.

enjoy.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes