Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen Mishaps/Klutz Cook Award (merged)
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Rivk

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 9:31 pm
Argh! I hate when these things happen! I was just shaking some red potatoes, olive oil and garlic in a ziploc bag, trying to start my Purim/ Shabbos cooking early. I guess I got a little over zealous in my shaking because suddenly the bag flew open and the contents flew out all over my kitchen floor!!!!! Surprised I just stood there among the rolling potatoes and garlic/ oil splashes for a few seconds and then Rolling Eyes started to clean up. It should be a kapparah! Anyone have any kitchen mishap stories to share?

hisorerus

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 9:45 pm
I was once helping my mother pack up food for Shabbos. We put the pasta salad into huge ziplock bags and started puttting the bags in the fridge. I was rambling on about how useful these bags are, when SPLAT! The one I was holding popped open ALL over the bottom of the fridge and the kitchen floor. Thankfully, I saw the humor in the situation, and so did my mother. We joked that this has got to be the only time we ever clean the fridge! (My family doesn't stay home for Pesach.)

I'm sure that ANY kitchen mishap has already been done by me Rolling Eyes- I'm a total bumbler. I must be the ONLY one to cut myself (long, bleeding gash) from a regular DINNER KNIFE. (I was washing dishes... perhaps it's best not to ak!)

I have not-so-fond memories of letting the Challa dough rise in an uncovered tall pot, right under the range hood. Of course I forgot about the dough, and when I came back, the top of the dough had hit the greasy, dirty, range hood. Oops! There went half my Challa!

I also often turn on the wrong burner, usually the one under my dirty dishes (piled on the stove when there's no more room in the sink)... it sometimes takes me a LONG time to notice! (usually when I burn myself trying to clean up Wink)

I've burned just about every type of thing over the years; ruined "never-fail" sponge-cake; and broken at least one of every type of dish. Not sure if it's a kitchen or a comedy! Kitchens are FUN! Very HappyLOL

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 9:47 pm
a frying pan, full of finely chopped omnion & oil, smashing face down onto the floor 30 min b4 Shabbos.

B'H, nobody got hurt

who can beat this one?

hisorerus

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 9:55 pm
LOL, FY! I just had a vision of the time I put a big helping of hot spaghetti and sauce onto a styrofoam plate to enjoy on the couch. I gently set it down on the arm of the sofa, and then watched incredulously as the not-quite-so-level plate stayed stable, as the entire contents SLID off all over the couch! You won't appreciate it unless you have experience with styrofoam and greasy food... Wink

Of course the couch is absorbent fabric and has no washable cover... Very Happy

Ya know, these times that I spill are good, cuz then I actually have to clean up!

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 10:26 pm
lol!!
u r a riot!!!

imaamy

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 11:36 pm
Several years ago I was making carrot cake in a 9x13 Pyrex (glass) dish. As I went to put the batter in the oven, crash and splat--all over the tile floor. It was hard to clean up the splinters of glass, and one spot of batter I never could get out of the floor grout!

sarahd

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 3:38 am
Well, I probably take the prize for dumb mistakes. For example, I decided to Easy-Off my oven racks. To make life easier, I sprayed them on the kitchen table, which I covered with newspaper....but it didn't quite reach the ends of the table, nor did the paper protect the walls. My table is attached to the wall, and the metal rods also got sprayed. I didn't even think about it till the next morning, when the varnish came off half the table, the rods had permanent spatters and the walls was Messed with brown. Three years later, all the above still remain. I also at the same time managed to get the enamel off the frame of the stove, and mark the floor.

BlumaG

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 8:50 am
has anybody strained noodles without a colander right b4 dinner n dropped them all in the sink? thats when I went out n bought a colander, we were pretty newly married at the time

technic

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 9:26 am
sarahd pple like u exist 2 make me feel better abt myself (its a filthy job but someone has 2 do it - thank u Very Happy )

Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 9:42 am
I am digging deep into memory here, but nope, nothing Very Happy
but then again, have hardly done any cooking the past 2 years Wink

amother

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 10:02 am
Who cooks?

Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 10:12 am
why ask that as amother..............?????????????/

my husband cooks, he's an amazing cook, ka'h, learned it from his mom.

hadasa

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 10:20 am
Since Purim's coming up, I remember the time I made a Hamantashen recipe that used margarine. The marge was frozen, so I put it on the radiator to defrost. I was taking the Hamantashen out of the oven, when I noticed the defrosted/melting(!) margarine, dripping down the radiator. I had forgotten to put it in! Similarly, I once made Challah dough and forgot to put in the yeast. embarrassed

technic

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 10:26 am
someone gave me a great way 2 ice a cake - when its just out of the oven and warm, cover the top in choc buttons, which will then soften - u smooth it all over w a knife and voila - real choc icing and no mess...I discovered, however (at 12 45am Exclamation ) one motzei shabbat, the night b4 one of my childrens parties, that if u try 2 do this with a FROZEN cake on which u place the buttons and then put under the grill, the buttons burn and the whole mess has 2 be scraped off and u get 2 bed even later than u thought u would Sad

Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 10:46 am
LOL to the technic kitchen queen!!!

Yael

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 11:20 am
I once took out a glass dish of salmon from the oven to see if it was ready, and used just one hand cuz I couldnt be bothered to find the other glove. as I put it in the whole thing slipped out of my hand and broke on the bottom of the oven. Sad
it was quite a mess to clean and then I had to make supper all over again! Crying

to top it all off, while I was cleaning up my toddler found a bottle of oil and started to spill it on the floor behind me. shock luckily I started to laugh instead of cry. I couldnt believe my luck.

just this morning I was peacefully eating a bowl of cereal on the couch b/c I wanted to watch a certain part of a cooking video, and my son decided he had to eat my cereal too, and hit the whole thing out of my hands, all over my skirt, the couch and carpet. I still have peices of cereal stuck in the carpet that didnt come out when I vaccumed. I'm going to have to scrub it or something.

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 12:31 pm
Lol Hisorerus are you for real LOL

Quote:
Three years later, all the above still remain. I also at the same time managed to get the enamel off the frame of the stove, and mark the floor

Sarahd oh well when my kids made a mark from their pool balls in the playroom my husband said we have to have atleast one room to remind us of the churban. The problem is my whole house is starting to look that way Confused

Quote:
and my son decided he had to eat my cereal too, and hit the whole thing out of my hands, all over my skirt, the couch and carpet

Yael your child sounds like mine for sure Smile

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 2:03 pm
Quote:
I must be the ONLY one to cut myself (long, bleeding gash) from a regular DINNER KNIFE.

umm.... no..... embarrassed and it was just after I was discussing with friend abt how harmless dinner knives are - the only hazard they pose aare tickling s1 to death.

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 2:04 pm
BlumaG wrote:
has any strained noodles without a colander right b4 dinner n dropped them all in the sink?

and again... embarrassed some ppl never learn do they

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 2:07 pm
Quote:
I must be the ONLY one to cut myself (long, bleeding gash) from a regular DINNER KNIFE.

My sister did that so much so when she went to the Hospital they double checked to make sure it wasn't her husband who c"v slashed her. shock Thats how deep it was poor husband!

Last edited by Tefila on Tue, Mar 22 2005, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen