Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Cheesecake with Israeli cheeses?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 4:42 pm
chocolate moose
Quote:
DAIRY NO BAKE TRIANGLE CHEESECAKE - Sounds like more work than it
actually is, from Beis Rivka's afterschool program
1 package tea biscuits, twin pack if possible, with light and dark,
otherwise just use one kind
1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup wine combined in cup
For filling:
3/4 cup Farmer's or ricotta cheese
2 oz (1/2 stick) margarine or butter, softened
1 whole egg
1 pkge vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla
sugar, to taste, approx 1/4 cup
Take 15 light tea biscuits and dip into liquid for just an instant.
Lay next to each other in five rows, three biscuits across, on foil.
By hand, mix cheese filling ingredients until smooth. Spread less
than half the filling over light biscuits. Take fifteen dark
biscuits, dip again, and lay out in same position. Spread rest of
filling on top and pick up foil, making the top meet to form a
triangle. Pinch to keep shape and freeze for an hour to set. Glaze
with melted chocolate chips and pour over frozen cheesecake. Cut
into 1/2 inch slices to serve. You can also keep this cake in the
freezer from week to week.

this sounds pretty easy but what cheese can we use? or does anyone have a diff, easy, good recipe for israeli cheeses?
tia

Raisin

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 5:44 pm
Just try soft white cheese and see if it works. I only have a type of cheese (from England) called medium fat soft cheese and I use that instead of cream cheese in all recipes and it works fine.

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 1:29 am
Quote:
Four cream cheese/ I use tenuva products
Four whip cream/ milk ones not for cooking though

cream cheese? do you mean actual cream cheese or the sour cream (gvina levana?)? bec the only real cream cheese I've seen is a french type (I think its french), comes in a little container with picts of flowers on it.

whip cream- what type is not for cooking? whats it called? what brand? (sorry, I've never bought whip cream before so I'm asking a lot of questions).

shalhevet

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 1:53 am
Sour cream is called shamenet chamutza 15%. It comes in containers like leben (200cc). The Eida Chareidis one is called shamnit. You can't whip it up. There is also something called shamenet shel pa'am which is the same, only with a much higher fat content.

Whipping cream comes in little cartons and is called shamenet metuka 32%. I think the Tenuva one is pink or red. I wasn't able to find eida, only va'adat mehadrin.

Marion

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 1:53 am
Gvina levana is NOT sour cream! It is basically the equivalent of softened cream cheese. I use the 0.5% one in my cheesecake. Sour cream is "shamenent chamutza", and comes in 9/15/23%.

mimivan

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 1:54 am
The only cream cheese I've seen in Israel is Tofutti (health food store, expensive) and at a few bagel places. If I were making cheescake this year (which I'm not--we bought one) I would use a blend of tofutti and buy cream cheese from the bagel place (expensive, but worth in in my opionion!)

Hey, if they can sell cream cheese in bagel places, why can't they sell it in supermarkets!

Mishie

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 2:11 am
Have any of you tried: גבינת טוב טעם?

What kind of consistency does it have? (it says on the pkg: גבינה חצי קשה, but I'm not sure if it's like a thick cream-cheese or closer to a hard cheese....)

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 2:41 am
supermom wrote:
Four cream cheese/ I use tenuva products

whats it called in hebrew? how much is 4 cream cheese?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 2:41 am
I use the 5% gvinah levanah for my cheesecakes and it comes out EXCELLENT. I also sometimes use the 9% since the higher fat content makes it moister... more moist...

For lasagnes I use 5% cottage cheese when I make it with spinach mixed in or 9% when I leave the spinach out.

Napoleon is the Israeli cream cheese and it's very good.

And yes, the company Gad makes a decent ricotta.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 2:42 am
Someone mentioned making cream cheese from Gvinah Levanah, using cheesecloth... I've been looking for cheesecloth and haven't had any luck... where can you get?

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 2:43 am
Quote:

so I use four containers of this?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 2:47 am
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
Quote:

so I use four containers of this?

You can, but it's on average 3NIS to 4NIS more expensive than Gvinah Levanah (and I'm not sure what level of hechsher it has or what level you use).

Most cheesecake recipes call for you to blend the cream cheese and it often ends up with a Gvinah Levanah-like consistancy anyway... save the money or buy blueberry pie filling to pour on top of it instead :)

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 3:00 am
so maybe half gvina levana and half cream cheese? which just leaves me to figure out exactly how much is 4 containers?

supermom

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 4:39 am
I use the tenuva company compared to Tara gevinah levanah.
As for the cheesecloth I don't use cheesecloth to make my cream cheese I use a pillow case. It works out just fine.
As for the measurements I just measure the amount that I need in a cup. I bought eight sour creams and need to put them up so I can have them ready by tommorrow afternoon. (they need to be up for at least twenty four hours.)

suomynona

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 5:00 am
Mishie wrote:
Have any of you tried: גבינת טוב טעם?

What kind of consistency does it have? (it says on the pkg: גבינה חצי קשה, but I'm not sure if it's like a thick cream-cheese or closer to a hard cheese....)

Tuv Taam is farmer cheese. I used that in blintzes (back in the days when I had time to make blintzes Smile )

I didn't read through this whole thread but why is everyone trying to make cheesecake out of American type cream cheese when it's so hard to get here. My cheesecake recipe I posted in this thread last year that uses gvina levana is sooo easy and so good. If you make it with prepared crust it takes a few minutes to put together.

Kmelion, I originally heard to make cream cheese out of gvina levana, but then a few people told me it's shamenet, not gvina levana. Haven't tried it though.

shalhevet

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 6:30 am
bump - see previous page for recipes

frayda

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 6:48 am
Does anyone know where I can find Mehadrin heavy cream here (not sweetened)? All I ever see is the whipping cream.

Inspired

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 7:28 am
frayda wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find Mehadrin heavy cream here (not sweetened)? All I ever see is the whipping cream.

The brand is something chef and the picture has broccoli in it. It comes in a juice box size carton.

Seraph

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 7:34 am
frayda wrote:
I found in the shuk and they also have at rami levi. Its called shamenet libishul, I think.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 7:49 am
Thanks for bumping this up, Shalhevet.
Both your and Mali's cakes look worthwhile to me. (meaning - they match the ingredients I have...)
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus