Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
3 days of high fever - HELP!

amother

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 12:13 pm
B"H my kids have been pretty healthy overall, so though I am not a new mom, I have never experienced anything like this and could use some advice.

I have 1 1/2 yr old twins and they are both sick, running high fevers (103-104) pretty consistently since Friday night. The fevers will go down as low as maybe 101 for a short while after a dose of motrin (the tylenol doesn't even seem to help at all) but quickly goes back up again.

I took them to the ER over the weekend and they both have ear infections. They both are on antibiotic now. They were tested for flu and for rsv. Both negative.

I was advised by ER doc and regular ped to just keep giving the motrin and tylenol, continue antibiotic and only bring them back to ER if they get fever of 105 or higher or if they stop wet diapers. So far the fevers have not gone any higher then 104 and they are drinking nicely, even though they wont eat much. So I guess that's all good.

But I have never had a child run a fever this high for more then a few hours, let alone for several days in a row. Please if anyone has gone through this with their children, I would feel better knowing that this is sometimes normal. And also, what more can I do to make them comfortable. They are so (understandably) miserable.

I also want to add that I tend to shy away from giving antibiotics right away or giving tylenol or motrin for a fever, but being that they are so, so sick and so feverish, I felt this was the right path this time. But I am open to any "alternative" supplements or treatments. These poor kids are suffering and I am so worried. Never have any of my children been so sick before.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 1:01 pm
Seriously, none of you mothers have anything to say to me that might be in the least bit helpful?

supermama2

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 1:05 pm
In the past, I've had experiences like yours and just when I was about to really panic the fever broke on day four. I would see how they do tomorrow and keep the meds going as the Dr. prescribed.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 3:17 pm
Thank you for your reply SarahO. I am glad to know this is not unheard of. And I really hope day #4 will look much better for us.

When I spoke to the ped today his comment was "yeah, this really is a long time to be running such high fevers" as if it really is not the norm. And yet he didn't feel another ER visit was warranted. So I feel like I'm in limbo here and wondering what else to do at this point. DH thinks we should take them back to the ER and I am thinking it may be worth the trip. I'd like them to have a blood workup and I know we will get results fast there, not like going to a lab and waiting days.

supermama2

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 3:46 pm
Refuah shliema to your toddlers. G-d willing the fever will break sometime tomorrow.

shemesh

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 3:50 pm
if they are still having high fever with antibiotics, its probably a virus, those could give fever for a few days.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 4:31 pm
my twins have that every so often. I actually just had it at the same time as them last week.

Keep them hydrated, pedialite and pedialite ice pops are a childs best friend. Try to bundle them in layers and blankets so that they get really sweaty and break their fever. Otherwise, call the dr again and insist that blood work is done.

Good luck and feel us posted!

Marigold

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 7:03 pm
When my daughter had very high fever for a few days she tested positive for a uti (urine infection.)
I don't know what the chances are that both of them have it but if the fever doesn't let up in the next few days maybe you should check it out.
(thinking as I type that maybe the antibiotic will take care of it.)

amother

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 7:08 pm
We are just back from ER. Doctor also thinks virus; one twin has white spots in back of throat which seem to indicate so. Ears still infected, but not so bad anymore. They got motrin at hospital and perked up after a short while so I spoke to the nurse about dosing. Seems I've been under-dosing the kids. I gave correct amount indicated for age and weight of infant motrin and tylenol which I thought was appropriate until 2 yrs. But nurse said move them up to children's and the dose is a little higher and seems to help them better. Anyhow, doctor says wait 48 hours more and if no real improvement then more testing - xrays and catheter. IY"H it wont come to that.

amother wrote:
my twins have that every so often. I actually just had it at the same time as them last week.

Keep them hydrated, pedialite and pedialite ice pops are a childs best friend. Try to bundle them in layers and blankets so that they get really sweaty and break their fever. Otherwise, call the dr again and insist that blood work is done.

Good luck and feel us posted!

See, I always thought this is what to do too. I remember as a child my mother kept me very warm in blankets. But once when another DC had a high fever I bundled him up and when I spoke to the doctor later he said that I did the wrong thing. That I should have stripped him down and made the room cold to bring the fever down. I spoke to a few doctors about this since then and most seem to agree - though a couple are still old school and go for the bundling up. How do I know who to listen to?

micki

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 8:47 pm
those are high fevers. if you think there is something wrong, act on your instinct.
son't wait for the docs.
if whatever is casueing the fever is bacterial, it should go down after 48 hours.
if it is viral, then it coud take longer.
some kids are prone to high fevers- my oldest has gotten twice a virus that casued her to have 104 - 105 fevers for 6 days.
that was no fun, but there was nothing to to do.

as to dressign, my rule is, light cotton pj's, that can absorb the sweat.
keep a cool washcloth on the forehead.
do not overdress becasue the fever can just spike higher, casueing more problems.
I wouldn't keep the room cooler than normal, but I would not keep ithem in a sauna either.
how long has it been since they started the fevers?
how long since the antibiotics?
refua shelima
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics