Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
When words are abused and misused........
1  2  Next

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 5:27 pm
B'h
I have come across both in the spoken and written words, and have been found guilty too of doing it......
abusing a word.

How many times have we heard (to name a few) words like

hate and love .

Bad and good

Tzadeikes

Rasha Gamur

that it has lost it's true meaning and value Confused

Apple pie

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 5:34 pm
The word "abuse" is often abused...

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 5:49 pm
Apple pie wrote:
The word "abuse" is often abused...

LOL And "its" and "it's" are often mixed up.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 6:13 pm
I do not agree that using the word "love" liberally means abusing and misusing it.

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 6:18 pm
Gimme a break. On seeing someone once, twice , forming a friendship in a real short span frame not tested how can we end up as a lot of people do saying love you. Do we honestly love that person? or is it just semantics!

Now seriously I heard once and it made me ponder this. When we say we love a particular food do we truly or is it that we love ourselves ????!

Last edited by Tefila on Sun, Jan 24 2010, 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 6:19 pm
I do.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 6:46 pm
I LOVE YOU, TEFILA !!!

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 6:48 pm
Obviously when we love a food it is an appetitive love.

Our love for other people is complex and involves friendship, compassion, attraction, and many other components.

But only we know. It is as impossible for you to imagine what I feel as it is for me to imagine what you feel.

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 6:49 pm
Chocolate moose it's reciprocal then Twisted Evil Love, shmuve what does it mean anyways, cmon ladies are u 4 real Tongue Out

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 6:53 pm
Oh for heaven's sake.

Okay, YOU can use the word "love" in the situations that you find it appropriate.

But you cannot tell ANOTHER person "you don't REALLY love so-and-so, you're misusing the word." That's shockingly arrogant.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 7:00 pm
I'm real,all right.

I'm not really a moose made of of chocolate though - sorry to disappoint you.

athomemom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 7:13 pm
I FEEL BADLY (=your sense of touch is physically impaired)
you almost always mean- I feel bad. (=you feel guilty after screwing up)

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 7:19 pm
I hate when the word "slutty" is used to describe a woman's style of clothing that one thinks is immodest.

I love to love foods that I love! There's no way anybody could convince me that I don't love red wine, or pasta, or chocolate...Call it gluttonous love or material love, or whatever type of love you want to call it, but love it is.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 8:37 pm
You could argue that you love to eat and drink these things, but believe me, if you really loved chocolate, you definitely wouldn't eat it up, any more than you would eat your kids.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 11:46 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
You could argue that you love to eat and drink these things, but believe me, if you really loved chocolate, you definitely wouldn't eat it up, any more than you would eat your kids.

It's a different type of love, but it's love alright.
You could love your mother, your husband, your child and you wouldn't do the same things with all three of them. You could love food too.

Tefila

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 2:33 am
B'h
I heard that when we say that we love food essentialy we are saying we love ourselves. If we really loved ie. chicken we would not be eating it and have compasssion for the chicken etc. Anyways as far as people are concerned I guess you can love someone without knowning them choc moose I stand corrected I guess Confused

This is what someone sent me what do you think?

A group of professional people posed this question to a group of four through eight year olds, "What does love mean?" The answers they got were broader and deeper than anyone could have imagined. See what you think:

"Love is that first feeling you feel before all the bad stuff gets in the way."

"When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn’t bend over and paint her toenails anymore. So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That’s love."

"When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You know that your name is safe in their mouth."

"Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your french fries without making them give you any of theirs."

"Love is when someone hurts you. And you get so mad but you don’t yell at them because you know it would hurt their feelings."

"Love is what makes you smile when you’re tired."

"Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK."

"If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate." Idea

"When you tell someone something bad about yourself and you’re scared they won’t love you anymore. But then you get surprised because not only do they still love you, they love you even more."

"There are two kinds of love: Our love and God’s love. But God makes both kinds of them."

"Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it everyday."

"Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well."

"During my piano recital, I was on a stage and scared. I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling. He was the only one doing that. I wasn’t scared anymore."

"My mommy loves me more than anybody. You don’t see anyone else kissing me to sleep at night."

"Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day."

"I let my big sister pick on me because my Mom says she only picks on me because she loves me. So I pick on my baby sister because I love her."

""You really shouldn’t say ‘I love you’ unless you mean it.

joy613

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 4:14 am
Tefila wrote:
B'h
I heard that when we say that we love food essentialy we are saying we love ourselves. If we really loved ie. chicken we would not be eating it and have compasssion for the chicken etc.

I have heard this so many times and it's not true. When I say I love pizza, I am NOT saying I love myself so I want to eat pizza. I am saying that I love the taste of pizza. When people use the word love for things (I.e. I love food, I love baseball, I love your shoes, etc) they mean to say they like it very much. If I would say " I really really like pizza" would that be better? So just because I used 'love' which is pretty much the same as "like very very much", does not mean I love myself.

I have a question for you Tefila. I'm really curious. Did you never tell someone " I love your outfit, shoes, sheitel, etc." ?

bubby

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 5:59 am
Hashem loves me wrote:
Tefila wrote:
B'h
I heard that when we say that we love food essentialy we are saying we love ourselves. If we really loved ie. chicken we would not be eating it and have compasssion for the chicken etc.

I have heard this so many times and it's not true. When I say I love pizza, I am NOT saying I love myself so I want to eat pizza. I am saying that I love the taste of pizza. When people use the word love for things (I.e. I love food, I love baseball, I love your shoes, etc) they mean to say they like it very much. If I would say " I really really like pizza" would that be better? So just because I used 'love' which is pretty much the same as "like very very much", does not mean I love myself.

I have a question for you Tefila. I'm really curious. Did you never tell someone " I love your outfit, shoes, sheitel, etc." ?

Oooh, I would NEVER say that! Too tacky. I always say, "Tefila, you are the epitome of sartorial elegance."

Far classier, don't you agree?

Tefila

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 8:16 pm
B'h
Quote:

Yes but does that mean it is correct

Anyways who said I was holier then thou I am talking to myself too ya know Twisted Evil

WriterMom

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 8:24 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I LOVE YOU, TEFILA !!!

I love chocolate mousse! (And chocolate moose is cool, too.)

I can see both sides of it. On the one hand, when people describe chocolate as "to die for" or "sinful," it does kind of desensitize us to things that are actually worth dying for (not edible, generally) or that there are things that are truly sinful (and it gets just a tad worse than self-indulgent desserts.)

On the other hand, the vast majority of adults can guess from context whether you mean you literally love or hate brussels sprouts, or you're just expressing a strong preference. Interestingly (to me, anyway) we have a family friend with Aspergers who has a lot of trouble with this.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics