Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
VERY CONSTIPATED BABY:( need advice from experienced mommies
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 12:06 pm
Sorry don't have time to read through everything, but did anyone mention the non-food options? A little vaseline on the finger or a rectal thermometer, inside into baby's bottom just a little bit, and turn it round. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two. Only do occasionally as otherwise it can make the muscles weak. Also, bicycling the legs.

summer0808

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 6:19 pm
there is also pear juice. by gerber or beechnut in the baby section. tastes much better than prune and works wonders. I give about 1/2 cup for maintenance for kids that tend to get constipated.

My 1.5 yr old was VERY constipated after Pesach. I gave suppositories which helped a little. The Dr explained that the suppositories help the bottom. But for blockage (like my son had) you have to give miralax to clean the system. She recommended staying on it, but I know this child doesnt have this tendency so once he was clear it didnt happen again.

I use pear juice myself in pregnancy and postpartum. Works wonders! I drink prob 3/4 cup a day.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 7:50 pm
DS qas constipated since birth. A GI put him on a regimen of benefiber/a childrens laxative/and probiotics. He had poor weight gain so he was given 1 bottle a day of allimentum formula. GI said that was the only formula I could use. He was weaned off everything within a few months and has never been constipated since and is very regular BH. I do continue with the probiotics. DS is now 5.

Esther23

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 8:52 pm
Maybe try to help him by getting to the source of the constipation which might be poor digestion. You can give him digestive enzymes along with probiotics for a few days/weeks those will improve his digestion and then also senna which is an herb that works as a laxative. I use these products from shaklee company and was happy with results or you can see what your local health food store carries.

livinginflatbus

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 8:54 pm
One doctor reccomended senna and then after eztended use it stopped working and just bc causes problems...

Ashrei

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 9:23 pm
Esther23 wrote:
Maybe try to help him by getting to the source of the constipation which might be poor digestion. You can give him digestive enzymes along with probiotics for a few days/weeks those will improve his digestion and then also senna which is an herb that works as a laxative. I use these products from shaklee company and was happy with results or you can see what your local health food store carries.

I have some probiotics from Culturelle I can easily add to his food. But as far as digestive enzymes, I have no experience with this supplement. Is that what I ask for? "digestive enzymes?" are they easy to add to mush?

Esther23

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 9:59 pm
I've never tried a different company. The one I have from Shaklee (called EZgest) is made from 5 plant based enzymes (I'll copy the names from the bottle in case that helps you Smile lactase, alpha-galactosidase, protease, amylase and lipase). It's a capsule, and for a baby you open it and pour half the capsules powder into their bottle or mix it into mushy food. That along with their probiotics helped.
You can ask the health food store for digestive enzymes, see what he recommends for a baby.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 10:46 pm
I gave my baby pear juice. It comes in a bottle next to the baby food jars. I never heard of it before and it didn't think it would work when my dr. recommended it. It works better than prune juice surprisingly. I gave a bottle of pear juice 1x a day. I've suggested this to other people and they thanked me for this easy remedy.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Jun 20 2015, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
I gave my baby pear juice. It comes in a bottle next to the baby food jars. I never heard of it before and it didn't think it would work when my dr. recommended it. It works better than prune juice surprisingly. I gave a bottle of pear juice 1x a day. I've suggested this to other people and they thanked me for this easy remedy.

Where did you find pear juice? Checked in the local stores but could not find a

Jewishmofm

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 5:26 am
Haven't read all, but if you are using senna, you must make sure your child is hydrated and gets a lot of fiber. You may also want to try an enema. If it's a case of "nothing works" you may need an xray to see just where the bock is, and to assess just what your next step will be.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics