Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen Mishaps/Klutz Cook Award (merged)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

cindy324

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 2:14 pm
Where do I begin?

I burnt a loaf of gefilte fish, only noticed it when I smelled the smell of burnt sugar.

I was heating up oil to fry onions. I forgot about it, and by the time I noticed, the oil was too hot, put the onions in anyway, the whole thing overflew, all over my Ceran top stove, down the sides, onto the floor...lot of fun was had by all Rolling Eyes

batya_d

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 2:35 pm
cindy324 wrote:
Where do I begin?

I burnt a loaf of gefilte fish, only noticed it when I smelled the smell of burnt sugar.

This happens at least 1 out of 3 times I make gefilte fish!

Earlier this week I put some frozen french fries in the oven and forgot about them for HOURS. I finally smelled smoke and pulled out the tray of blackened fries. DH said, "be more careful next time, that's a waste of money!" I said, "Hey, you should say B"H at least I didn't burn the kitchen down..." Rolling Eyes

besimcha

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 7:00 am
When I was first married and my FIL came to visit, I heated up oil to fry some vegetables, then turned around to cut up the veggies and forgot about the oil... then turned around and saw this huge flame in the pot where the oil had been. (My FIL has since been convinced that yes I can cook.)

suomynona

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 7:02 am
A few weeks ago I put sugar instead of salt into the chicken soup.
Since I divide and freeze for a few weeks, we're still eating that batch.

tm

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 7:12 am
when I was single, I made the salt water for Seder and instead of putting in salt, I put in sugar!

tm

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 7:15 am
I love this post! my husband always thinks I'm the only klutz around ...

Marion

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 7:39 am
I once put icing sugar into pancakes and couldn't figure out why the batter wasn't getting any thicker.

Seraph

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 9:06 am
I'm the OP. Guess I'm not embarassed to come out of the closet anymore if I'm not the only "talented" one here.

I've put vanilla instead of soy sauce into a chinese stir fry. Tasted interesting, to say the least.
I forgot to put salt in my bagels I was making...

Quite a few times I boil things to death and only realize it when the house smells of smoke.

A week or so ago, I went to visit my next door neighbor for a quick second- while something was boiling on the stove. I came back and saw I had a huge charcoal mass on the bottom of my pot, and the whole house smelled of smoke for a couple of days- even with my airing out the house, putting a fan in to blow out the smoke, etc...

atlastamom

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 9:38 am
yeah, but you have "pregnancy brain", so you're entitled! Very Happy

Seraph

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 9:49 am
almostamom wrote:
yeah, but you have "pregnancy brain", so you're entitled! Very Happy

I do it pregnant or not... so no excuse...

Motek

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 2:22 pm
Tefila wrote:
Any more mishaps since the start of your thread Twisted Evil

yup, in new thread "Kitchen Talent"

Seraph

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 2:34 pm
BlumaG wrote:
has anybody strained noodles without a colander right b4 dinner n dropped them all in the sink? thats when I went out n bought a colander, we were pretty newly married at the time

How about missing the collander and getting all the noodles in the sink?

Ima'la

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 3:41 pm
I seasoned homemade pizza with nutmeg instead of pizza spice! (Those 2 spices were the same brand, so the containers look identical - except for the name! - and I grabbed the wrong one.) Edible, but not a flavor I care to repeat!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 4:34 pm
Oh, that reminds me - I put GARLIC instead of GINGER in apple pie once! we couldn't eat it!

this thread was done before and it was pretty funny then, too!

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 1:46 pm
10 months later - there must have been many more mishaps to report! Tongue Out

Ima'la

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 2:03 pm
Ahem, Motek, did you re-read this entire thread while your ONIONS were frying, by any chance? Tongue Out

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 2:06 pm
Umm yes, this week I was frying onions, the flame was up too high and the alarm went off and the fire dept. came ! So embarrassing. I offered them dinner, but they declined. I wonder why!

greentiger

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 3:08 pm
OMG! I'm reading this thread and realized I put some carrots on the stove to boil AGES ago. Ooops.

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 7:32 pm
Ima'la wrote:
Ahem, Motek, did you re-read this entire thread while your ONIONS were frying, by any chance? Tongue Out

I've learned my lesson, no, I didn't!

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 3:59 pm
People post their menus, but they rarely let us know which things came out really well or really bad. Anybody make anything recently that was particularly awful? I did, not too long ago.

During my pan-Asian Shabbat dinner, I made these Korean vegetable pancakes. They were made with a combination of rice and wheat flour, and had all sorts of vegetables and a tasty dipping sauce. They looked, and tasted, like disks made of rubber bands ground up with uncooked flour. I considered various uses for the 300 or so I had left over -- using them to cover the drain in our old-fashioned bathtub, using them as frisbees, throwing them into corners to attract and choke the mice. I found it hard to believe that any of us were able to digest them, and assume that, many years from now, they'll still be wedged someplace in our digestive tracts. What a waste of beautiful asparagus.
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen