Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
VERY CONSTIPATED BABY:( need advice from experienced mommies
Previous  1  2  3  Next

rydys

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 11:31 am
First of all, get rid of the oatmeal--it is very constipating and not necessary. If you want to give solids, stick to fruits and veges. You can make your own prune baby food--soak prunes in hot water to cover, then put them in the blender until pureed.

Apple juice works just as well as prune juice for consitpation, but interestingly apple sauce is constipating so beware.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 11:33 am
rydys wrote:
First of all, get rid of the oatmeal--it is very constipating and not necessary. If you want to give solids, stick to fruits and veges. You can make your own prune baby food--soak prunes in hot water to cover, then put them in the blender until pureed.

Apple juice works just as well as prune juice for consitpation, but interestingly apple sauce is constipating so beware.

Is barley cereal also very constipating?

momomany

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 11:45 am
For my dd, who always had issiues with hard stools, any cereal was constipating. Even the whole grain cheerios weren't great. The processed "white" baby cereals are really not great for promoting bms

Hooray

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 2:36 am
I didn't read the whole thread...so if this is a repeat, I'm sorry. But I have found white grapejuice to work wonders - believe it or not.

sarah86

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 3:50 am
My baby was very constipated too. Cut out rice cereal and bananas. My dr said to use oats instead. Give the baby prunes 3-4 times a day. I also added prune juice to her oat cereal instead of water. And when it got really bad I would use a suppository. Good luck!

amother

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 7:03 am
make sure the kid drinks a lot.

do the best now with foods that are not constipating.

and to get over this bout,
if the baby is having trouble while he/she is trying to get it out, clean a thermometer really well (with alcohol) and dry it, then use it to try to help the hard stool to come out. sorry if tmi, we went through a lot of problems, and this helped us.

supermommy86

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 3:35 pm
Prunes, dates, figs...fruits that you may have left over from Tu BShvat might work!

When my daughter was constipated, I would make sure she was hydrated, got her eating those loosening fruits, and helped her along. We'd do tummy excersizes and leg movements. It was really painful to see her pushing and getting frustrated. Also, put vaseline right by her tushy. That will ease everything too.

Ashrei

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 4:59 pm
Hi! I'm reviving this thread bc a lot of people recommended combination of prune juice and dark karo syrup in the formula. (I can give him formula although I'm nursing) - how much of what? could someone give me a recipe for this?

gibberish

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 5:21 pm
Did you try switching formulas? I found that switching to the gentle formula made a world of a difference

bamba

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 7:47 pm
Me too. I changed my babies formula and he was much better!

innovative mom

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 8:32 pm
If it's just a one time thing, I'd advise giving extra water with brown sugar in it first. If it's something that's bren going on steadily for a while I would definitely try the prune juice or a bottle of senna tea, it works wonders as a laxative. Refuah shilaima and good luck.

acccdac

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 8:51 pm
My baby is off formula and still constipated. I give her half a cap of miralax in her milk every other day.

She has figured out how to stop herself from going when it hurts her. With the miralax she is able to go.

tymama

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 9:16 pm
gold21 wrote:
my son was always constipated until we switched to a gentler formula, Enfamil Gentlease. I highly recommend it.

My pediatrician also recommended we switch from similac to enfamil gentlease. Took a few weeks to work but when did, made huge difference. Doc also said not to give fruit juice because then she won't learn how to push when she's constipated and little older. So hard for her now but in long run will be beneficial.
Also good old thermometer in the tush works too.

imaima

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:14 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Is barley cereal also very constipating?

I think barley is way too heavy for a baby stomach. My son had stomachache at 1 y.o. rom barley.

livinginflatbus

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:20 pm
My son is constipated since two months. After a lot of heartache and a few doctors wat works best for him is mira lax. First large amounts and then doc kept lowering it. I take him off and hes back to severe constipation

WaterKissed

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:26 pm
Ashrei wrote:
Hi! I'm reviving this thread bc a lot of people recommended combination of prune juice and dark karo syrup in the formula. (I can give him formula although I'm nursing) - how much of what? could someone give me a recipe for this?

I've seen a drastic difference from a tablespoon of prune juice in a 4-5 oz. Bottle. I did this regularly for many months from infant to toddler until my kids grew out of it.

sheifelah

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:27 pm
http://wholesomebabyfood.momta.....p.htm

I think peaches are good.

working hard

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 11:11 pm
My babies reacted very badly to the rice cereal - terrible constipation. I switched to oats and it was much better

Ashrei

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 11:39 am
Thanks so much for your replies! Here's what I got:

NO:
grain cereal (oats, rice, nothing)
bananas
apple sauce

YES:
prunes such as 1 tsp juice to 4-5oz water
prunes for food
miralax (consulting with doctor), or 1/2 cap in milk every other day
senna tea
grape juice (from another thread)

(I just am not putting in anything about the brown sugar bc in my baby's case, it's not really a one time thing. Even as a newborn, he wouldn't go for a few days at a time quite often. Since starting solids, forget it...)

Anything to add to either category?

innovative mom

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 12:04 pm
Adding additional water to the child's diet is also important. An extra bottle or two could be very beneficial.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics