Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Replacing car key with a chip

shluchamom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:05 am
We bought our car secondhand and they only had one key but now we would like to have another copy. I called the dealer as the key has a chip and needs to be programmed and they want bet 160 -200 dollars for that. (dep on exact year make and model how much it costs) does anyone here have a cheaper way to suggest. I cant just make a copy as that will open the door but wont start the ignition.

any suggestions would be appreciated

Fabulous

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:13 am
call a locksmith. They may be able to do it cheaper (they program keys as well).

faigyl

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:15 am
we lost our keys to our car and didnt want to pay that much money. My husband bought it for our camry on ebay and then found really easy instructions online for how to program it. Took him 5 min and cost us $10

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:20 am
Fabulous wrote:
call a locksmith. They may be able to do it cheaper (they program keys as well).

No, AIUI, they wouldn't be able to duplicate the chip, or the laser cut keys. (This is based on what we were told by our dealer.) My guess is that they only other thing you could do would be to replace all the locks and the ignition, and that would be a LOT more money.

We were also told that its substantially less expensive to duplicate the valet key, or, presumably to create one in the first place. That wouldn't have the electronics to open the doors, etc (you'd need to do that by hand).

bobeli

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 12:16 pm
call a locksmith for sure. But ask the price for all options before.
Depending on the car is the programing and price.
My neighbor is one and he does it. he made a copy of our car to move it if he needs the driveway.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 2:13 pm
my son know how to do it ... oh the fun the fun in changing around a key to work the way you want it too ...

you can buy a key at a junk yard for cheap and take the innards and rig them up to your car ... or some such thing - dunno exactly since he did it for his car ... now instead of dif keys he rigged the trunk to the doors and all is set ... beep beep ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries