Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Aspirator

drez

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 5:32 am
What are people's opinions about using this? In America they give it to you in the hospital but here in Israel I took my baby to the dr for a cold and he said not to use it because it might mess up her nose!! shock How does pushing air in the nose get it messed up? I am afraid to use it but she is so congested and having a hard time eating and sleeping. I feel the need to help her by clearing her nose out...

hila

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 5:52 am
You mean the rubber bulb thing with a plastic tube ?
It is NOT to blow air up the nose, but to suck the gunk out !

I have occasionally used them - much to the disgust of the baby in question.

I find a steam machine - vapouriser- a lot more effective.

drez

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 6:01 am
yes that rubber bulb. I know it pulls things out but you are also pushing air in... We tried a vaporizer with my older one and felt it made no difference. The aspirator is a temporary fix just to help the baby breath. I know it is not going to cure her but I just don't want to harm her and mess up her cute button nose Wink

hila

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 6:07 am
sorry - I disagree 100%. It should not pudh any air in to the nose.
Squeeze the bulb, then insert into that cute button nose, then gently let go. It should get the gunk into it, but NO air should be pushed in to the nose.

I found that using it just befoer nursing helped them to suck. However it was a long time ago (my baby is 14) and maybe theories have changed.

Marion

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 6:28 am
If you're pushing air in then you're using it wrong.

drez

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 7:17 am
uh oh... I was putting it in and then squeezing!!! Do you think I did a lot of damage??? I also only do it before I nurse.

bnm

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 11:48 am
your supposed to squeeze, insert, and let go slowly so the thing sucks goop up. I found it useful to use saline drops a minute before so everything is soft.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Feb 01 2010, 11:58 am
Agree with the fact that you should NOT be pushing air in. If you are, you're not using it correctly.

My dr says it's a good idea. I also use saline first if the stuff isn't watery enough to suck out easily. I also found it helpful for short term issues, such as right before nursing.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 01 2010, 12:19 pm
Yes, you were doing it wrong. But don't worry. You didn't do any damage. Just made baby slightly uncomfortable and did not get out all the gunk that you could have. No harm done. Smile
Now that you know how to do it correctly, it will be ok.

Babies cannot blow their own nose, so of course you should use an aspirator when necessary. Why should they suffer just because they cannot blow their nose on their own? An aspirator is a wonderful tool to help baby feel more comfortable, and to get the gunk out before it c"v becomes infected.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics