Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Color of my potatoe kugel??
Previous  1  2

new-here

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 7:22 pm
I'm surprised nobody has written this tip yet. Pour a cup of boiling hot water to the potato kugel mixture and you will see your mixture turn white on contact. The hot oil helps too.
Also, it could be you are baking it on a too low temp - I bake mine on 500 for an hour

Motheroftwins

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 8:48 pm
I had the same problem, with my potato kugel turning grey as it bakes. I make my potato kugel by soaking the potatos in water before I grate them, and I put my oil in the oven to heat up so I knew abt that already.

After checking around on this site, I found a way to make it white. Here is what I did----

1. Put oil in pan, stick in oven at 425.
2. Fill bowl with ice and water. Add a little lemon juice.
3. Peel potatos and drop them into water bowl.
4. Get remaining ingredients ready - eggs, salt, pepper, flour and peel the onion.
5. Grate in the food processor in the following order: onion, potato, onion, potato. Then add in eggs.
6. Pour potato mixture into bowl and add salt, pepper and flour. mix completely.
7. Take hot oil out of oven - CAREFULLY, and pour into kugel mixture. Mix fast and return to pan.
8. Bake at 425 for approx 1 hr. until golen brown.

Once the potatos are out of the water, you have to move fast, but I found the combination of the lemon juice in the water and alternating potatos and onions when I grate helped A LOT!

pomegranate

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:54 pm
is your oven turned on the highest temp. from a few minutes before? I preheat the oven before.

Reality

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 11:17 pm
I quarter the potatoes & keep them under cold water like pp said BUT I also am very careful to wash out the food processor between each use. The little bits that are left inside can cause the whole potato kugel to turn grey.

Mommish

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 11:21 pm
Add a pinch of cream of tartar. I started doing this for latkes, but I'm sure it would work for kugel too.

almy-mommy

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 11:25 pm
I read someplace, (can't remeber where) that putting in a drop of vitamin C in the kugel will keep it white. Since than my kugel is beautifully white!!!

reachout

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 11:51 pm
faithohave wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has written this tip yet. Pour a cup of boiling hot water to the potato kugel mixture and you will see your mixture turn white on contact. The hot oil helps too.
Also, it could be you are baking it on a too low temp - I bake mine on 500 for an hour

You are right. I either put boiling water or seltzer on the grated potatoes. I mix the eggs in aftewards.

melavemalka

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 11:08 am
Best trick I learnt from my MIL is to put the potatoes in boiling water for just under 10 mins and then grate them after. Its genius. No more moldy greying....!

Actually, even greater trick she has passed onto me is putting soggy yucky lettuce leaves in a bowl of water in the fridge over night, and the next day they'll be fresh and crunchy and rigid. Osmosis. Genius.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 3:55 pm
you're all making it sound like rocket science ... I don't do any of the above - and my kugels are not grey - but they are grrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaatttt!!!

are you leaving the potatoe batter sitting out for a long period of time ... just grate and bake/fry right away ...

Ronit

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 8:13 pm
greenfire wrote:
you're all making it sound like rocket science ... I don't do any of the above - and my kugels are not grey - but they are grrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaatttt!!!

are you leaving the potatoe batter sitting out for a long period of time ... just grate and bake/fry right away ...

LOL

btw yes potato kugel & challah are like rocket science.

Levtov

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 10:16 pm
almy-mommy wrote:
I read someplace, (can't remeber where) that putting in a drop of vitamin C in the kugel will keep it white. Since than my kugel is beautifully white!!!
Tried and tested: a little vitamin c powder on the tip of a teaspoon to about 10 potatoes works wonders. You get a snow white kugel every time. A bottle of vit. c powder lasts for years. It adds no taste. Try it , you'll like it!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes