Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen Mishaps/Klutz Cook Award (merged)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Maya

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 4:03 pm
I was baking a cake two weeks ago, and decided to make it somewhat dietetic. I substituted most of the oil with applesauce, and used Splenda instead of sugar. I hadn't tasted something so bad in a long time... I learned my lesson that it's either cake or weight loss, but not both. Smile

NativeMom

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 4:05 pm
Maya wrote:
I was baking a cake two weeks ago, and decided to make it somewhat dietetic. I substituted most of the oil with applesauce, and used Splenda instead of sugar. I hadn't tasted something so bad in a long time... I learned my lesson that it's either cake or weight loss, but not both. Smile

I did the same thing and stupid me tried it when we were having company. I tasted it when it was done and Puke It was so nasty. I had DH go out and buy something for dessert. I never make anything dietetic anymore

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 4:06 pm
Maya, I agree. When I read a recipe that says applesauce, this and that and 2 unhealthy cups of splenda I skim the page and say rather eat a normal delicious piece of cake then eat some tasteless garbage made of 60 ingredients.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 4:17 pm
Clasrissa, thanks for the laugh! Keep on cooking and baking... I'd like to hear what other adventurous delicacies you're making LOL

zigi

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 4:22 pm
I was making brownies I had the oven on 500 by accident oops! they baked in less than 10 minutes. I burnt the top.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 4:28 pm
I cooked a stapler once shock . I turned the oven on to preheat and didn't check if there was anything in there. I always check now. I'm sure I have other disasters, but I can't think of any now.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 4:30 pm
About a month ago, I had very little flour in my pantry...forgot to buy....I had to decide between making homemade Challah, which my son won't forgive me if I don't, or dessert for Shabbat. Obviously, I went with the Challah for my boy and I decided to try a flourless chocolate cake which I found in the Passover section of a cookbook I have. It came out SOOOO DISGUSTING!!!!! It was supposed to be fudgey and chocolatey and instead it was clumpy and eggy (is that a word?) and stuck to the roof of my mouth. Needles to say the cake stayed on the counter the whole Shabbat, untouched other than the corner used for tasting it. Anyways, a relative came over on Sunday and saw the cake, tried it and loved it. She's the type that eats anything high in calories as bad as it is. She took it home. Twisted Evil

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 4:31 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I cooked a stapler once shock . I turned the oven on to preheat and didn't check if there was anything in there. I always check now. I'm sure I have other disasters, but I can't think of any now.

How did a stapler get in the oven? Confused

yo'ma

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 4:33 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
yo'ma wrote:

How did a stapler get in the oven? Confused

I guess one of my kids put it there. It's a good place as any, isn't it? LOL

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 4:34 pm
I guess when people talked about having basic staples in your kitchen or pantry, you took them literally.

ESB

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 4:38 pm
I made a huge fruit soup for the summer. I wanted to be real nice so no canned fruits only fresh. Peeled and cut. In the end I had to mix in eggs. whatever it came out like scrambled eggs. The whole thing was garbage. Sad Sad Sad

Crayon210

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 4:40 pm
This thread has been merged with an ancient but beloved one on the same topic.

Enjoy!

elf123

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 6:00 pm
We once went to an aufruf kiddush on Shabbos where they served an UNBELIEVABLE trifle, loaded with fresh fruit, custard and whipped cream. As soon as I could I got the recipe and tried it myself. Part of the recipe involved dipping sponge cake in fruit-flavored liqueur. As we are not major liqueur drinkers, I went to the store and bought some for my recipe. Well, it turned out that I dipped my cake a little bit too long, because that trifle was giving off alcoholic fumes that could literally be smelled outside the door of my apartment...Oh well, at least I served it for dessert on Shabbos, when there was no danger of any drunk driving incidents....

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 7:10 pm
A few years ago, when the peanut butter/soy sauce dressing over bok-choy salad was so popular, I made some when entertaining for Shabbos lunch. I didn't realize that I hadn't closed the jar of dressing completely, and there were still big chunks of peanut butter. So I grabbed it and gave it a HUGE shake: there was peanut butter dressing all over my walls, sinks, cupboards, ME!! EVERYWHERE! I think it even hit the ceiling! I didn't make that salad again for a while!
embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 7:16 pm
I just thought of an old one. I invited a friend to dinner, and nothing came out right. Everything tasted bland or overcooked. For dessert, I'd made some ridiculous recipe, a cake with yogurt or something. I took it out of the oven and put the pan on the stove while we ate our awful dinner. I didn't realize I'd left a burner on, and had put the Pyrex cake pan right on the hot burner. As I was getting up to get the cake, we heard this explosion of glass -- the cake pan had shattered from the direct heat, my cake flew into the air and dropped with a loud thud onto the pile of broken glass. All I could do was dramatically announce, "Dessert is served!"

yo'ma

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 7:22 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I just thought of an old one. I invited a friend to dinner, and nothing came out right. Everything tasted bland or overcooked. For dessert, I'd made some ridiculous recipe, a cake with yogurt or something. I took it out of the oven and put the pan on the stove while we ate our awful dinner. I didn't realize I'd left a burner on, and had put the Pyrex cake pan right on the hot burner. As I was getting up to get the cake, we heard this explosion of glass -- the cake pan had shattered from the direct heat, my cake flew into the air and dropped with a loud thud onto the pile of broken glass. All I could do was dramatically announce, "Dessert is served!"

You reminded me that I once made pizza in a pyrex pan and after it was finished, dummy me, placed it on top of the still hot toaster oven and like your cake, it also exploded. Is there a warning on those pyrex pans? Rolling Eyes

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 7:26 pm
Yes, the warning says, "WARNING: If you're not smart enough to avoid using this on direct heat, please do not purchase."

In my case, it should also say, "If you're also the type to serve a boring overcooked meal followed by a boring yogurt cake, please consider ordering in, instead."

anon

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 8:58 pm
Pyrex may not be the best choice of baking dish for scatterbrains. I shattered TWO pyrex dishes on two different occasions by placing the hot dish in the sink and turning the faucet on. You would think I would've learned the first time. Supposedly, hot pyrex shatters when it comes in contact with something cold.

DREAMING

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 9:22 pm
I had prepared the chicken for supper and thought it was all nicely baking when I realized that I couldn't recall turning on the oven so I went to the kitchen and sure enough it was closed. I opened it up and went about my day. Later the table was set and I was about to dish is up when I opened the oven and realized I NEVER PUT THE CHICKEN IN THE OVEN!! when I had put all the sauces back in the fridge I put the chicken in too!

anonymom

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 10:45 pm
Once on the 3rd night of a "3 day yom tov" I popped the pan of cooked and sliced meat into the oven. As usual on the 2nd night, we took our time starting the meal, to give the food time to get nice and hot. When I went to take it out to serve the main course, I discovered it was the leftover (Pesach) chulent, all nice and hot!, which I had put in the refrigerator in an identical aluminum pan.
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen