Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Yerushalmi Kugel
Previous  1  2  3

sammy

Post Fri, Jan 04 2008, 12:45 am
after the sugar turns brown, do u let it cool off before adding the water? I tried a recipe like this, and when I added the water, it splattered and cooled down the sugar , turning it into hard pieces of candy.

Squash

Post Fri, Jan 04 2008, 10:16 am
of course it cools down the sugar mixture and it turns a little hard. but then when it starts boiling the sugar melts again.

faigie

Post Fri, Jan 04 2008, 12:37 pm
msycms, you just throw your onions into the sugar/oil combo and start to cook it all together as the sugar/ oil combo melts and browns?
my thing is, I NEVER get the right amount of salt and pepper in my recipe, for 1pkg of thin noodles.
I feel like a neb, I have got to get this right.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 04 2008, 3:33 pm
The Imamother Quick Yerushalmi Kugel
with thanks to those that participated

4 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup oil
1/4 tsp pepper
pkge of very thin noodles, 12 oz

Boil and then add your noodles. Let sit for about 10 minutes to become soft. Bake in deep 9 by 13 pan at 350 deg. until brown, about an hour.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:25 am
greentiger wrote:
I was just told about a syrup that you can buy to make an easy yeru kugel.

It is (or was?) called Kal Kugel, comes in a small plastic bottle.
Basically caramelised sugar syrup, but not sweet.

NOW, I've just used up the last bottle I bought in Israel (this thing lasts forever,
doesn't need refrigeration). My local kosher shop used to carry it but no more.
Called SIL in EY, she can't find it either.

Has anyone seen this product (or something similar) sold recently?
I'm so scared of burning myself/pots cooking sugar and oil...

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 3:00 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
The Imamother Quick Yerushalmi Kugel
with thanks to those that participated

4 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup oil
1/4 tsp pepper
pkge of very thin noodles, 12 oz

Boil and then add your noodles. Let sit for about 10 minutes to become soft. Bake in deep 9 by 13 pan at 350 deg. until brown, about an hour.
Does this recipe call for sugar? How could it be yerushalmi kugel without sugar? Confused

MimiMommy

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 12:38 pm
Tila wrote:
This is a big hit with my kids and any guests. It is so easy to make! DO NOT COOK THE NOODLES BEFORE!!! Follow recipe exactly the first time and make changes if you wish the next time around!

4 1/2 cups of water
1 tsp of pepper (no less)
2 tsp of salt
1/4 lb of parve marg
3 tbsp of oil (corn)
1 cup of brown sugar
16 oz of fine egg noodles
2 eggs, beaten

in a large pot mix together water, pepper, salt , marg, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Turn heat off. IMMEDIATELY add noodles stir to moisten cover with lid let stand at LEAST 10 mins. Sir noodles again. Add about 1/4 cup to eggs and mix vigoursly add to main pot and mix quickly to combine. Puor into a greased 9 x 13 pyrex pan bake for 50 mins if you intend to reheat for shabbat. Recipe says 1hour.

Made this recipe this past Shabbos, came out GREAT!! Easy and all in one pot, loved it.

kesher

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 1:51 pm
MiniMommy: when do you add the oil?

Mevater

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 11:56 am
Tila wrote:
This is a big hit with my kids and any guests. It is so easy to make! DO NOT COOK THE NOODLES BEFORE!!! Follow recipe exactly the first time and make changes if you wish the next time around!

4 1/2 cups of water
1 tsp of pepper (no less)
2 tsp of salt
1/4 lb of parve marg
3 tbsp of oil (corn)
1 cup of brown sugar
16 oz of fine egg noodles
2 eggs, beaten

in a large pot mix together water, pepper, salt , marg, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Turn heat off. IMMEDIATELY add noodles stir to moisten cover with lid let stand at LEAST 10 mins. Sir noodles again. Add about 1/4 cup to eggs and mix vigoursly add to main pot and mix quickly to combine. Puor into a greased 9 x 13 pyrex pan bake for 50 mins if you intend to reheat for shabbat. Recipe says 1hour.

I used at least 1 1/2 bags of 10 oz noodles and the kugel seems very low in a 9 X 13. How high is everyone else's?

Rene:)

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:27 pm
Momof2kiddies wrote:
I was so bothered by the fact that I just couldn't seem to master yerushalmi kugel. I figured I would try 1 last time. I put the sugar and oil in a pot on a medium flame and after 1/2 hour it changed colors slightly but not to anything productive. I was so fed up so I decided to cover the pot and turn up the flame. I figured I might as well. Well...it worked! I never read to do this anywhere but I tried it again and it worked again. This time, I mixed them and kept it on a medium flame for a few minutes and mixed a couple of times. Then I turned it up, covered it and stood there (it goes fast) while mixing a couple of times until it was bubbling and a dark brown color. your noodles need to be warm when u mix it in and u need to do it immediately or it will turn to caramel. good luck! sorry it's lengthy!

Wow thank you so much! tried like five times and my sugar wasn't carmelizing. It would melt somewhat and then I would see clumps... eventually I would just pour it into noodles and it tasted okay... but didn't have the rich brown color and taste of authentic yerushalmi kugel. Tried your trick of covering pot and raising flame...and it worked!
sugar carmelized in minutes. Thank you for that tip!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes