Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nursing school
1  2  Next

challi

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 1:40 am
I know that there was a thread on nursing school/ nursing as a profession a while back but I can't remember where or what it was about. I types nursing into the search but what do yah know came up with like a million different threads about nursing babies ( not exactly what I was looking for)

I have some questions and would love to talk or get in touch with someone who had been there done that or is doing it now.

Thanks!

MommyZ

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 2:01 am
I am doing my nursing pre-reqs now. and am hoping to apply to nursing school next spring.

lost

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 2:06 am
I'm in NYC. I'm B"H finishing in May, and don't let anyone fool you- there aren't any Nursing jobs out there! At least not in hospitals in NY. Queens hospitals have a hiring freeze. Plus, three hospitals closed down so now all the other once have an influx of experienced nurses. If you want to go into visiting nursing- it's a growing field and they have a lot of job offerings.

As far as schooling goes, it's much harder then I expected. Please make sure you don't go to the one I'm in, PM for the name, it's very NOT Jew friendly, very overpriced, and has a 70% drop rate.

Hope this helps.

chavamom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 2:07 am
Always available.

MommyZ

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 2:08 am
lost wrote:
I'm in NYC. I'm B"H finishing in May, and don't let anyone fool you- there aren't any Nursing jobs out there! At least not in hospitals in NY. Queens hospitals have a hiring freeze. Plus, three hospitals closed down so now all the other once have an influx of experienced nurses. If you want to go into visiting nursing- it's a growing field and they have a lot of job offerings.

As far as schooling goes, it's much harder then I expected. Please make sure you don't go to the one I'm in, PM for the name, it's very NOT Jew friendly, very overpriced, and has a 70% drop rate.

Hope this helps.

Is it NYU? Just curious b/c my sil went there and was unhappy with her experience. Does the hiring freeze apply in Manhattan and the Bronx as well?

challi

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 2:09 am
I'm in my pre-nursing courses still. Hoping to apply to clinicals next spring IYH.

lost, if you're in NY then I'm not at your school.

I'm so nervous that after I finish the pre-req's I won't get into the clinicals. Then what would I do???

chavamom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 2:09 am
lost wrote:

Hope this helps.

I guess it depends on where you live - we still have plenty of nursing jobs available here and I did not find nursing school to be harder than expected. Nursing was my second career, second go 'round in college. I went to school with 4 small children and pregnant with a 5th. Logistics were my biggest issue, not subject matter.

chavamom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 2:10 am
challi wrote:
I'm so nervous that after I finish the pre-req's I won't get into the clinicals. Then what would I do???

Isn't there usually a waiting list? (Sorry, I didn't go to a school that had such an arrangement).

challi

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 2:18 am
I have to finish my pre-req's then apply for the nursing major (which is the clinicals nothing else).

Its a competitive school and they said that for every spot there are 2 students who don't get in or are wait listed. There are min GPA's (pre req GPA, General GPA, and sciences GPA) they require but anywhere under a 3.2 they probably wont even look at me.

chavamom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 2:24 am
are there no other schools you can apply to? Here at least I know there are some schools that are less competitive and take more students. For example, the community college, ironically, is hard to get into b/c it's very inexpensive while being a quality program. Also, one of the university programs has a reputation that you practically have to have a 4.0 to get into clinicals. But there are plenty of other schools that will take "second tier" students - those with a 3.0, for example. Keep in mind that no matter what program you finish, once you graduate and pass NCLEX, they call you RN.

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 2:34 am
I am starting nursing school this February, it was a 1 - 1 1/2 year wait list.

I am scared, because another frum woman was in last semester and she flunked out. The grading scale is harder also.
A = 93 - 100
B = 83 - 92
C = 73 - 82

You have to pass with a C or your out. There is an entrance exam for most programs now too, both inside and outside NY. My medical terms class, I got a 96 on my final exam, but all my other exams were an average of 86, so I still ended up with a B!

When I lived out east I got into Touro, only to discover that at that time they were not nationally certified. Which is fine if you only want your associates degree, but makes it difficult if you ever decide to go on for your bachelors or masters. Carefully research programs. When I went to apply for a bachelors program I was told point blank that if I donot have a 4.0 do not even apply! I have a 3.7! So I am doing my associates degree at a community college, which is an RN and then applying to an RN to BSN program which only requires a 2.7!

I have heard left and right that there are no jobs for new nurses! It's very scary, so I am volunteering at a local hospital that I would like to work at. To gain connections for once I am done.

chavamom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 2:42 am
Mitzvahmom - I get calls about coming to your state to work as a "traveler" all the time. What's this about there being no jobs?

challi

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 2:55 am
Mitzvah mom my school has the same grading scale. its tough.

lost

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 3:48 am
chavamom. are you in NY?

I started school with 7 other frum women and they all failed out. Non married. non had kids. The schooling is hard and they count on people failing out which makes it harder. From the last graduating class my school had, not a single person got a job in a hospital. I don't understand why they keep advertising that Nursing is such a great profession, it is if you love the job itself, it's not if you want A job NOW.

I'm not in NYU, but I know NYU has an easier program then my school.

As far as an associate degree rather then a baccelors- I say go for it. I know most hospitals prefer the associate degree nurses since they have more clinical experience. And the classes you need to complete your baccelors you can do on line.
Acceptance into nursing school is incredibly competitive and will only get more so since as big of a nursing shortage as there is out there, the nursing teacher shortage is much bigger. It will only get worse since a lot of the teachers are retiring and no one in their right mind would want to go into teaching. HUGE pay cut.

chavamom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 10:29 am
I am not in NY. But neither is Mitzvahmom and I get job offers where she lives all the time. I recently got a travel offer in Lakewood. Maybe it's only NYC? Or in NYC they only want experienced nurses? I'm curious what gives too.

a1mom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 1:11 pm
I went to nursing school in nyc had a great experience and have been working for a year and a liitle bit. It was very hard to find a job especially as a shomer shabbos person. there are no jobs for new grads in ny- I didnt try the city, just brooklyn queens and LI because it was far for me to travel but it took me 7 months of intense job hunting to land a job and I wasnt that picky. I would have taken any unit in the hospital! so while I hope that by the time you graduate things will have gotten better don't expect to walk out of school and in to a job.
school itself was okay if you have good study habits I.e. not cramming you should be fine
as chavamom said once you take the nclex you are an rn no matter what your gpa, however some hospitals did ask for transcripts when I applied as a new grad just fyi
pm me if you have more questions

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 1:57 pm
chavamom wrote:
Mitzvahmom - I get calls about coming to your state to work as a "traveler" all the time. What's this about there being no jobs?

Those are the jobs that take away nurses from getting overtime, or even full time! Your not well liked on the floor, and it's not a permeant job. The floor I am volunteering on had 10 openings and 200 applicants, in the end they hired internally!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 3:34 pm
lost wrote:

Can you work in a different location - school or dr's office or clinic ?

lost

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 3:40 pm
chocolate mouse, what you suggest is a nursing school grads nightmare. Doing that would force one to take a salary which is a fraction of a hospital nurse salary, making loan repayment or even meeting costs of daily living impossible. You also loose out on clinical experience that a new graduate desperately needs to become a full fledged nurse. Even visiting nurse- which is what I'm looking at now- though it pays well, you really don't learn what you need to know to complete your nursing education.

chavamom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 3:42 pm
Mitzvahmom wrote:
chavamom wrote:

Those are the jobs that take away nurses from getting overtime, or even full time! Your not well liked on the floor, and it's not a permeant job. The floor I am volunteering on had 10 openings and 200 applicants, in the end they hired internally!

It's funny - that's a complaint you hear but I can't imagine why it would make any sense. It costs a fortune to bring in a traveler. If there were workers to be had or they could give their workers overtime (at a substantial savings, trust me), why would they be bringing in a traveler? And for the record, I never had anything but appreciation when I have worked as a "agency" nurse. Perhaps b/c the nurses were tired of working "short" and were happy to have the help.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics