Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nursing school
Previous  1  2

gold21

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 4:43 pm
my sis is a new graduate from Beth Israel nursing school, and she says its really hard to find a hospital job these days...

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 4:47 pm
chavamom wrote:
Mitzvahmom wrote:
chavamom wrote:
Mitzvahmom - I get calls about coming to your state to work as a "traveler" all the time. What's this about there being no jobs?

Those are the jobs that take away nurses from getting overtime, or even full time! Your not well liked on the floor, and it's not a permeant job. The floor I am volunteering on had 10 openings and 200 applicants, in the end they hired internally!

It's funny - that's a complaint you hear but I can't imagine why it would make any sense. It costs a fortune to bring in a traveler. If there were workers to be had or they could give their workers overtime (at a substantial savings, trust me), why would they be bringing in a traveler? And for the record, I never had anything but appreciation when I have worked as a "agency" nurse. Perhaps b/c the nurses were tired of working "short" and were happy to have the help.

Could be, but the place where I am volunteering the nurses complain that they do not always get full time or any over time, because of the traveling nurses. That it's sometimes difficult when the traveling nurse does not know how things are done on that floor, and it's like constantly training a new nurse every day. Maybe your a good nurse as a traveling nurse, I do not know. I just know that when I followed this group of nurses around they wished they had more full time regular nurses, rather than traveling ones.

NativeMom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 5:50 pm
I"m in nursing school school now and it's tough. I'm in a BSN program upstate NY and we have some amazing clinical sites. I also love the program. I've made some amazing friends and we formed study groups which have helped a lot, if you can do that I HIGHLY recommend it because that's what got me through this past semester!! The hospitals already started recruiting us, they have so much to offer--including paying off our loans and helping us pay for the NCLEX. It's rather tempting, the only problem is that I have to look for a job around NYC when I'm done. If I can't I may just stay here, from what you're saying it doesn't sound promising Rolling Eyes

lost

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 6:22 pm
Nativemom, are you serious?!!!

The hospitals upstate are hiring? I'll go anywhere for a job. How far upstate? Can you give me an example of a hospital?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 3:18 pm
I am starting a 2 year BSN nursing program iyh in Sept. I just foun this old thread - is the job situation for new grads in the Brooklyn area very difficult? What other options will I have?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 3:40 pm
Yes it is still very difficult to find a nursing job in NYC. Hopefully by the time you graduate things will improve.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics