Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Speech therapy evaluation for school age child

amother

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 1:05 pm
I had my child evaluated by the Board of Ed. My childs doctor read the evaluation and said that my child has a significant language based learning disablity and my child should get help for it. My child is currently receiving services for speech therapy from the board of ed. It seems that this is not doing the job. I am looking for an opinion what is exactly the problem. Does anybody know somebody that does this?

sky

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 1:12 pm
Where are you located?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 1:25 pm
Brooklyn

MomTaxi

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 12:09 pm
Not sure how old your child is. In any event when you say its not enough have you contacted the therapist to ask of his/her progress? From personal experience I can tell you , you are your childs best advocate, speech often goes hand and hand with OT (occupational therapy) it couldn't hurt to have an eval for that too, don't wait! if your child is in school get a referral from the teacher/school (free) , you should have a meeting with your board to discuss what level child is at and they need to give you support for that even sending the therapist to your yeshiva, some schools are better equipped then others to deal with speech, luckily the yeshivas are getting better and better at helping. good luck

miami85

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:
I had my child evaluated by the Board of Ed. My childs doctor read the evaluation and said that my child has a significant language based learning disablity and my child should get help for it. My child is currently receiving services for speech therapy from the board of ed. It seems that this is not doing the job. I am looking for an opinion what is exactly the problem. Does anybody know somebody that does this?

Can I ask based on what? Is your child's pediatrician a "developmental pediatrician?" B/c most are not that "up to date" in that area, and they go based on parental report. I'm a school psychologist and I've seen many doctors write "diagnoses" on the medicals that were not very well informed--both over and under diagnosed.
What did the psych/Ed eval reveal? that should corroborate learning difficulties as well. What did the CSE recommend at the meeting? Would your child qualify for SETSS?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children