Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What would you do?

amother

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 11:40 pm
I accepted a teaching job for next school year. A few days after I took the job, I found out that I am pregnant. I am IYH due in the middle of the school year. At this point my plan is and has always been to be a SAHM. It's too early in my pregnancy to say anything to the school about my intention and we really need the money up until I have the baby. I think it's totally not right going into the school year knowing I don't plan to finish it up. But then again who knows? Maybe while on maternity leave I'll decide I don't want to stay home. So should I call them up and cancel my job or should I take it and take it as it goes (worst comes to worst leaving for maternity leave and not coming back)? What would you do?

baby's mom

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 11:57 pm
I had the same problem and decided to tell my boss. I asked her not to say anything to anyone. I felt it was the right thing to do. She was very understanding (she was expecting as well) and had someone take over when I had my baby.

amother

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 12:00 am
I think I would wait a few more weeks if I do that. She happens to be a very warm person and I don't anticipate her reacting in a not nice way. The only question is, if I do decide to leave 1/2 way through the year, should I save them that trouble and let them hire one person for the whole year and forget about me (even though we need the money, and there is a tiny, tiny chance I would want to come back after maternity leave)?

happyone

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 12:02 am
I would tell her honestly that you are very early in a pregnancy, and hope to feel well and continue during the pregnancy, but felt obligated to simply let her know, as you will need your six week maternity leave. I would not mention that you might quit after the baby, as you are still unsure, and if you are happy with the job, will appreciate the outlet.
If you are sure about quitting, I suggest you be more honest, as it is unfair to a class of students to put them through this. A change of teachers mid-year can throw a class of sometimes for a while. However, emergencies and unplanned situations do and can arise and that is not in our control.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics